Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 years post op and have huge REGRET!

I had the fundiplocation surgery in 2006. I had gastric bypass surgery in June. The surgeon chose bypass over the sleeve because of the previous surgery. I hope you’re feeling better soon.

UPDATE: I was able to see another doctor in California. Her first question was "why haven't you had a by-pass yet"? She did surgery and loosened the "fix" that Dr. Ganser did, but after 3 months I was having the same issues. Vomiting, nausea and severe pain when eating or drinking especially Water. The doctor in Sacramento did a new upper GI and said I need a by-pass, due to how my stomach is shaped after my surgeries with Dr. Ganser. She let me know that she can do the surgery to the by-pass, but she wants 6000.00 up front as well as my insurance payment and my 20%. I am not able to afford that, so I have to look for another surgeon in Reno. I also have an issue with finding a surgeon that uses the proper facilities (a Center of Excellence...). Frustrating and disheartening. It has been 6 years of pure misery. When it rains it pours. I attached a picture of what my stomach looks like, each time I eat, the food gets stuck in the hard 90 degree turn and then I am sick and vomiting, nausea and pain.

Upper GI from Sac Bariatric.jpg

5 hours ago, escape_pinacolada said:

UPDATE: I was able to see another doctor in California. Her first question was "why haven't you had a by-pass yet"? She did surgery and loosened the "fix" that Dr. Ganser did, but after 3 months I was having the same issues. Vomiting, nausea and severe pain when eating or drinking especially Water. The doctor in Sacramento did a new upper GI and said I need a by-pass, due to how my stomach is shaped after my surgeries with Dr. Ganser. She let me know that she can do the surgery to the by-pass, but she wants 6000.00 up front as well as my insurance payment and my 20%. I am not able to afford that, so I have to look for another surgeon in Reno. I also have an issue with finding a surgeon that uses the proper facilities (a Center of Excellence...). Frustrating and disheartening. It has been 6 years of pure misery. When it rains it pours. I attached a picture of what my stomach looks like, each time I eat, the food gets stuck in the hard 90 degree turn and then I am sick and vomiting, nausea and pain.

Upper GI from Sac Bariatric.jpg

I am so sorry that you are suffering with all these awful complications and having trouble getting help, but I hope that now that you know what needs to be done to fix it at least it helps to know there is hope that things will get better. Thank you for telling everyone about this so that people realize that this surgery is not something to take lightly. Everyone talks about how the sleeve is such a safe surgery, but the truth is that it CAN have life-altering complications.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, catwoman7 said:

I don't think this would apply to most people who have VSG because you've had A LOT of surgeries that most people don't have - and won't need to have. I'm very sorry this happened to you, but other than the GERD (which about 30% of VSG patients experience, from what I've read), the rest of this is pretty rare. Most people have no issues with VSG - or only minor ones.

and yes - it sounds like RNY might be an option - I don't know about the other things you have, but it should improve - if not cure - the GERD part of it.

again, I'm very sorry this happened to you. Sounds like you're one of the very few unlucky patients...

Actually - this isn't rare. 30-50% of patients struggle with this INTENSE VGS GERD after (it shouldn't even be called GERD because it's unrelenting. I'm only correcting you because so many downplay it - and it really is a painful side effect that everyone should be aware of before choosing this surgery. EVERYONE should ask their surgeon how they are preventing this from happening with their patients - and check here to see if the doctor's name is associated with a sufferer. Many patients just live and suffer with it and don't post. I was one of them. Unfortunately, the drugs that manage it eventually cause Cancer....

On 8/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, ab123. said:

Hi, Yes, my surgery was a waste of time, has left me in worse shape, and it has been 5 years and 4 months. I come on here every few years, but you won’t find anyone who understands. This is a site for the cheerleaders of the surgery. I came today to see if anyone knew of a site for support for failed surgeries or food addiction. NOT OVEREATERS ANONYMOUS. My overeating is still 1000 calories a day, but the surgery destroyed my body.

I am in your boat and it's been 15 years. It's important that you're in here sharing...it's a gift. Now people know what questions to ask, what doctor to avoid, etc.

6 hours ago, KateinMichigan said:

Actually - this isn't rare. 30-50% of patients struggle with this INTENSE VGS GERD after (it shouldn't even be called GERD because it's unrelenting. I'm only correcting you because so many downplay it - and it really is a painful side effect that everyone should be aware of before choosing this surgery. EVERYONE should ask their surgeon how they are preventing this from happening with their patients - and check here to see if the doctor's name is associated with a sufferer. Many patients just live and suffer with it and don't post. I was one of them. Unfortunately, the drugs that manage it eventually cause Cancer....

if you re-read what I wrote, you'll notice I didn't say GERD was rare with VSG - I said 30% of VSG patients suffer from it. So we're on the same page. Since I had moderate GERD before surgery, and my surgeon said there was a good chance it would get worse, I was very interested in this and did quite a bit of reading on it. I saw that 30% figure in several sources. Even the 30% was WAY too much for me to risk it, so I went with bypass (because my risk probably would have been even higher since I already had it pre-surgery).

My GERD went away completely for the first 2-3 years after surgery. It's back now, but much milder than before. A couple of Tums will usually knock it out.