Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve vs Roux-en-y

Im schedule for surgery oct 14 but I am torn between having my sleeve as schedule or talking to my surgeon about switching to bypass... I have been researching and their is a chance that after 2 years with the sleeve I can gain some weight back and since im going thru this process and have been working so hard I might as well go all in (thats my train of though) I would love to hear what are your thoughts maybe you got one and now looking back you would have gotten the other one. Thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I would think that people can gain weight back with either procedure but possibly less so with the bypass due to the malabsorption. One thing to consider if you already suffer acid reflux/GERD the sleeve may make it worse.

I had the same thoughts when considering which surgery I wanted....i considered the sleeve for several reasons...a few being that the actual surgical procedure was less than half the time it would take to do the bypass and I heard recovery wasn’t as bad. I also have a few close friends who had the sleeve and are more than happy with their results.
I ended up deciding on RNY due to my occasional acid reflux and I was nervous about regaining my weight and falling back into the old habits that got my in the situation I was in before surgery. I didn’t want to have to deal with the possibility of needing revision surgery and having to go through everything twice. I figured I was already going to be under anesthesia so I just thought “I’m not going to know how long I’m asleep” lol
But I know several people that had the sleeve and it was a perfect fit for them with long term success to back it up! It’s really just up to you!

I had the same thoughts when considering which surgery I wanted....i considered the sleeve for several reasons...a few being that the actual surgical procedure was less than half the time it would take to do the bypass and I heard recovery wasn’t as bad. I also have a few close friends who had the sleeve and are more than happy with their results.
I ended up deciding on RNY due to my occasional acid reflux and I was nervous about regaining my weight and falling back into the old habits that got my in the situation I was in before surgery. I didn’t want to have to deal with the possibility of needing revision surgery and having to go through everything twice. I figured I was already going to be under anesthesia so I just thought “I’m not going to know how long I’m asleep” lol
But I know several people that had the sleeve and it was a perfect fit for them with long term success to back it up! It’s really just up to you!
Thank you for sharing ur journey with me... i feel the same way if im going to be under i might as well just go all in and keep myself on a straight line... how long ago did you have ur rny and have you had any problems... sorry for all the questions im just full of them lately♡♡♡♡

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my surgery 5/14/20....there was more pain and discomfort than what I originally expected for the first week but by the beginning of week 3 I had no pain and minimal discomfort and went back to work. I haven’t really had any issues other than having trouble figuring out what my body can and cannot tolerate....for example I can’t eat tuna bc it feels like I swallowed a bag of rocks every time I eat it...but so far that’s the only thing I’ve had issues with. I’m just over 3 months post-op and I’m down 63 pounds as of this morning!
Ask all the questions you have!! I’ll answer them to the best of my ability! ☺️

you can gain weight with either procedure if you don't consistently follow the "rules".

the biggest thing to consider is whether or not you have acid reflux/GERD. If so, most surgeons will recommend the bypass since it often improves if not outright cures it. Not everyone who gets the sleeve develops GERD (or worsening GERD), but there's a significant enough minority who do that they'll usually steer you toward the bypass.

if you don't have issues with that, then it comes down to personal preference. There are plenty of examples of people on here who have had great success with both surgeries.