Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much? HELP!

Hello I haven’t posted on here in a while. Down below are my stats...

Surgery date 1/23/2020

HW-255
SW-237
CW-130
GW-110-120

Please no negative comments...

I want to know does anyone feel like they are eating too much? My nutritionist says I need to stick to 800-1000 calories a day but it’s very hard. At 10 months out I am finding myself fitting more in my stomach and eating anywhere from 900 to 1500 calories a day....I don’t eat until beyond full...once I get full I stop! I am just concerned I’m eating more than usual. Anyone out there around my surgery date want to talk? I am thinking I need more support from people who have been or are going though what I am? I have great support at home but the more the better!

It also might be the holidays that has me feeling guilty. My nutritionist said i can have a cheat day and i did because i had pie....I just don’t want to gain weight. My BIGGEST fear! I did schedule an appointment next week to see a barbaric therapist to see what’s going on and why I am making myself feel like the absolute horrible person when I eat.

I couldn't help but laugh because your post says you're going to see a "barbaric" therapist! 😀 I assume you meant bariatric therapist. It's kinda funny.

That being said, I found when I was eating 800 calories/day that it was too little and my weight stalled so I stay around 1200 calories to continue losing weight.

My nutritionist never set a calorie goal, just Protein, Water, and reasonable number of carbs and portion sizes.

those last 20 lbs or so can be a BEAR to get off. It took me FOREVER to get them off. You might have to drop your calories and/or step up on your exercise to get the scale moving again, but it'll probably be slow regardless...

I can lose weight on 900-1500 calories. But we're all different and our calorie ranges can vary widely. I'm 5" taller than you, so that's one factor - and there may be others. It's really an individual thing. Your dietitian may be right in that you may have to drop back down to 800-1000 kcal/day, unfortunately..

I got an Apple iWatch and used the calorie meter to tell me approximately how many calories im using. So even though Im still trying to lose my last pounds, Im giving myself a mental break and just trying to stay under those calories. Yeah, it might be higher than the 1500 calories, but by losing over 100 pounds, i think I need a mental break. My weight has been steady which Im greatful for and Im sure Im not eating correctly and am possibly deluding myself. BUT I think we all need to mentally give ourselfves a break after all the hard work we've put in. Either that or Im just rationalizing my bad eating. Who knows? Just being honest.

2 hours ago, Krestel said:

My weight has been steady which Im greatful for and Im sure Im not eating correctly and am possibly deluding myself.

What do you mean "deluding yourself"? You're a normal weight. If you can maintain this and feel alright, i. e. no deficiencies in nutrients you're doing things right.

BUT I think we all need to mentally give ourselfves a break after all the hard work we've put in. Either that or Im just rationalizing my bad eating. Who knows? Just being honest.

Not only mentally, but also physically. A calorie deficit becomes more and more straining on both the body and the mind the leaner you get and the longer the time spent in a calorie deficit is.

I don't know how high your body fat percentage is but if you really want to lose more weight (i. e. body fat, not weight) you might want to stop looking at the classic bariatric stuff and start looking into things like "refeeds" and "calorie cycling".

Well I KNOW I probably eat more than a lot of people who have WLS, but that's mostly due to the fact that if I don't I feel like I'm going to pass out. I don't know if that's because of my surgery or what, but my blood sugar drops if I don't eat three meals and three to four Snacks a day. I see all these people who say they only eat three times a day and no snacks and I'm like 'How?' I feel like I'm going to pass out if I don't have my snacks (which usually consist of fruits and veggies with the occasional cheese stick). Personally, I think everyone is different and their bodies all handle the surgery in different ways so while one thing works for one person, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work for everyone.

You can only eat as much as you can eat. I had the same conversation with my surgeon’s medical team - you need to eat more to maintain/put on some weight. I eat three meals a day & 4-6 Snacks. There are not enough hours in the day to eat more frequently & I cannot physically eat more at a sitting. I only eat until I’m satisfied too never til busting full. I worry about returning to work this week as I can’t just can’t have multiple breaks to eat my snacks.

I don’t believe in cheat days because I think they’re a slippery slope too like you.

I try to add more nutrient dense food, like add milk powder to my milk, ensure my snacks have about on average 10g of Protein. I even use real dressings on my daily salads, no low fat diet dressings for me, to increase my calorie intake. I just make sure I hit my protein goal each day & ensure I have some fruit, vegetables, good carbs, dairy & some fats & lots of protein in my diet. I don’t count calories but am portion size conscious.

I believe my issue is that my metabolism is finally working & it’s going 3000 miles an hour. It’ll eventually slow & I’ll have to cut food out.

I hope the ‘barbaric’ therapist - tee hee - can offer some support in regards to the guilt you feel about possibly over eating. Good luck.

Intermittent Fasting really helped me shed the last 15 pounds. IF is a powerful tool. There are lots of threads here on IF, so do some searching if you are interested. Personally, I skip Breakfast and start my eating window around noon. I stop by 8 pm at the latest. I also try to exercise during my fasting time, as it just revs up the fat burning. You've already used the stored glycogen in the liver and muscles, so the body starts into the fat stores.

5 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

I see all these people who say they only eat three times a day and no Snacks and I'm like 'How?' I feel like I'm going to pass out if I don't have my snacks (which usually consist of fruits and veggies with the occasional cheese stick). Personally, I think everyone is different and their bodies all handle the surgery in different ways so while one thing works for one person, it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work for everyone.

The amount some people are eating is incredibly small IMO. Couldn't exist on this in the long run.

I found that using the Baritastic phone app keeps me on track. I can track calories, Protein, Carbs, Fat, Water, Multivitamin, Calcium, etc. I'm 7 weeks out and I did feel odd once the daily calories increased from around 400/600 to 600/800.

You're at a normal BMI right now - is it possible that your body is stabilizing at the weight it wants to be? The lower end of your goal range would put you at a BMI of 21 which is maybe just lower than you can easily maintain? Just a thought.

How can your metabolism not slow to a crawl at 600-800 calories? I feel like that low number long-term is just setting yourself up for gain in the future. I think your numbers are fantastic. 130 at 5' 1" is absolutely amazing. Work on building muscle, give credit where credit is due and enjoy those 1500 calories.

Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments! 😊