Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Metabolism post WLS

One of the main reasons I made the decision to move forward with WLS was the belief that it could help heal my metabolism and set point. I want to make sure that as I am progressing (I'm almost 9 months out), I want to make sure I am not going to damage my metabolism by not eating enough. Does anyone have any research or learned anything from your doc or nutritionist on this?

For reference: I'm very lucky that even 9 months out I rarely experience physical hunger (head hunger is a different story). When I am following plan, it's not uncommon for me to be between 800-1000 calories a day. I CAN eat 1200 or more with healthy food but it takes a lot of effort so I generally only eat that much if I am off plan and having processed carbs. I know without WLS, that would be a huge red flag and could damage my metabolism long term. But with WLS, am I good? Or is there a point where I should be pushing to get the higher calories?

I appreciate any info,

Lori

24 minutes ago, loridee11 said:

One of the main reasons I made the decision to move forward with WLS was the belief that it could help heal my metabolism and set point. I want to make sure that as I am progressing (I'm almost 9 months out), I want to make sure I am not going to damage my metabolism by not eating enough. Does anyone have any research or learned anything from your doc or nutritionist on this?

For reference: I'm very lucky that even 9 months out I rarely experience physical hunger (head hunger is a different story). When I am following plan, it's not uncommon for me to be between 800-1000 calories a day. I CAN eat 1200 or more with healthy food but it takes a lot of effort so I generally only eat that much if I am off plan and having processed carbs. I know without WLS, that would be a huge red flag and could damage my metabolism long term. But with WLS, am I good? Or is there a point where I should be pushing to get the higher calories?

I appreciate any info,

Lori

You've apparently done reading on this subject so I doubt there is much I can contribute on "damaging metabolism" and "set point" theory.

With or without WLS we need a minimum number of calories to support a healthy body. 800-1000, or even 1200 calories as a daily norm seems low, except the most extraordinarily sedentary life styles.

Health.gov puts average healthy calorie intake generally [age/lifestyle breakdown at site] for women (5'4", 124lbs) to be 1600-2400 calories and for men (5'10", 154lbs) 2000-3000 calories.

An RNY or DS patient, who absorbs fewer calories than we eat would need some amount higher than the averages above. Of course, the calories not absorbed would at best be a WAG (Wild Arse Guess).

Now, honestly the Health.gov calorie requirements seem high to me, but who am I to argue with Health.gov.

Good luck

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

Then how does this bode for those of us who are around 400-500 for the first few months? Even all the way through our goal weight?

If I ate 1200 calories right now, I would gain back weight and lose at a snail's pace.

supposedly it resets your metabolism and set point. The professional association here in the US is the American Society of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery.

of course, if you go back to your old, pre-op eating habits, you're going to gain. I used to average around 3000 kcal/day...if not more. I'd gain weight like crazy on that now - but that's not a normal amount of calories for a 60-year-old female who isn't a marathon runner. But I can eat around 1700 (give or take) and stay where I'm at. That may be a little lower than average, but not by too much.

Edited by catwoman7

Everyone is different. Dr. Wiener on YouTube has great videos explaining set point etc. The “average” calorie crud we have heard people drone about for years is ridiculous. Once I hit my mid 40’s early 50’s my metabolism flipped. It took me a year of eating 500-700 then 700-900 calories a day to get to my goal. (Post sleeve surgery) I now stick close to 1500 because I’m very active, if I let up and take a few days off I have to cut my calories closer to 1350. My metabolism improved a great deal, I’ts not what it was when I was in my 20’s but I can splurge now and then and be ok.

I think being active helps more than anything else.

Only anecdotal evidence ... but in my WL phase my diet had a huge amount of variety. I was usually quite low cal at home. But I traveled for work and ate relatively normally, but in very small portions. My cals could be anywhere between 300 to 1200 cals depending on the day. Once as I neared maintenance my capacity expanded, I ate more freely, and my calories crept up. Now I maintain at around 2000 cals/day.

I think it is possible, that my frequent caloric fluctuation during my WL phase may have protected my metabolism. Of course no way to prove or disprove this theory, and I am even skeptical myself.

But the Biggest Loser study is one thing that really scared me, so that's one reason why I wasn't crazy super strict everyday. (Not that I had the ability nor willpower to be)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-years-after-the-biggest-loser-metabolism-is-slower-and-weight-is-back-up/#:~:text=(Reuters Health) - Six years,their stint on the show.

21 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Now I maintain at around 2000 cals/day.

I don't count regularly but the few times I tracked with an app to look at my Protein and micronutrient intake I was easily at 2.500 kcal. I don't know how people on here survive on 1500 kcal or less.

I think it is possible, that my frequent caloric fluctuation during my WL phase may have protected my metabolism. Of course no way to prove or disprove this theory, and I am even skeptical myself.

I have that suspicion as well but can't prove it of course.

Just out of curiosity: are you a fidgeter as well?

26 minutes ago, summerset said:

Just out of curiosity: are you a fidgeter as well?

I'd say no, but my boyfriend would probably say yes 😂

8 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Only anecdotal evidence ... but in my WL phase my diet had a huge amount of variety. I was usually quite low cal at home. But I traveled for work and ate relatively normally, but in very small portions. My cals could be anywhere between 300 to 1200 cals depending on the day. Once as I neared maintenance my capacity expanded, I ate more freely, and my calories crept up. Now I maintain at around 2000 cals/day.

Did you experience stalls? How did you handle those?

10 hours ago, Keatsy said:

Then how does this bode for those of us who are around 400-500 for the first few months? Even all the way through our goal weight?

If I ate 1200 calories right now, I would gain back weight and lose at a snail's pace.

You are in a weight loss phase, yes? In weight loss phase one needs to lower calories [calories in] and/or increase activity and/or exercise [calories out]. You want [calories in] to be less than [calories out] to lose weight

When you reach your goal, you're plan will likely change to approximate [calories in] = [calories out]. You will have to learn where this balance is for you, but it won't be what you are eating now, unless you want to lose weight forever.

So, don't eat 1200 calories now unless it's on your plan. 👍

It's been so long since I read anything on set point theory, but it may be worth the time to read about 'starvation mode'. I'll bet MsMockle has the info off the top of her head. I'm old and have no memory.

Good Luck

Tek

@MsMocie Thank you very much - that was really interesting. Based on all of that I think my goal is to continue to lose weight to goal by remaining in a calorie deficit, but not so low as deficit as to cause my hormones to go haywire. Sounds like there is no magic number.

I do tend to vary my calories day by day, but am pretty consistently between 800-1200 now (I'm 9 months out tomorrow). I'm hoping to reach goal by end of 1 year (another 25 lbs). Barring any new evidence, I think I'll try to keep my calorie range where it is until that point. Then, as you say, slowly start increasing to figure out why my new target should be.

For what it's worth, I am also incorporating more and more exercise. I've increased from daily walks to walks and aerobics most days with hiking on the weekends. I'm also doing some limited body weight exercises to start building muscle.

14 hours ago, Keatsy said:

Did you experience stalls? How did you handle those?

Experienced plenty of stalls. They are just part of the process. IMO there is nothing that causes or breaks stalls as long as you are following your plan. I just focused on the bigger picture. Instead of thinking, I have lost only 1 lb this week, I'd think I've lost 10 lbs this month for example, or 60 lbs since surgery.