Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How hunger feels now

We often say hunger feels different after surgery.

Last night, I hosted Christmas drinks. With all the rushing about prepping I skipped lunch. Then over five hours I ate 4 crackers with blue cheese, 2 slices of bresola, 1/2 thin slice roast lamb, 2 slices of cucumber. It was enough. I wasn’t interested in eating more.

I woke at about 2am. Very restless. Tossed. Turned. Wriggled. Squirmed. Felt uncomfortable & a general discomfort. Then I realised: I was hungry. I was going to do a Nigella Lawson & raid the refrigerator for a midnight snack of leftovers but settled for a Protein Bar. And then I was able to go to sleep again. It’s happened once before. Very similar experience. Busy day so ate less. No dinner, just a canapé at a party. Then woken by the same feelings as last night.

I think this was a true hunger. My body needed fuel. Not a head hunger. Not a ‘I could eat’ hunger. Not a habit eating hunger. Not a craving hunger. Not a ‘oh I better have some lunch’ hunger. Not a ‘I’m starving’ hunger. All those reasons we used/use daily to justify our eating.

It got me thinking & made me question what hunger really feels like. What does your hunger feel like now?

I feel almost a pain. Like empty, discomfort? I didn't recognize it as hunger, for a long time. I thought it was just part of the healing process.

I wish I had true hunger instead of head hunger, worry hunger, anxiety hunger, and boredom hunger.

I had true hunger twice yesterday. Like you, @Arabesque, I feel restless with true hunger. I feel weak, achy, and unable to focus. Yesterday I had a Protein Shake for Breakfast and then my husband and I did some shopping. By the time we got home, I was HUNGRY. I ate a small hamburger patty (<3 oz) with cheese. I then went to the gym. I was tired at the gym. Instead of my normal 2 hour Saturday workout, I only made it about 70 minutes. On the drive home I felt that weak, restless feeling. My neighbor left some baked goods on our porch and I immediately gobbled down a small ( less than 2 inch diameter) molasses cookie and a bite of cranberry walnut bread. While those are not the best fuel choices in general, I am working towards becoming an intuitive eater and that was I ate. I probably should have had some healthy carbs with lunch to help fuel my workout, because I actually think the sugar gave me the boost I needed at the time. I then had chicken breast and veggies for dinner. Today, I am ready to give most of the rest of the home-baked goodies away to my dad or mother-in-law, but man are those molasses Cookies good. 😊

Interesting question...got me doing some self-reflecting.

Like you, I think I don't feel real hunger until its too late, meaning I'm probably already starving. This happens on the days that I forget to eat and/or was busy doing stuff.

I feel it in my throat, and to a lesser degree in my mouth, if that makes any sense? Pre-wls I felt it in my stomach, it was a tightening down there, sometimes painful, accompanied with a very strong ravenous need-to-eat feeling/thought that was hard to ignore. Now, the ravenous feeling/thought is no longer there, and i often "come to the realization" that I'm hungry. As if that throat feeling was probably there for a while, but I just noticed it. Or I'll make smacking noises in my mouth and have to think about it and then say "yep, I'm hungry...I should eat something".

I'm finding this difficult to explain!

I'm sure there is at least one (hopefully more) person/persons out there who knows what the eff I'm talking about and can help explain...lol

Edited to add: I don't think I feel weak/restless when I'm hungry though? I'll have to pay attention next time....

Edited by ms.sss

I have no hunger nerves waiting for them to come back, I actually get shaky and that is when i realize i need fuel.

9 hours ago, Mr Alley Gator said:

I have no hunger nerves waiting for them to come back, I actually get shaky and that is when i realize i need fuel.

When I start to get shaky I know I’m in trouble Mr Alley Gator cause it’s the beginning of a hyperglycaemic attack for me. Had a couple where I was able to grab some grapes or blueberries to ward it off but I had a bad one last week. Almost collapsed in the street (promise I wasn’t drunk) outside a store I frequent. It happened very quickly. They brought me inside, sat me down, gave me Water & a ‘medicinal’ rum ball. I nibbled & sipped for 30 mins until the weakness had passed. Memo to self: keep Protein bar in bag for emergencies.

Sometimes you just need that hit of sugar &/or carbs. Even a molasses cookie or cranberry walnut bread (sound delicious) @WishMeSmaller.

I think you’re right Ms.Sss. You feel that real hunger when it’s almost too late & you’re starving. I honestly didn’t feel hungry or want to eat before I went to bed.

It’s all so strange how hunger signals itself to us now.

I do not have it that bad my key is to keep electrolytes up and really helps

You folks have summed up my experiences, each and all. The worst is the shaky part. Though not diabetic, I do have a mojo kit to test blood sugar and ketone strips. Next time I’m shaky I’m going to prick that finger and check the numbers.

Arabesque, smart choice for Protein bar in the night. A small carb may have been quicker but then we’re back where we started...blood sugar drop in a few hours. This happened to me about a month ago, true hunger from no protein since 4pm, then 1:30am and unable to sleep. I wandered into kitchen and went for ‘quick’, ate 1/2 banana. Next time I’ll go for 1/2 protein bar.

I don't know if it's because I had a Loop DS, but my hunger is similar to before. If anything, it's a little more painful. But it seems to be getting less so now that I'm almost 5 months out. It's a burning/gnawing/empty feeling. The big difference now is that even a bite or two of something satisfies it and that is something I wished for my whole life. I used to need to eat so much to feel like I was content and got enough to eat. Now my stomach feels so comfortable with just a little food. That alone makes this surgery worth it for me!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

3 minutes ago, STLoser said:

I don't know if it's because I had a Loop DS, but my hunger is similar to before. If anything, it's a little more painful. But it seems to be getting less so now that I'm almost 5 months out. It's a burning/gnawing/empty feeling. The big difference now is that even a bite or two of something satisfies it and that is something I wished for my whole life. I used to need to eat so much to feel like I was content and got enough to eat. Now my stomach feels so comfortable with just a little food. That alone makes this surgery worth it for me!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes. I agree. I had sleeve but I know exactly what you're talking about. I also felt the same before. Like I needed huge quantities to feel satisfied. Now, just a little. And I feel much more comfortable and in control if I want to have something less healthy.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:00 AM, ms.sss said:

I feel it in my throat, and to a lesser degree in my mouth, if that makes any sense

My hunger is also in my mouth, then to a lesser degree in how my body reacts (headache, shaky, foggy) I never get stomach hunger pains anymore probably because there isn't much stomach left 🤫

I didn't recognize it as hunger for a long time, I thought it was just thirst and most of the time it is. Other times I must eat or I feel terrible. (Unless I'm fasting - I push right past all of these feelings)