Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

@kalí̱ ygeía haha! DEFINITELY regular coffee (like if I don't get my caffeine in early, my headache is unbearable by noonish).

Hang in there on the liquid diet - Seriously, by day 3-4 it almost seemed normal for me. I was lucky and only had to do a week. Jello, sugar free popsicles, and broth were my best friends during the first few days just to keep me occupied. I SWEAR, when I COULDN'T eat, I become obsessed - Especially when I was still cooking for my husband and aunt. Finally, I got so sick of shakes after a bit, I didn't even care about eating. How long is your liquid diet pre-op?

And as long as I can still be the favorite child... I'll pitch the idea! FYI, they are kinda high maintenance though!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mandogetsleeved Of course you can be the favorite, as long as I get a wardrobe too! ;)

It's suppose to be for 14 days, but the surgeon let me start off on the weekend which means I do it for 13 days. I'm looking forward to tomorrow (day three), since today was not the best. To some extend, I wish that I had never learned that not all surgeons require the preop diet, because it leaves in question its necessity. Is it really to shrink the liver or to help ease you in to the life style change? Or both? You only had to do 1 week?! Was it all liquid or where you allowed solids in that week?

There are people here who went from a full course meal to surgery and seemed to do fine. What's the deal with that? Yes, that's my head rationalizing why I should be allowed to eat. LOL No worries... I know better! I woke up today with a pounding headache at about 9 a.m. That was my brain screaming "Where the f*!@ is my coffee? !" I didn't give in and grab a cup although I was so tempted. Did you have any GERD or the throwing up problems that accompanies it? I can't believe that I'm going to go through with this surgery. Did ever almost change your mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2020 at 7:57 PM, Doinmything said:

That gives me hope that they'll take fatty liver as a comorbidity in my case. I went to my consult with a BMI of 40 but I always fluctuate, and I'm scared of getting a bit under 35 bmi from the pre-op diet and them refusing to do the surgery. You're calming my nerves and inspiring me to keep going so thank you for the info!

once you are approved you are good. I was a 44bmi with no co's..... my doc said to not lose a pound till i did. Then after i was approved i could lose if i wanted to. On the 2 week liq diet i lost more than 10lbs.
When i got then sleeve my bmi was 31(8/28/19) with no co's, but even though it was done 2.5 years after band removal it still was considered a revision. He noted my chart with my first bmi of 44 (2009), what i had gotten too 26 (2017) with the band. Of course, my insurance didn't cover the removal or the sleeve.... 14k out of pocket for the sleeve. I am so grateful...... my bmi is now a 21. 5'2" 120lbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BayougirlMrsS and @catwoman7 you are both true inspriations for success! I appreciate that you both continue you post years afterwards!! @kalí̱ ygeía these are the true guru's!!

Yeah... the headaches were real the first few days. While there will definitely be days that you struggle and wonder WHY you're doing this (especially during pre-op when you start dropping weight), if you're like most of us, this wasn't a decision made lightly and without other trials and tribulations, so just keep that in mind when you're wondering. I honestly never doubted this decision or questioned what my surgeons plan was. They have a vested interest in having successful patients so they are going to direct you in what they KNOW works based on past experiences.

I definitely understand it's frustrating to see other people "having it easy" with pre-op. Just think how much more prepared for post op you will be.

Have a great day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, kalí̱ ygeía said:

Did you have to drink it black and decaff? I'm surprised that you're allowed to drink coffee. I'm going to ask my nutritionist. I need to have milk and honey with mine, so I don't think it'll slide.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully I'll mirror some of your success! Have you had to throw out many of your clothes? Were you happy to see them go or was there some melancholy with the process?

Your nachos sound yummy minus the sour cream! Not a fan of sour cream. I've read that taste buds change, so who knows maybe I'll like it after surgery!

Oh, one more question... how's your hair?

If you get an ok on coffee, mix it with Protein Shake to make it creamy and sweet. Plus you get the all important Protein. Also, my surgeon’s office ok’ed regular at two week post-op to help me with constipation. Wins all around!

All the best to you!

Edited by WishMeSmaller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WishMeSmaller said:

If you get an ok on coffee, mix it with Protein Shake to make it creamy and sweet. Plus you get the all important Protein. Also, my surgeon’s office ok’ed regular at two week post-op to help me with constipation. Wins all around!

All the best to you!

I'm okay to have decaff coffee. I'm prone to constipation now, so I hope that I get to drink coffee postop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2020 at 5:09 AM, kalí̱ ygeía said:

To some extend, I wish that I had never learned that not all surgeons require the preop diet, because it leaves in question its necessity. Is it really to shrink the liver or to help ease you in to the life style change?

It's definitely to shrink the liver. The pre-op blood tests include one which tests how fatty your liver is and that should determine what your doctor tells you to do re pre-op diet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2020 at 5:36 AM, BayougirlMrsS said:

once you are approved you are good. I was a 44bmi with no co's..... my doc said to not lose a pound till i did. Then after i was approved i could lose if i wanted to. On the 2 week liq diet i lost more than 10lbs.
When i got then sleeve my bmi was 31(8/28/19) with no co's, but even though it was done 2.5 years after band removal it still was considered a revision. He noted my chart with my first bmi of 44 (2009), what i had gotten too 26 (2017) with the band. Of course, my insurance didn't cover the removal or the sleeve.... 14k out of pocket for the sleeve. I am so grateful...... my bmi is now a 21. 5'2" 120lbs

Wow! Congratulations on your success! Hopefully I too will be as successful. Starting to doubt myself as this preop diet has not been easy for me. I reeeeally hope this is not a precursor to what's to come. It makes me wonder if I'm ready for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Deb9386 said:

It's definitely to shrink the liver. The pre-op blood tests include one which tests how fatty your liver is and that should determine what your doctor tells you to do re pre-op diet.

That's very interesting. I'm going to ask my surgeon during my next visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2020 at 5:55 AM, MandoGetsSleeved said:

@BayougirlMrsS and @catwoman7 you are both true inspriations for success! I appreciate that you both continue you post years afterwards!! @kalí̱ ygeía these are the true guru's!!

Yeah... the headaches were real the first few days. While there will definitely be days that you struggle and wonder WHY you're doing this (especially during pre-op when you start dropping weight), if you're like most of us, this wasn't a decision made lightly and without other trials and tribulations, so just keep that in mind when you're wondering. I honestly never doubted this decision or questioned what my surgeons plan was. They have a vested interest in having successful patients so they are going to direct you in what they KNOW works based on past experiences.

I definitely understand it's frustrating to see other people "having it easy" with pre-op. Just think how much more prepared for post op you will be.

Have a great day!

You are so fortunate that you never went through that doubting period. On my 4th day now of preop diet and it's been a pain. I'm slowly starting to become more accepting of the process. I know I have to push through this and just deal with what comes at the end. I have to trust the process and somehow believe that I will be fine. I will be one of the lucky people who has an excellent postop experience. Also that my stomach will be able to handle food and I'll be able to eat like normal just small quantities, because my normal wasn't terrible. I could go all day without eating and then at night eat a huge meal. This surgery will help me with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, ms.sss said:

Of everything really: what you expect to lose, how you expect to feel, what foods you expect to eat, how you expect people to treat you. I read alot of posts on here with peeps dealing with stress and anxiety due to a host of things they thought would happen, but didn't.

Though your posts read like you are the type of person who can take this stuff in stride...I suspect you'll do great ❤️

I hate to report that I'm not doing as great as we'd hope! You warned me to check my expectations and well... I don't think I did a very good job at it. I expected to do great with my preop diet and so far it hasn't been the case. Ugh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hang in there! You got this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kalí̱ ygeía said:

I hate to report that I'm not doing as great as we'd hope! You warned me to check my expectations and well... I don't think I did a very good job at it. I expected to do great with my preop diet and so far it hasn't been the case. Ugh!

Do you know what you need to do to try turn it around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, kalí̱ ygeía said:

I hate to report that I'm not doing as great as we'd hope! You warned me to check my expectations and well... I don't think I did a very good job at it. I expected to do great with my preop diet and so far it hasn't been the case. Ugh!

Sometimes pre-op diets are the hardest part of the process (especially if after you have no complications)

My first WLS, no pre-op diet required but I did one for a few days because I was nervous. Second WLS it was required and I wanted to fight it every step of the way, asked my Surgeon a few times why was it needed for "me", 🤣

Basically told me I wasnt special, everyone is going on it - even "me". So I toughed it out and it was tough. Everyday. But if taken day by day, one angry shower scream session at a time. You can do it. Don't give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Deb9386 said:

It's definitely to shrink the liver. The pre-op blood tests include one which tests how fatty your liver is and that should determine what your doctor tells you to do re pre-op diet.

My pre-op labs are today, and I have been on the pre-op diet for... this is the beginning of my 6th day 🤣 My surgeon just always requires a 10 day pre-op diet, apparently. Mine includes food, though, so it isn't too bad (anymore. Those first three days were rough. I am eating like an eighth of what I normally did.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×