Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have trouble keeping to the pre-op diet?

I’m curious if anyone else found themselves having an almost impossible time of maintaining the pre-op diet and if that had an impact on whether your surgery was able to proceed.

More context: I think I’m having such a hard time because by the time I got to the point where I had to start the pre-op diet, I’d already been eating pretty close to it for several weeks and my body knows that it’s starving and won’t let me live on liquid right now. If you’re interested in knowing why I’d been eating an almost-liquid-only diet for weeks before the pre-op diet, read some of my previous posts. The relevant point is that for most of July, August, and September I was drinking three Protein Drinks a day and having a small dinner in the evening. And now that what I’m being told to do is drink three Protein Shakes a day and have chicken/fish and vegetable in the evening, I can’t get myself to do it. It’s not a matter of not wanting to or not making it past the first few days. It’s that continuing to do so after all of these weeks is now keeping me awake all night with hunger and headaches and my brain is foggy.

To be clear: what I’m eating right now isn’t hugely different from what I was instructed to do. What I’m actually eating is one Protein Shake, two Protein Bars or Protein Snacks with lesser amounts of sodium, and the chicken/fish and vegetable meal every day. So it’s not like I’m eating regular meals or eating things that aren’t even close to plan. I actually crave protein when I’m hungry and end up eating lots of protein even during times of regular eating outside of this pre-op period.

What I’m interested in knowing is: did any of you not do perfectly with staying on plan but you were still able to have your surgery without a problem? For clarity, I’m not looking for anyone to tell me to keep doing what I’m doing and I’m not looking for approval. I would just like to know what realistically happens to other people.

Lastly, don’t even think about shaming me for posting this. “Tough love” is just an excuse to be a jerk, especially when you don’t know the person you’re talking to. If your thoughts about this are that I just need to be more disciplined, more committed, suck it up, or whatever, don’t bother commenting. If your thoughts are that I’m doing something horrible to myself and am not going to be able to stick with things post-op, don’t bother commenting. The full context of this situation is important. For months I’ve been starving without the help of having a smaller stomach, and right now I’m coming up against the limits of my very strong will in ways that I don’t like.

First, if someone tells you what you are doing is inappropriate and not to your benefit and you may regret your choices, it is true. You want to think someone is being a jerk for telling you this, it's on you, not them. By the way, what is said in the first sentence is true, so I am a jerk. I've been called a jerk before so you may join good company here.

I stuck completely and without flaw to my pre-op diet. My Doc was clear that if I didn't hit the required loss of 10 more pounds he would cancel my surgery. I was scared straight.

Well, except for those one or five, well ten, or so, times I didn't. I gained 7 pounds. I was scared I was screwed right up until I talked to Doc before being wheeled in to surgery. If Doc weren't using my surgery as a teaching opportunity I'm sure he would have cancelled. I lucked out.

Having said this, don't do what I did. Or at least as bad. It's not worth the terror.

Do your honest best.

Good luck.

Tek

I just love how some people here are so smug about how perfect they are to think it’s helpful to tell a person who says, “I’m not doing well” that they aren’t doing well. It’s about as helpful as any other instance of telling someone what they already know and rubbing it in their face. I’m glad that some of you are so perfect. Maybe if the rest of us caught up all of humanity’s problems would disappear. Smh.

ETA: SAS11's reply was to a post that is no longer available, which I didn't see. I naturally assumed it was directed at me, Thus my reply was totally out of place and unnecessary.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

That wasn’t in response to you. I think someone else must have posted and deleted it because there was something else here before.

Oh.

Crap.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The site had an issue at that moment also, so perhaps that's what happened to the post.

I'll edit to clarify the error in my original.

Tek

It’s okay! I really appreciate both of the comments from other people that I see right now. Right now I’m seeing MsMocie and The Greater Fool, and I thank you both for making me feel less alone. I can’t remember who the other post was from.

I will start my pre-op drinks the end of this month I see the doctor on the Oct 26th and with them I will have to drink 4 smoothie a day, but they give you a cheat ticket meaning you can eat a regular dinner which I don't want to go crazy with it I was thinking like a steak and vegs.

From what you are telling us about what you are doing you seem to be eating well and not going way off from what they want you to do. I am sure it is hard since you have been on a liquid meals for weeks. I wish you the best and I hope you can have your surgery. From what I was told the liquid meals is to reduce the size of our liver so that it is out of the way for the surgeon.

The smoothie diet the last 2 weeks before surgery is what I am worried about as well since I will still have to cook dinner for my big family (7) I just hope to get through those 2 weeks.