Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slider foods

I can't say that I've had a whole cheat day or even a cheat meal really. There have been a handful of times where I had a bite or two of something I probably shouldn't, but so far I've been able to keep it at that. Honestly I try not to even do that though because I don't want to backslide. I get that some people subscribe to not wanting to completely deprive themselves of something for fear of wanting it even more, but I am trying to take the approach of an addict where abstaining is usually the best option. I would say do what feels right for you and just be careful.

I can't say that I've had a whole cheat day or even a cheat meal really. There have been a handful of times where I had a bite or two of something I probably shouldn't, but so far I've been able to keep it at that. Honestly I try not to even do that though because I don't want to backslide. I get that some people subscribe to not wanting to completely deprive themselves of something for fear of wanting it even more, but I am trying to take the approach of an addict where abstaining is usually the best option. I would say do what feels right for you and just be careful.

Am trying to be very carful i do swimming 5 times a week and i make good choices all week but damn i miss chips so much so i allow myself to snack and eat like 3 spoons of ice cream.. I want to progress into no cheating at all one day but am taking it real slow am just afraid if it's ganna effect the weight loss!
Am 10 weeks post op!

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I would try to limit the amount of "cheating" you do whilst you're in the weight loss phase. Try to maximise the loss while you can. You can still have the occasional treat but keep the party food at the party. Don't snack on anything that isn't giving you the nutrition you really need while consuming so little.

2 hours ago, nour77 said:

I gave away the snaks i had yesterday i felt sick the horrible feeling u get after a bing and was not worth it!
I don't think i'll be snaking in the near future!

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I think that's for the best. While I do allow myself the occasional treat, I don't think of it as "cheating" because it's planned and doesn't happen often. Everyone is different, but for me, if I allowed myself a cheat day every week, it would be no time at all before I was falling back into my old eating habits. Exposing myself to sugar and refined carbs that often would just be a recipe for disaster. If my very occasional treats end up causing me a problem, I'll cut those out too, but so far I've been okay. I figure we've gone through so much trouble, risk, pain and in some cases expense to have surgery - why should we undermine our efforts by deliberately making unhelpful food choices? It just doesn't make sense to undergo all that and then wilfully self-sabotage. Of course, everyone is different and there may be people who can have a weekly cheat day and still do well. But I'm guessing there are a lot of people like me too, who can't.

I see that you are going to give the Snacks away, but here is my experience anyway 🙂

After a mere 13 weeks postop my cheat day turned into a cheat week, just like it used to in the old days. Or to put it another way, I ate around my sleeve for a week.... and got the expected results, I gained 1kg.

For some reason I have no ill effects from eating chocolate or chips, the only difference is it takes me a day to eat a pkt of lollies instead of 1 sitting.

So after a good cry, I quickly got back to measuring food and tracking nutritional info, and dropped that regain in 2 days. Plus I joined the gym that same day for the first time in 3 years.

I think it is irresponsible of your nutritionist to advise you that it's OK for a cheat day. We only have the 'sleeve magic' for a limited time, why encourage people to cheat in the peak efficacy time, it just seems counterproductive.

Even before I put surgery as an option I quit cheat days cause for me cheat days turn into cheat week chips and other processed food is so addictive that one bite is enough to derail me. instead, I found new healthy ways to eat and I try to focus on that

55 minutes ago, carlz said:

I ate around my sleeve for a week.... and got the expected results, I gained 1kg.

Which would mean you've been eating at least 1000 kcal over your TDEE every day for a whole week.

I quickly got back to measuring food and tracking nutritional info, and dropped that regain in 2 days.

Which would mean you've created a deficit of at least 3500 kcal a day for these two days.

I think it is irresponsible of your nutritionist to advise you that it's OK for a cheat day.

I have a few thoughts on what's irresponsible or not myself. However, in the end opinions are just that: opinions. Approaches vary. Maybe they have made good experiences with their approach. Otherwise they would've already abandoned it. Treatment teams provide guidelines. If the patients wants to follow them, is up to the patient. In any way no treatment team seems to have found the holy grail that guides 100% of the patients to a normal BMI for life so far.

Ultimately the patient has to find out what's working or not anyway. That involves trial and error and the old-timers usually all have paid dearly in one or the other way after being in the game long enough.

Edited by summerset

58 minutes ago, summerset said:

Which would mean you've been eating at least 1000 kcal over your TDEE every day for a whole week.

Which would mean you've created a deficit of at least 3500 kcal a day for these two days.

From reading your posts I can see that you're well versed in nutrition and CICO, surely you know for every one gram of carbohydrate stored in the body (as glycogen) there is approximately 2-3 grams of Water retained.

I didn't say I gained a kilo of FAT. It likely was water weight from the 7 day carb fest, and my return to eating a low carb diet would have flushed out that water weight.

Regardless, it was the scare that I needed to get myself back on track, and show me I'll always need to be vigilant with my food choices.

I save for the holidays, so i can have a couple bites of a dessert or dish i only get once a year. But just a taste...not the whole pie..

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m brand new to the game but I’ve been having some thoughts about my long term plans around some foods. For me this whole process has really made me look at the way I treat food and how I act around certain foods. I have parents with alcohol addiction, but I never made the connection between that and my chronic overeating until recently. I have addictive tendencies, and there are certain things that will cause me to spiral out of control.

Long term, I’m not sure I can ever reintroduce candy. I binge on candy like nothing else on this planet. chips and crackers, I have a lesser but real problem with. Does this mean I will never eat anything sweet or salty ever again? Doubtful. But I’m not sure I can ever bring home a bag of Gummy bears or sit in bed with a bag of salt and vinegar potato chips again, nor do I need to. This wasn’t bringing me the happiness I thought it was.