Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

I had a lot of restriction with sleeve and with everything I ate. I don't have that restriction now, so that was scary for me. I have dumping now and it sucks. I still have GERD so far. One weird thing is the weight loss. I do believe the bypassing of calories is very true, at least it is for me. I am only a month in so I want to see what happens next month.

What do you mean the 'bypassing of calories'? i'm not sure what you mean.

Also, sorry to hear you still have GERD! :( That is not what you wanted after all this, I'm sure!

39 minutes ago, beaker27 said:

What do you mean the 'bypassing of calories'? i'm not sure what you mean.

Also, sorry to hear you still have GERD! :( That is not what you wanted after all this, I'm sure!

Not only do you lose Vitamins with the bypass but you also have less calories absorbed.

For instance I lost 14 lbs the first month after VSG and weighed 296 day of surgery.

I lost 12 lbs gastric bypass after first month and weighed 180 day of surgery.

I can only imagine what I would have lost had this been my first surgery being 116 lbs heavier. Not to mention I wouldn't have erosive esophagitis D and who knows maybe GERD free ?

I also had hiatal hernia repair when the did the bypass revision. It was a much more painful surgery for me.

Edited by Tracyringo

On 6/26/2020 at 4:50 PM, Tracyringo said:

Not only do you lose Vitamins with the bypass but you also have less calories absorbed.

For instance I lost 14 lbs the first month after VSG and weighed 296 day of surgery.

I can only imagine what I would have lost had this been my first surgery being 116 lbs heavier. Not to mention I wouldn't have erosive esophagitis D and who knows maybe GERD free ?

I also had hiatal hernia repair when the did the bypass revision. It was a much more painful surgery for me.

Oh no! I have a hiatal too! I didnt realize that would be so painful. :( Such a long road for us, having revisions. You'd think the acid reflux would go away by now.

On 6/27/2020 at 7:20 AM, Tracyringo said:

Yeah it's awesome isn't it how well the bypass works :)

16 hours ago, beaker27 said:

Oh no! I have a hiatal too! I didnt realize that would be so painful. :( Such a long road for us, having revisions. You'd think the acid reflux would go away by now.

Hopefully it wont be as bad for you. Hope it will take care of your GERD also. I still have the acid and I am hoping it works itself out in the next 2 months

7 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

Hopefully it wont be as bad for you. Hope it will take care of your GERD also. I still have the acid and I am hoping it works itself out in the next 2 months

Yes, that would be wonderful! I'm hoping so too!

@Phoenix20 I feel the exact way. I am now torn between a sleeve or bypass. My final weigh-in is Monday before submitting to insurance. The rate of revisions I'm seeing is not comforting, but I had my heart set on a sleeve. Acid Reflux terrifies me because I'm a singer. UGH. Good luck to you and your decision.

1 hour ago, SpecialK92 said:

@Phoenix20 I feel the exact way. I am now torn between a sleeve or bypass. My final weigh-in is Monday before submitting to insurance. The rate of revisions I'm seeing is not comforting, but I had my heart set on a sleeve. Acid Reflux terrifies me because I'm a singer. UGH. Good luck to you and your decision.

hey! i've been thinking about it a lot. i think the sleeve is very successful for so many people so i'm going to stick with it. many people don't have problems so i'm trying not to overthink it and expect the worst, ya know? best of luck to you too!!! keep me posted :) rooting for you!

1 hour ago, SpecialK92 said:

If i could do it over again, I would have chosen bypass. I know that's easy to say now, though. Best of luck to you!

I had a sleeve in July 2019 got incredibly sick after the surgery. Developed awful reflux developed a hernia from vomiting literally lost my mind from a lack of Protein after all the vommitting couldn’t walk ended up in a rehab hospital still couldn’t keep any food down as a life saving measure they converted my sleeve to a bypass in February 2020 and fixed the hernia at the same time. Since the conversion thank god my memory is slowly coming back and my strength is also slowly returning. On the plus side I am doing much better with being able to eat and haven’t vomited except 2xs since the revision With all that being said due to all my issues I had no insurance requirements that I had to meet. The drs just scheduled the surgery I arrived had the surgery and repair and then was hospitalized for 3 days afterward to ensure everything worked the way it was supposed to.

I was sleeved last year and have developed herd. I am getting frustrated because it happens with everything that I eat now. Anything that I put into my mouth, I feel sick. It is starting to get unbearable.

I have never had heartburn/acid reflux in my life, and only developed it and GERD after I was sleeved. It is so uncomfortable and led to many sinus issues as well. I've been on twice daily Protonix and it just takes the 'edge off' the acid reflux.

On 07/02/2020 at 16:42, SpecialK92 said:

@lyladyp yeah see this is my concern. Are you on any PPIs?

Yes, I have been taking pantoprazole since after surgery. I was advised that it was temporary just in case I developed Gerd. However after 3 months, I tried taking meds because I never been on any type of daily medication before. Now I’m addition that, I keep bottled of Tums. So I have been weighing my options lately.