Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A normal day of food post op?

1 hour ago, TrueNorth1 said:

When you say vegetables are hard, what does that mean?

im noticing most people are not eating a lot of vegetables although they are low in cal and good nutrients.

The problem with vegetables is that they take up space in your pouch that you need for Protein. Before surgery, that's the advantage of vegetables -- they fill you up for few calories -- but after surgery (at least in the beginning), by the time you eat 1-2 ounces of meat, you can only fit a few bites of veggies.

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

I looked up what I was eating at the 3 month mark, and i took some screenshots of 4 consecutive days of eating.

@ms.sss Gotta ask: what's the deal with the 2.63 grams of Greek yogurt every day?

1 minute ago, TrueNorth1 said:

Gotcha!! And no vegetables, why? Was that just to keep carbs low or did they not agree with you?

At 3 months, I still had lots of restriction, and after eating my Protein, there really wasn't much room for it. I started eating my beloved salads in earnest around the 5 month mark (though I did definitely stick to the lower net carb veggies during weight loss phase).

10 minutes ago, BigSue said:

@ms.sss Gotta ask: what's the deal with the 2.63 grams of Greek yogurt every day?

LOLOLzzz...I had to rack my brain to remember why I was doing that.

Now I remember: I didn't usually eat until noon (was never a Breakfast person, never was pre-op, and still am not), and I had to take 3 Calcium pills a day, which had to be taken with something in my tum lest I get an upset stomach. Sooooo...for my morning dose, I scooped out a tsp of greek yogurt, buried my calcium pill in it and swallowed!

Edit to add: soon after than I switched to the chocolate flavoured calcium chews so didn't have to do that anymore. They were like 10 cals each, but I decided to take the hit cuz they were delicious, lol.

Edited by ms.sss

I am 9 months out . I normally don’t eat my first meal until noon... just not hungry in the mornings. I have tea or coffee at 9:00 am, at noon I will have a egg, slice low sodium deli ham w/ half whole grain English muffin and 10 green grapes or I will have 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with 1 Tsp homemade low sugar jam with 2/4 cup granola, or 1 cup toss salad with grilled chicken
lunch at 3/4 pm Protein shake
dinner at 7:30 pm
Grilled meat, fish or shellfish ( 3-4 oz) with veggies, sometimes a starch( butternut squash or 1 small red potato)
snack ice pop , or popcorn.< /p>

4 minutes ago, sdjohnson7 said:

I am 9 months out . I normally don’t eat my first meal until noon... just not hungry in the mornings. I have tea or coffee at 9:00 am, at noon I will have a egg, slice low sodium deli ham w/ half whole grain English muffin and 10 green grapes or I will have 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with 1 Tsp homemade low sugar jam with 2/4 cup granola, or 1 cup toss salad with grilled chicken
lunch at 3/4 pm Protein shake
dinner at 7:30 pm
Grilled meat, fish or shellfish ( 3-4 oz) with veggies, sometimes a starch( butternut squash or 1 small red potato)
snack ice pop , or popcorn.< /p>

your eating times are very similar to mine! didn't eat until after noon, stopped eating at 7 (cuz I wanted to go to bed on a fully empty stomach due to a bad spit up experience in the middle of night once).

I later learned I was intermittent fasting without even knowing it.

8 hours ago, TrueNorth1 said:

2 eggs took 3 days to eat? So on a daily basis you would have less than 1 egg and it was satisfying? That seems so little.

I wasn’t ever really hungry & felt satisfied eating this much. I scrambled them & the microwave was my friend. I was able to eat one egg by the time I reached maintenance. I still can’t eat two eggs. You’ll find your portion sizes are small to begin but gradually get larger as you progress too.

I still try to eat very much to routine more than for hunger just to ensure I get in my nutrients & enough food to maintain. I have days when I’m not hungry. Yesterday I didn’t have lunch or 1 of my Snacks because I just wasn’t hungry so I have to be extra vigilant today.

I’m not a calorie counter but am conscious of portion size & eat slowly to when I’m satisfied not full. Before I add new food to my diet I check calories, Protein, carbs, fats & sugar where possible. Generally I eat half to 2/3 of a recommended portion size. Except lettuce of which I eat heaps but it’s calories are so low it’s negligible & it takes me an hour to eat one of my salads.

Some people eat smaller portions but eat more frequently. Others eat larger portions but less frequently. As long as you’re meeting your protein & fluid goals & are getting in enough nutrients you’ll be fine. You’ll find your own path.

15 hours ago, ms.sss said:

At 3 months, I still had lots of restriction, and after eating my Protein, there really wasn't much room for it. I started eating my beloved salads in earnest around the 5 month mark (though I did definitely stick to the lower net carb veggies during weight loss phase).

This is going in a different direction, but Ms.sss, I just looked at your progress pictures. Truly amazing. What did type of exercises did you do so that you didn't have lose skin on your inner thighs and belly?

Breakfast: chocolate Protein Shake

Lunch: 1 beef taco and 10 chips with salsa

Dinner: 2 pieces of deli ham with 1 piece of cheese

Snack: 1 oz of peanuts

I will be four months out on 12/10/20. My food choices are very limited because I am hesitant to try new things.

Breakfast - Premier Protein shake, Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, orange, Wegman’s Bran Flakes, one scrambled egg, one turkey link sausage, sweet potato home fries, smoothies, coffee, fat free milk

lunch - string Beans, kale, peas and carrots, tuna fish, salmon, Premier Protein Shake, Protein Bar, Protein powder

dinner - mashed potato, sweet potato, collard greens, kale, string beans, salmon, sea bass, shrimp, crab legs, crab cake, pork ribeye

I measure everything. I eat for the most part two or three small meals a day. No more than 5 ounces at each meal. I was able to have thanksgiving dinner with 5 ounces of food. I had leftover on Friday. So happy that I got through my first holiday. My calorie intake is about 700 per day sometimes less. But I feel great.

3 minutes ago, Marvella210 said:

I will be four months out on 12/10/20. My food choices are very limited because I am hesitant to try new things.

Breakfast - Premier Protein shake, Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, orange, Wegman’s Bran Flakes, one scrambled egg, one turkey link sausage, sweet potato home fries, smoothies, coffee, fat free milk

lunch - string Beans, kale, peas and carrots, tuna fish, salmon, Premier Protein Shake, Protein Bar, Protein powder

dinner - mashed potato, sweet potato, collard greens, kale, string Beans, salmon, sea bass, shrimp, crab legs, crab cake, pork ribeye

I measure everything. I eat for the most part two or three small meals a day. No more than 5 ounces at each meal. I was able to have thanksgiving dinner with 5 ounces of food. I had leftover on Friday. So happy that I got through my first holiday. My calorie intake is about 700 per day sometimes less. But I feel great.

Have you lost 110 pounds since August?

4 hours ago, TrueNorth1 said:

This is going in a different direction, but Ms.sss, I just looked at your progress pictures. Truly amazing. What did type of exercises did you do so that you didn't have lose skin on your inner thighs and belly?

Well, I got a Tummy Tuck last winter, so that definitely helped some! If you look at the pictures prior to Dec 2019 (i.e., <= Day 385 in the pic collage), you can see that I for sure had loose/wrinkly skin on my abdomen and inner thighs. One of the unexpected benefits of the tummy tuck was that is smoothed out my thighs some (my backside is a different story, lol)

In terms of exercise though, I started doing more than walking at about 3 months: I started out with 1-2 hours a week of various types of activity (zumba, hot yoga, bouldering, tap dancing, etc) as well as maybe 30 mins total of some very sad weight lifting a week (I hate weight lifting/strength training with the fire of a thousand suns). On top of this, I continued with my daily morning walks that I started on Day 1.

By month five, I was doing about 2 one-hour classes a week of some cardio activity, + half-walking/half-running for about 1.5 hours a day + 15-20 minutes of strength training on one body part or another (still hated it).

By the end of weight loss phase I was full on running at least 5km every day (sometimes twice a day) + the dreaded 20 minutes of strength training (why do i do it since I hate it so much, you ask? because it works. dammit.) Also threw in some class or other once or twice a week.

Today (2+ years out), i'm alot lazier since end of last year: After the months long recovery of plastics from last December, and then the beginnings of Covid-inspired laziness in March, I am really only running about 3-4 times (min 5 km at time) a week now, 20-30 mins of strength training maybe 2 times a week, and ZERO classes. I have noticed the difference in energy levels since the reduction (mind you, there are probably other factors to this, but still).

Sorry this was so long. I tend to type (and talk) LOTS. 🤣

Edited by ms.sss

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

Well, I got a Tummy Tuck last winter, so that definitely helped some! If you look at the pictures prior to Dec 2019 (i.e., <= Day 385 in the pic collage), you can see that I for sure had loose/wrinkly skin on my abdomen and inner thighs. One of the unexpected benefits of the Tummy Tuck was that is smoothed out my thighs some (my backside is a different story, lol)

In terms of exercise though, I started doing more than walking at about 3 months: I started out with 1-2 hours a week of various types of activity (zumba, hot yoga, bouldering, tap dancing, etc) as well as maybe 30 mins total of some very sad weight lifting a week (I hate weight lifting/strength training with the fire of a thousand suns). On top of this, I continued with my daily morning walks that I started on Day 1.

By month five, I was doing about 2 one-hour classes a week of some cardio activity, + half-walking/half-running for about 1.5 hours a day + 15-20 minutes of strength training on one body part or another (still hated it).

By the end of weight loss phase I was full on running at least 5km every day (sometimes twice a day) + the dreaded 20 minutes of strength training (why do i do it since I hate it so much, you ask? because it works. dammit.) Also threw in some class or other once or twice a week.

Today (2+ years out), i'm alot lazier since end of last year: After the months long recovery of plastics from last December, and then the beginnings of Covid-inspired laziness in March, I am really only running about 3-4 times (min 5 km at time) a week now, 20-30 mins of strength training maybe 2 times a week, and ZERO classes. I have noticed the difference in energy levels since the reduction (mind you, there are probably other factors to this, but still).

Sorry this was so long. I tend to type (and talk) LOTS. 🤣

Good Job!! I’m open to a tummy tuck. How much did that cost and how long was the recovery?

18 hours ago, TrueNorth1 said:

Good Job!! I’m open to a Tummy Tuck. How much did that cost and how long was the recovery?

I probably paid about $5-6K-ish (Canadian dollars) for the TT part of my surgeries (I had 3 that day! : TT, arm lift, breast lift). OHIP paid for the panniculectumy portion of the procedure, and I paid the rest (muscle tightening & lipo). I see you are in Ontario too, so this can be an option for you as well! Discuss with your surgeon.

As far as recovery, I will not lie, it was pretty rough (a lot of it was self-inflicted though...I wasn't the best patient in terms of listening to my doc about what I should/shouldn't be doing)

On 11/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, ms.sss said:

I probably paid about $5-6K-ish (Canadian dollars) for the TT part of my surgeries (I had 3 that day! : TT, arm lift, breast lift). OHIP paid for the panniculectumy portion of the procedure, and I paid the rest (muscle tightening & lipo). I see you are in Ontario too, so this can be an option for you as well! Discuss with your surgeon.

As far as recovery, I will not lie, it was pretty rough (a lot of it was self-inflicted though...I wasn't the best patient in terms of listening to my doc about what I should/shouldn't be doing)

Interesting! I paid for my surgery so not sure my surgeon will have much insight on OHIP - however, I do go to the clinic next Wednesday to get my stiches out so I will ask the nurses. I am still a good 6 months out so I will be contacting you when I have lost my weight!