Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel it's time to tell me story as best I can and hopefully it will give the new comers some hope and take away their worries or anxiety about surgery.

Okay I have a very dysfunctional childhood and I think maybe subconsciously I turned to movies and food as a way to cope until alcohol came along but all those things combined made me gain weight massively in my teen years.

As a child I was tiny but after my father passed and my stepfather came in the picture; he was a tyrant; life changed dramatically.

Anyway fast forward to the end of high school I had reached over 250lbs and by 21 I was 320lbs and my weight fluctuated over the years between 300-320 until I finally found a way to get bariatric surgery..

I always believed surgery was for the rich people and I was never rich... But I found out randomly that health insurance would cover most of surgery and I'd never had health insurance before because here in Australia we have an amazing Medicare system that covers pretty much everything to do with doctors and hospitals except for elective surgery like bariatrics; unless you're like super morbidly obese and even then it can take 3 years and numerous hurdles....

So I researched and researched for months and months and spoke to multiple surgeons offices until I found the perfect surgeon; I needed to get health insurance first then do the waiting period which I used to save up the gap and that gap covered absolutely everything from first meeting until surgery and hospital was covered.

I met the surgeon and his doctor and got information and told them I wanted ROUX EN Y BYPASS; and we all agreed that was the best decision as I had bad type 2 diabetes and it would only get worse.

I weighed in at 322 there and then and I just wished and hoped the surgery would help me to get down to at least 200 maybe 190; I just wanted to be healthy and happy and of course to look better and feel better in myself.

Anyway from first consultation until the surgery day was about 4 months had a few meetings with surgeon and he does a very direct approach no need for all the tests and stuff just my medical history and some blood tests and a big discussion was about it and he was ready to go.

I was advised to do at least 2-3 weeks low carbs/protein shake diet before surgery and to try lose at least 10lbs; but I literally woke up one morning 2 months before surgery and decided there and then to kick start my journey and started on Protein Shakes and I actually found a brand and flavor that I actually loved. It tasted just like chocolate milkshake even though I only used Water to mix it up :)

i tried a few different brands but they were either too bland or no taste at all I like flavor and I like a little sweetness in my shakes... And I've been using the same shakes in bulk powder form for months without any issues at all...

So I started on shakes and they literally filled me up and I was determined to show the surgeon I meant business.

i was amazed how quickly the weight came off because I was ONLY on shakes Max 600cal preop; I dropped so much water weight it was amazing.

By surgery day I had already dropped from 322 to 257lbs and the surgeon was so proud.

i went into the hospital early without only water that morning so my sugar was actually low so they made me wait a few hours longer and I went in to surgery I think 3pm and next thing I know I was awake in ICU a few hours later and surgery was done but oh boy was it painful for me; I'm not sure why but I was in pain for like 2 days luckily I was given good drugs through the IV and slept most of the 2 days...

By the 3rd day I started drinking a small glass of Protein Shake and was sipping water each day; here in Australia the surgeon is very cautious so I actually spent 6 days in hospital was fine I had my own private room and bathroom and was really well looked after.... By the 3rd day they finally took the drain out and I had a shower for the first time and a BM which was like sticky black green like a baby; oh the shower felt amazing on my poor sore belly; I think I had 5 incisions sites and a very tight bloated belly.

Each day I would walk the halls of the hospital and say hello to the nurses and other times I would rest and watch TV but by like the 5th day I was feeling really good and was ready to go home but because I lived over 2hrs from the surgeon and hospital they made sure I was 110% fit and healthy; they checked my blood sugar and blood pressure multiple times a day and they said everything was fine, by the time I left the hospital they had taken me off multiple medications and it felt Great.

The ride home in my mates car was a little rough but it felt Great to be home and in my own bed my big bed not the single bed in hospital...

It's hard to remember everything I went through its been over 8 months since I left the hospital but I do know I was still a little sore when bending or carrying shopping bags for the first few weeks I had to be careful.... Showering was amazing my bandages on my incisions came off on their own after like 3 weeks.. I was given a guideline diet but Ive always been a strong independent personality so I just chose to do things my way; of course I was glad for the surgery and the surgeons advice but I felt is my body; my life I need to do it my way so maybe I was lucky but I didn't even think about food for months like literally I lived off shakes and yoghurt for months before I really started actual food and of course the weight kept coming off everyday it was amazing.

For the first 3 months I think I was on maybe 500cal a day with next to no carbs or sugars... I didn't feel hungry at all... Shakes kept me going...

Every couple of months I had to buy new clothes, I couldn't believe how much I changed one month to the next and people who hasn't seen me in a few months were shocked ever time they saw me....

i never kept it secret from anyone; I was proud of my decision to finally change my life and possibly extend my life, I was enjoying the complements and I was lucky I don't think I stalled for more than a week and I never had any complications at all except for diarrhoea BM for a while and sure I threw up a few times when trying different things or eating too quickly...

i started drinking regular coffee by 3 months and my surgeon said it was fine as long as I don't get dehydrated.. I was drinking tea as well and by 6 months I actually decided to treat myself here and there with some sugar free energy drinks and it has not impacted me or my weight loss one bit.

Now I'm over 8 months out I can eat most things just small portions; I've even had bread a few times just have to take it very slowly... I've had Pasta a few times and even had some chocolate over Easter without any issues at all and still continued to lose weight...

i will admit recently I've had some treats here and there but that was once I got in to maintenance mode...

I've pretty much been in maintenance now over 2 months and pretty much sit around 165lbs but just this week I've seen 163lbs on the scales...

i don't log my food much now but I do keep a mental tally of my calories and such and I do still check my weight regularly to make sure I'm doing well..

i had the RNY bypass and it was 120cm and it was amazing; I've had a blast and I've lost pretty much 50% of my original weight.

FROM highest of 322 to the lowest 162.8lbs just the other day....

i felt the need to share my story everything has been positive for me. It has totally changed my life and transformed my life and the way I see myself... I'll be 36 in 3 weeks but I feel better than I have in 20 years...

i want everyone to read my story and see it is possible to have the BYPASS without any issues and also my 3 months blood tests were perfect so no issues with Vitamins either just have to remember to take them everyday..

The one issue I will say was my hair did get thinner and would grow slower but never fell out.... I'm sure in time it will get better :)

I've gone from being the FAT friend to the SKINNY friend...

i look and feel amazing and my BMI has gone from 43 to 22.

I've dropped 159lbs or 72KGS in 10 months including my preop...

From 146KG to 74KG and below every goal I thought I wanted.

I don't mind because most people will bounce back 10-20lbs anyway plus when I do start to build muscle that will add a little weight because right now I'm kinda skin and bones LOL feels weird saying that about myself but its pretty good...

I'm really hoping I'll meet someone soon and start a family and live a long long life 😁😁😁

So if anybody is curious about RNY BYPASS don't be afraid...

Success is possible!!!!

A few pics before and after

IMG_20200515_213639.JPG

20200625_215711.jpg

20200614_011006.jpg

IMG_20200523_210806.JPG

You look amazing and your story is an inspiration - thanks for sharing!

Thank you for taking the time to share your journey!/What a fantasic journey! Thank you brother.

Thanks guys

👀 You're looking GREAT! I am so glad you feel better too.

Congrats on your achievement! BTW- what shakes do you use?

Edited by Suzi_the_Q

Scitec nutrition 100% whey

https://usa.scitecnutrition.com/products/100-whey-protein-professional

I'm not sure what it costs in USA but its cheap here... I love it but it may be too sweet for some people... The best flavor is chocolate hazelnut..

New photo

Comments please

IMG_20200714_174517.jpg

😁😍🤞