Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cold all the time?

Hi there - had my sleeve December 2, 2019 - I’m now 5lbs away from goal weight! One thing I noticed early on is that I’m ALWAYS cold. I know losing the fat no longer insulates you, but I’m always freezing! I take enough Iron, so I can’t say that’s it. Anyone else experience being cold all the time?

Yup, I'd say all of us experience it. But soooooo much better to be cold and able to put more clothes on, than to be so hot and you can't take any more off. And much better than the hot, sweaty, fungal skin infections in all the folds nd creases every summer! Besides, it's fun to buy cute sweaters and jackets!

Very common. I’m cold all the time. I keep a coat in my car all the time & I speed down the refrigerated aisles in the supermarket.

Congrats for being almost at your goal. Whoo hoo.

I’ll take the cold any day over being overweight 😉 so glad I’m not the only one. Does this ever go away tho?

Some people say yes but I remember when I was slim (many, many years ago) I always felt cold. I think it may be individual. I have a friend who’s always been slim & she never feels the cold.

I did the first year or so, but not anymore. For some people, it's permanent, though.

Like catwoman, I was FREEZING that first year. I was going to bed with the hood on my hoodie on. Starting around 7 months (which coincided with the end of my weight loss phase), I wasn’t as unnaturally cold. Still a little leas warm, but def not as HOT as pre-op. I think I still run on the colder side though (im 2 years out) as I still need to wear socks 24/7, and notice I often wear more/warmer clothes than those around me.

But like others said, I ‘d rather this than sweating profusely at the slightest effort.

I was just going to post about being cold. I've been freezing for the last two days since the weather changed and this is sooo NOT me. I normally like it cool. I hope this isn't permanent.

Oh my goodness, yes! My body doesn't hold onto heat like it used to!! I'm wearing thermals under my scrubs for work...and I live in Texas out of all places!

In general not feeling cold. Exception is when I'm tired. I tend to get the shivers then but it was always like that, fat or thin.

Oh my gosh yes! I'm freezing all the time! I have two comforters on my bed and I have had to sleep with a hoodie on. I JUST got some new pajamas; thermal tops and flannel bottoms and they are SO nice and warm. I still sleep with two comforters but I'm nice and warm now. I generally dress in layers and I find I don't normally take things off, I just keep putting on! I'll take the cold though because it's so amazing being a "normal," healthy size/weight!

I don't know how to add my ticker on here but here is the data:

• HW: 291
  • SW: 258
  • GW: 165
  • CW: 162.7
  • BMI: 27.9

Hi there - had my sleeve December 2, 2019 - I’m now 5lbs away from goal weight! One thing I noticed early on is that I’m ALWAYS cold. I know losing the fat no longer insulates you, but I’m always freezing! I take enough Iron, so I can’t say that’s it. Anyone else experience being cold all the time?
Omg yes after losing 80+lbs I use to hate socks and pajamas now they are my best friends lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Glad to see I'm not the only one... after being morbidly obese for 4+ decades and ALWAYS running hot (to the extent that frequently in the winter I wouldn't need to wear a coat due to sufficient internal padding), these first 4 months following surgery have been very different when it comes to temperature.

No more constant sweating. In fact, I think I've felt cold/chilled more times in the last 4 months than in the last 10 years... and I *STILL* have another 60+ pounds I want to lose.

At this rate, I'll be wearing a parka and mittens in July! ;)

My acupuncturist says it's the result of body dealing with the trauma of surgery, sudden weight loss and change in metabolism.
My sleeve surgery is on dec 15th and I'm booked into see her once a week for a month after my surgery to combat the chill factor. I can't bare being cold so I hope the acupuncture can help.

Sent from my SM-G960F using BariatricPal mobile app

I guess I haven't lost enough weight yet because I'm never cold. LOL! 😀 But over the past two years here on this forum I've seen a LOT of people talk about being cold so it's a real thing.