Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 years post op and have huge REGRET!

Hello,

I am new to this forum but I really need to warn others. I am 5 years post op from the sleeve surgery and am MISERABLE! I have also had 4 more surgeries to fix a hiatal hernia at the esophagus and stomach as well as pouches that were formed by the surgery. I have not been able to eat normally since the surgery and by normally I mean the way you are suppose to after VSG. I haven't been able to drink Water without pain. My SW was 245 and now I am at 184 and losing since my most recent surgery. The recent surgery was to fix the hiatal hernia again. I was told it was a "new" way of fixing the hernia, nothing more was told to me. My pancreas was also removed at the same time. My surgery was called a Nissen Fundoplication, its pretty complicated. They use of the stomach to be wrapped around the esophagus so it won't go up into that area again. From the beginning I have had GERD very bad, it was so bad I was on 2 different medications as well as over the counter antacids so that is why the Nissen Fundoplication. It has been horrible this 5 year journey. I am getting all of my records together for a second opinion and to possibly have a revision to the RNY.

This surgery was the biggest regret of my life. My life has suffered more and my relationship has also been hurt by this. I am always so tired and sick, and my husband is worried about losing me.

I have also been just left to flounder. I have had numerous swallow tests and load of medications but NOTHING allows me to drink a nice glass of water, albeit a sip at a time, without pain.

So in one word "YES" i regret everything about this surgery.

Heather

Very unlucky sorry to see what you went through

RNY worked amazing for me

I had heard horror stories about RnY surgery. Regarding issues further down the road like Vitamin issues. One of major reasons I chose Sleeve. I hope you get everything fixed! Thoughts and prayers that you can start eating and drinking like normal.

when I had sleeve, my doctor removed my gall bladder as I had stones and also did hiatal hernia repair then.

I can’t believe they waited so long and you haven’t been given the option of an RNY revision. Everything you’ve said sounds like be minus the extra surgeries and time. I’ve had GERD pretty bad for the last 5 months (Pepcid and protonix with tums) and a new hiatal hernia (had one repaired with my sleeve in December 2019) and my revision surgery is in 9 days. I definitely think you need a second opinion for sure!

Sorry you’re in so much pain. I really hope you get answers soon!

No issue at all here with RNY but only 9 months out

I don't think this would apply to most people who have VSG because you've had A LOT of surgeries that most people don't have - and won't need to have. I'm very sorry this happened to you, but other than the GERD (which about 30% of VSG patients experience, from what I've read), the rest of this is pretty rare. Most people have no issues with VSG - or only minor ones.

and yes - it sounds like RNY might be an option - I don't know about the other things you have, but it should improve - if not cure - the GERD part of it.

again, I'm very sorry this happened to you. Sounds like you're one of the very few unlucky patients...

6 hours ago, GingerStylz said:

I had heard horror stories about RnY surgery. Regarding issues further down the road like Vitamin issues. One of major reasons I chose Sleeve. I hope you get everything fixed! Thoughts and prayers that you can start eating and drinking like normal.

when I had sleeve, my doctor removed my gall bladder as I had stones and also did hiatal hernia repair then.

horror stories about RNY are about the same as with VSG - i.e., they're very rare with both surgeries. It sounds like they're more common than they actually are because people are more apt to post about them - to get support or advice - than they are if their surgery went off without a hitch. People don't usually broadcast that they had a surgery that went great with no issues - but they do if they've had serious complications. Major complications with either surgery are very rare.

9 hours ago, escape_pinacolada said:

Hello,

I am new to this forum but I really need to warn others. I am 5 years post op from the sleeve surgery and am MISERABLE! I have also had 4 more surgeries to fix a hiatal hernia at the esophagus and stomach as well as pouches that were formed by the surgery. I have not been able to eat normally since the surgery and by normally I mean the way you are suppose to after VSG. I haven't been able to drink Water without pain. My SW was 245 and now I am at 184 and losing since my most recent surgery. The recent surgery was to fix the hiatal hernia again. I was told it was a "new" way of fixing the hernia, nothing more was told to me. My pancreas was also removed at the same time. My surgery was called a Nissen Fundoplication, its pretty complicated. They use of the stomach to be wrapped around the esophagus so it won't go up into that area again. From the beginning I have had GERD very bad, it was so bad I was on 2 different medications as well as over the counter antacids so that is why the Nissen Fundoplication. It has been horrible this 5 year journey. I am getting all of my records together for a second opinion and to possibly have a revision to the RNY.

This surgery was the biggest regret of my life. My life has suffered more and my relationship has also been hurt by this. I am always so tired and sick, and my husband is worried about losing me.

I have also been just left to flounder. I have had numerous swallow tests and load of medications but NOTHING allows me to drink a nice glass of Water, albeit a sip at a time, without pain.

Heather

I didn't think you could live without a Pancreas?

You certainly have been through the wringer on this, and for that I, too, am sorry to see your struggles.

It does seem that a revision of some sort is called for, and a second opinion (and even third...) is certainly called for in cases like yours (or really for any revision.) My suggestion is to find a surgeon from the DS (duodenal switch) world for another opinion, as the DS is a more complex bariatric procedure that most surgeons don't offer, DS docs tend to come from the top of the class, and as the DS uses the VSG as its basis, they tend to be the most experienced surgeons around when it comes to sleeve problems as they have been doing them a lot longer than most bariatric surgeons.

My first choice for discussing a problem such as yours would be Dr. Ara Keshishian, who is down in the LA area. People come from all over the country to see him on complex revisions and other bariatric problems, so he is used to doing virtual consults (at least the initial one) so you don't have to travel to get an idea as to what solutions there may be for your problem. A bit close to you would be Drs. Rabkin, Jossert or Cirangle, all in different practices in the SF area, but all from the DS world and well experienced with sleeves.

It is good to hear that your doc has tried a Nissen; while not particularly new, it is somewhat unusual with the sleeve as there isn't much fundus left to plicate, so many bariatric surgeons go straight to an RNY revision as they don't know how to do the Nissen on a sleeve. I have a small hiatel hernia and talked to Dr. K about it, but it isn't appropriate for my situation, but since my symptoms are mild, it is a wait and see situation - I'm not eager to go to the RNY as it's something of a surgical dead end that removes a lot of options once you go there (but it generally works well once you do.)

Good luck in working this through....

3 hours ago, mattk53 said:

I didn't think you could live without a Pancreas?

I think you can, but you automatically develop diabetes since you can no longer produce insulin?

Yeah I'm confused how you could do a nissen on a sleeved stomach, as there's like nothing at the top of the stomach to work with. Regardless, hope you can get a Roux and feel better soon!

1 hour ago, colormehappy said:

I think you can, but you automatically develop diabetes since you can no longer produce insulin?

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I was thinking about Pancreatic cancer witch is almost always fatal.

I personally chose the RNY as my first and only surgery and it has worked flawlessly for me

15 hours ago, escape_pinacolada said:

Hello,

I have also been just left to flounder. I have had numerous swallow tests and load of medications but NOTHING allows me to drink a nice glass of Water, albeit a sip at a time, without pain.

Heather

I'm not sure if you had the Fundoplication yet but if not, ask your surgeon if the RNY conversion with hernia repair will provide a better long term outcome with fewer surgeries down the line.

2nd and 3rd opinions are also an option.

Good Luck

I’m not talking about complications with surgery. I’m talking about Vitamin malabsorption and other issues. With RnY you are completely moving everything around and rerouting. Everybody I spoke to about before I made my decision has had issues plus it does have a higher rate of failing as well. I had been looking at this as an option for about 15 yrs. I spoke to people who had different surgeries. Not every case is the same. To me the the sleeve had the least amount of risk and changes to your system as you are only removing part of the stomach. People also need to understand that what may be good for one is not good for all.