Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 01/25/2021 at 12:27, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I had a nonfat latte with one shot in it three days post op. Once I was able to drink larger amounts of liquid I restarted my morning latte (two shots of espresso and steamed fairlife milk). A few days a week I have a cup of black coffee in the afternoon as well. I’m 2.5 months postop.

Never any issues, helps me get my Protein in, and is my big “treat” per day. My MD never really had an issue with coffee one way or the other- or if he did I must have blocked that messaging out or something haha.

Lucky! Mine is a stickler!

Yeah my dr said Decaf for now. I’m just too scared to try. Also, since coffee is a diuretic, it can cause dehydration so that’s my worry. We just gotta be careful.

On 01/27/2021 at 10:15, amyseattle said:

I can’t make sense of the differing opinions between surgeons- maybe if an individual had a particular condition there have to be exceptions. I just want my coffee! 😉

I asked my doc about this (the wide ranging post op requirements for not only caffeine but all foods) and he said in most cases the super conservative doctors either don’t like to deal with complaining patients or had a malpractice suit so they just give out the safest umbrella instructions to minimize the calls from people freaking out because they overdid it and are in pain (“but you said I could have carrots!!”). It also protects them legally if their instructions aren’t followed. I was told to try whatever I wanted after 6 weeks (maybe four I can’t remember now) and it would either agree with me or not.

My doc said caffeine was even okay like one cup at two week post op. Assuming you aren’t having problems getting your fluids in cause that’s why they say not to drink it is it’s a diuretic.

I caved (need to poop) and drank regular black coffee (with my famotadine) and just increased my Water to 70+ ounces that day to compensate for the diuretic effect of coffee. I’m 7 months post op with no issues. I drink 1.5 cups of black coffee a day.

I was allowed Decaf immediately before n after and was cleared to regular at first post op appointment. I love my coffee

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches