Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A normal day of food post op?

This is for those that that are 3 months or more post op and still losing.
what does your normal/average day look like for breakfast, lunch, dinner, Snacks? What are you eating and what size per meal/snack?

thanks in advance!

At three months, I was eating scrambled eggs or rolled oats for Breakfast (2 scrambled eggs took 3 days to eat & a serve of rolled oats took 3 or 4 days). For lunch I ate about 50/60g of chicken or half a pork sausage or a slice of smoked salmon wrapped around a small wedge of cucumber. dinner was about 50/60g of steak, lamb, pork, fish with two or three Beans or a cauliflower floret or a tablespoon of steamed cabbage. If I cooked mince I’d add carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes & sometimes peas & corn & I could eat about a third of a cup. My snack was always high Protein yogurt (a 160g tub or 260ml drinking yogurt) & sometimes fruit (slice of watermelon, 8-10 grapes, a mango cheek) or sometimes a cube of cheese. The fruit & cheese were just if I felt hungry. I ate my snack/s in the afternoon or after dinner.

I am just now at 3 months. Everyone is really different with this honestly. I had a tough time-just passing Thanksgiving, I am getting a bit more used to foods I can handle but I will be honest and say there are a lot of limits.

Some days are still worse then others-Doc said that's normal for the first year. I try to eat my normal Keto diet from before but still have to add Atkins shakes. Cold does better for me then hot so I will sometimes freeze a drink in a bowl for lunch and have that. It definitely helps.

Turkey meatballs are my staple these days if I can mix it with a little sauce. They say bread is difficult but I will have at least one or two slices of Aldi zero carb bread- it gives me a lot of Fiber and some Protein. I toast it then put either the turkey meatballs (smushed and mixed) onto the bread then let it get a bit moist or, if it's a good day, I can try some egg and then chicken that's been boiled with keto barbecue sauce (just a tad-it has about 3 net carbs).

Sometimes I can handle deli meat and cheese seems to be fine for me if I really chew well and take tiny bites. I also have my tablespoon or two of GENEPRO for the missing protein. Veggies are still really hard for me but I do take a v8 green and I have been trying little bits of apple. banana was pretty hard and other fruits can be a toss-up depending on the day.

I started to mix a bit of sweet potato mashed with almond milk and some of my boiled chicken together for some meals and peas mashed can be ok if I can handle it.

popcorn that's air-popped is doable for me and seeming the easiest to take down in small amounts (no butter or salt-just plain). I will take it as a treat- a cup or so. I also live on the sugar-free popsicles with 15 calories when my store has it in stock. Tillapia works for me some days as well if it's not baked or fried but boiled in the bag.

My calories are still only at around 800 on good days but I'm exercising well and labs are showing the genepro is doing well with the protein. Probably not the best example for you as you can be better able to handle varieties then I am right now but it's where I'm at. Had bypass Sept 1.

I'm 4.5 months out. I eat 3 meals per day and no Snacks (except 3 calcium chews per day for a total of 45 calories). My meals are typically 100-200 calories each and I typically eat 500-600 calories per day. If I'm low on Protein for the day, I'll drink a Protein Shake or protein hot cocoa in addition to the meals. My meals are about half a cup each, a little more if there's lettuce because I figure that by the time I chew it up, it loses a lot of volume.

Breakfast examples:

• Half container of triple zero yogurt with half a scoop of Protein Powder, raspberries/strawberries or PB2, Keto granola or nut clusters
  • Scrambled egg with 1/2 ounce cottage cheese, turkey sausage link
  • Protein pancake with strawberries/raspberries and whipped cream
  • Half packet of protein oatmeal with 1/4 scoop of protein powder, walnuts, and shredded carrots
  • 4 ounces cottage cheese with nacho cheese seasoning
Lunch:
Typical dinner:
  • Mexican casserole (chicken, cauliflower rice, salsa, black Beans, cheese, plain greek yogurt)
  • salad with chicken and light dressing, topped with crushed Quest protein chips
  • Chicken salad (shredded chicken, plain Greek yogurt, ranch seasoning), lettuce, Tomato on half a 1 net carb tortilla with 1/4 ounce cheese
  • White chicken chili
  • Taco bites (shredded chicken, salsa, black beans, lettuce, tomato, plain Greek yogurt on Quest protein chips)
  • Ricotta bake with turkey meat sauce
  • Chicken or pork with sugar-free BBQ Sauce, green beans

I'm 20 months out and I'm a little weird in that I almost never eat a full meal. Instead I eat mini-meals throughout the day. For example:

1. 6 AM: Morning latte (made with Kitu Super coffee, 10g or Protein and no sugar)

2. 8 AM: 1 scrambled egg

3. 10 AM: Yogurt

4. 12 PM: 1 chicken thigh

5. 3 PM: sugar-free pudding

6. 7 PM: handful of almonds

8. Nighttime snack: cheese stick

I typically eat 800-900 calories in a day and 60-70g of protein. I restrict carbs but not calories, so if I have a hungry day I might eat a little more or conversely I might have a low appetite day and eat less.

At 4.5-5 months out, I am definitely eating more than the other posters.

Breakfast: Protein Shake 200 kcal

Lunch: leftovers from dinner (see below), deli sliced ham with cheese and veggies, tuna salad, frozen veggie enchilada with an egg (200-300 kcals)

Dinner: meatloaf with a couple of slices of roasted sweet potato, homemade chili or Soup (beans and/or meat based with veggies), chicken (or other protein) with veggies/salad (200-300 kcals)

Snacks: I usually have some fruit after dinner, like a handful of blueberries or I will have an ounce of cheese. After a 2+ hour workout, I will have all or part of a Built Bar, some more Protein shake, or some other high protein snack. If I don’t, I will be too hungry at dinner, which can lead me to overeat. (100-300 kcals).

My daily calories are around 1000-1200 on my big workout days (typically 3x per week) and closer to 800-900 on regular or no workout days. I can eat just about anything, but meat definitely fills me up fastest. I try to watch my carbs and fat, but I do not have a set limit. I rarely have more than 40-50 g net carbs per day, but my goal is a balanced diet with protein first.

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:

At three months, I was eating scrambled eggs or rolled oats for Breakfast (2 scrambled eggs took 3 days to eat & a serve of rolled oats took 3 or 4 days). For lunch I ate about 50/60g of chicken or half a pork sausage or a slice of smoked salmon wrapped around a small wedge of cucumber. dinner was about 50/60g of steak, lamb, pork, fish with two or three Beans or a cauliflower floret or a tablespoon of steamed cabbage. If I cooked mince I’d add carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes & sometimes peas & corn & I could eat about a third of a cup. My snack was always high Protein yogurt (a 160g tub or 260ml drinking yogurt) & sometimes fruit (slice of watermelon, 8-10 grapes, a mango cheek) or sometimes a cube of cheese. The fruit & cheese were just if I felt hungry. I ate my snack/s in the afternoon or after dinner.

2 eggs took 3 days to eat? So on a daily basis you would have less than 1 egg and it was satisfying? That seems so little.

1 hour ago, Jaelzion said:

I'm 20 months out and I'm a little weird in that I almost never eat a full meal. Instead I eat mini-meals throughout the day. For example:

1. 6 AM: Morning latte (made with Kitu Super coffee, 10g or Protein and no sugar)

2. 8 AM: 1 scrambled egg

3. 10 AM: Yogurt

4. 12 PM: 1 chicken thigh

5. 3 PM: sugar-free pudding

6. 7 PM: handful of almonds

8. Nighttime snack: cheese stick

I typically eat 800-900 calories in a day and 60-70g of Protein. I restrict carbs but not calories, so if I have a hungry day I might eat a little more or conversely I might have a low appetite day and eat less.

I think when I get to the solid food time, I will do the same.

2 hours ago, WishMeSmaller said:

At 4.5-5 months out, I am definitely eating more than the other posters.

Breakfast: Protein Shake 200 kcal

Lunch: leftovers from dinner (see below), deli sliced ham with cheese and veggies, tuna salad, frozen veggie enchilada with an egg (200-300 kcals)

Dinner: meatloaf with a couple of slices of roasted sweet potato, homemade chili or Soup (beans and/or meat based with veggies), chicken (or other protein) with veggies/salad (200-300 kcals)

Snacks: I usually have some fruit after dinner, like a handful of blueberries or I will have an ounce of cheese. After a 2+ hour workout, I will have all or part of a Built Bar, some more Protein shake, or some other high Protein snack. If I don’t, I will be too hungry at dinner, which can lead me to overeat. (100-300 kcals).

My daily calories are around 1000-1200 on my big workout days (typically 3x per week) and closer to 800-900 on regular or no workout days. I can eat just about anything, but meat definitely fills me up fastest. I try to watch my carbs and fat, but I do not have a set limit. I rarely have more than 40-50 g net carbs per day, but my goal is a balanced diet with protein first.

At what point did you start "big workouts"?

2 hours ago, TrueNorth1 said:

At what point did you start "big workouts"?

Probably around 3 months. I worked up to them from 15 minute walks the first week after surgery. The big workout days are around an hour of cardio and around an hour of weight training. I worked up to one hour of cardio and then added weights at about 15-30 minutes then working up to the full hour. With all the warm up and cool down, I spend about 2.5 hours at the gym on those days. I just got over Covid though, so I will have to build back up again as I was on the couch for about 3 weeks. 🙄

Edited by WishMeSmaller

I looked up what I was eating at the 3 month mark, and i took some screenshots of 4 consecutive days of eating.

(I tended to eat the same stuff for days based on what was in the fridge/pantry, an it seems like it was anchovies, pepperettes and beef Jerky that week, LOLOLOLOLzzz)

In terms of volume, each "meal" was probably around 1/2 cup.

1132446896_ScreenShot2020-11-28at3_45_04PM.thumb.png.28e83b71d1dbb0315b80ffe092211f81.png

634407875_ScreenShot2020-11-28at3_46_09PM.thumb.png.04b43eddd026257f0793a32f729fec3b.png

243046060_ScreenShot2020-11-28at3_46_36PM.thumb.png.cfa0b18604d28e4f0cb6c7f5b6fbf374.png

465738773_ScreenShot2020-11-28at3_46_55PM.thumb.png.d5dbce6a82a1f1067634270e2974885f.png

Edited by ms.sss

Wow! Great! Thank you.

i just downloaded a meal tracker. Were you consistently at 500 calories from the time you could eat solid to the completion of your weight loss? Was that your goal to be at 500 cal?

15 hours ago, ichabodny said:

I am just now at 3 months. Everyone is really different with this honestly. I had a tough time-just passing Thanksgiving, I am getting a bit more used to foods I can handle but I will be honest and say there are a lot of limits.

Some days are still worse then others-Doc said that's normal for the first year. I try to eat my normal Keto diet from before but still have to add Atkins shakes. Cold does better for me then hot so I will sometimes freeze a drink in a bowl for lunch and have that. It definitely helps.

Turkey meatballs are my staple these days if I can mix it with a little sauce. They say bread is difficult but I will have at least one or two slices of Aldi zero carb bread- it gives me a lot of Fiber and some Protein. I toast it then put either the turkey meatballs (smushed and mixed) onto the bread then let it get a bit moist or, if it's a good day, I can try some egg and then chicken that's been boiled with Keto barbecue sauce (just a tad-it has about 3 net carbs).

Sometimes I can handle deli meat and cheese seems to be fine for me if I really chew well and take tiny bites. I also have my tablespoon or two of GENEPRO for the missing Protein. Veggies are still really hard for me but I do take a v8 green and I have been trying little bits of apple. banana was pretty hard and other fruits can be a toss-up depending on the day.

I started to mix a bit of sweet potato mashed with almond milk and some of my boiled chicken together for some meals and peas mashed can be ok if I can handle it.

popcorn that's air-popped is doable for me and seeming the easiest to take down in small amounts (no butter or salt-just plain). I will take it as a treat- a cup or so. I also live on the sugar-free popsicles with 15 calories when my store has it in stock. Tillapia works for me some days as well if it's not baked or fried but boiled in the bag.

My calories are still only at around 800 on good days but I'm exercising well and labs are showing the GENEPRO is doing well with the protein. Probably not the best example for you as you can be better able to handle varieties then I am right now but it's where I'm at. Had bypass Sept 1.

When you say vegetables are hard, what does that mean?

im noticing most people are not eating a lot of vegetables although they are low in cal and good nutrients.

1 hour ago, TrueNorth1 said:

Were you consistently at 500 calories from the time you could eat solid to the completion of your weight loss? Was that your goal to be at 500 cal?

When I was able to eat solids (at 1 month) I was closer to 300 cals. By the end of weight loss phase I was up to 750-ish (7 months post-op).

Once in maintenance, I worked my self up to around 1800-2000 cals (this took me about 2-3 months).

These days I'm getting in about 1200-1500 cuz I'm trying to lose the last couple pounds of the Covid weight I gained. At this rate, its slow going, and I could probably lose more faster if I went lower, but honestly, I don't want to! LOL. My clothes still fit fine so there is no rush on my part.

P.S. To answer your last question, according to myFitnessPal, my cal goal at the 3 month mark was 650 per day...but I rarely reached that. Truth be told, for some reason I liked to stay way under whatever calorie goal I set during the phases...just made me feel accomplished or something, I guess. I suppose I hated it when my carb and calorie numbers turned red, lol. So I made an extra special effort to keep them all green.

P.P.S Further to this, my nutritionist's calorie goal for me was 1000-1200 at 3 months, but I was all, um, no thanks. I would get the "you should really try to eat more" schpeel at my followups, but she didn't seem to be too concerned/upset/whatever when I showed her my food diaries. By the time my 6th month follow up came around, this same nutritionist oohed and aaahhed at my results. In my head I was all "Lady, if I listened to you, I wouldn't be at this point today".

Disclaimer to all: I am not advocating non-compliance to your nutritionist's instructions. We are all grown ups here and can make decisions for ourselves. My choice to do my own thing was based on my own personal research and effects on my body. This worked for me, it may not have the same effect on others.

Edited by ms.sss

4 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

When I was able to eat solids (at 1 month) I was closer to 300 cals. By the end of weight loss phase I was up to 750-ish (7 months post-op).

Once in maintenance, I worked my self up to around 1800-2000 cals (this took me about 2-3 months).

These days I'm getting in about 1200-1500 cuz I'm trying to lose the last couple pounds of the Covid weight I gained. At this rate, its slow going, and I could probably lose more faster if I went lower, but honestly, I don't want to! LOL. My clothes still fit fine so there is no rush on my part.

P.S. To answer your last question, according to myFitnessPal, my cal goal at the 3 month mark was 650 per day...but I rarely reached that. Truth be told, for some reason I liked to stay way under whatever calorie goal I set during the phases...just made me feel accomplished or something, I guess. I suppose I hated it when my carb and calorie numbers turned red, lol. So I made an extra special effort to keep them all green.

P.P.S Further to this, my nutritionist's calorie goal for me was 1000-1200 at 3 months, but I was all, um, no thanks. I would get the "you should really try to eat more" schpeel at my followups, but she didn't seem to be too concerned/upset/whatever when I showed her my food diaries. By the time my 6th month follow up came around, this same nutritionist oohed and aaahhed at my results. In my head I was all "Lady, if I listened to you, I wouldn't be at this point today".

Disclaimer to all: I am not advocating non-compliance to your nutritionist's instructions. We are all grown ups here and can make decisions for ourselves. My choice to do my own thing was based on my own personal research and effects on my body. This worked for me, it may not have the same effect on others.

Gotcha!! And no vegetables, why? Was that just to keep carbs low or did they not agree with you?