Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working out again question.

I was sleeved 11/15/19, so I'll be 7 months post-op soon.. ive had a longer recovery road than normal but recently felt I may be time to get into fitness...I tried CrossFit and my body definitely let me know "hey this is too much"...I almost feel like I failed simply because I wasn't able to push myself but had to listen to my body. Also wasn't aware of how intense CrossFit was. Anyways, any pointers of how to begin exercise without injuring myself? I know I'll need to ease into it for sure..

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using BariatricPal mobile app

Are able to go to the gym yet or are they still closed due to covid? If you are able to, I would recommend a couple of sessions with a personal trainer so as they can set a program for you and make sure your form is good.

Otherwise is bootcamp a thing where you are? Bootcamp is something that can be modified to all levels of fitness and experience.

5 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Are able to go to the gym yet or are they still closed due to covid? If you are able to, I would recommend a couple of sessions with a personal trainer so as they can set a program for you and make sure your form is good.

Otherwise is bootcamp a thing where you are? Bootcamp is something that can be modified to all levels of fitness and experience.

I tried CrossFit and my body was letting me know it was a nope.. I started having an odd pain in the center of my stomach (I wasn't doing crunches ) and so I figured okay maybe I need to start out smaller.. I think there's a bootcamp fitness near by, haven't checked it out yet though. I'll look into it if it has different levels for sure! Thank you !

Maybe start off slower? Just walking is nice and entry-level...

A gym/weights program may be your thing, I can't imagine me doing crossfit (and its a shame they didn't help you modify the level for you) but I do enjoy going to the gym (not currently as they are still closed where I am) doing some weight training. Weight training is good for me, something I can do by myself. For anyone new to a gym a couple of sessions with a personal trainer helps familiarise with the weights/machines and ensure form is good. Could get updates every few months with a trainer.

With weights you can start fairly low weights to help build up strength and stamina and progress as your fitness improves.

I hope you find something that suits and appeals to you.

Crossfit is pretty intense for a beginner. You could start by walking, biking, maybe a low impact cardio dance class, weight machines, elliptical - oh - and swimming. Great exercise. And I also used to do Water aerobics and loved it!

Yea jeez take it very slow try different machines do it your own pace

Cross fit is to much - I actually do cross fit but had to do One on One cross fit for about 3 months daily before i could go into a class. No I am in the Legends class ...... Ok not because we are all legends just because we are over 50 - I would suggest you stay clear of cross fit and do elliptical and tread mill and machine work outs for the next 8 Months - Once you get your cardio way up then try a one on one cross fit. My kid is a cross fit super member insane and even he suggested i do not do it in the beginning.

Depending on what your preferences are there are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to starting exercising (again). Do you prefer working out at home alone or with other people? Do you mind driving somewhere first before being able to start (I for sure do).

If you prefer some cardio to start with you might as well looking into dancing or Zumba or something like that besides walking, cycling or running.

Strength training one can look into stuff like Freeletics or YAYOG (great programs for the beginner or once-injured-and-now-starting-again people available there, but it's not free).

20 hours ago, Rolltide87 said:

I was sleeved 11/15/19, so I'll be 7 months post-op soon.. ive had a longer recovery road than normal but recently felt I may be time to get into fitness...I tried CrossFit and my body definitely let me know "hey this is too much"...I almost feel like I failed simply because I wasn't able to push myself but had to listen to my body. Also wasn't aware of how intense CrossFit was. Anyways, any pointers of how to begin exercise without injuring myself? I know I'll need to ease into it for sure..

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow I commend you for trying CrossFit but yeah, that's cray insane for just starting out. Like others definitely try walking, a little jogging, hiking with hills, Tennis, biking, Ujam, Zumba, Dancing. Weights at home are easy hand weights are inexpensive or sometimes you can get them for free on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or Freecycle (sorry not sure where you live) so which resources are good for you to look for weights for cheap. There are a ton of Youtube videos showing different hand weight exercises. Squats, Lunges, are super helpful as well. Oh I almost forgot Yoga 🧘‍♀️ I know it sounds "cheesy" but it really helps with stretching and flexibility while building your muscles.

Like what Winston said up there build up your endurance, cardio, and stamina before trying Crossfit or any super physical activity again. You did not fail, just need to start out at an activity level more in tune with your fitness currently.

Good Luck 🍀 👍 You can do this.

Edited by Ostflicka

I would like to know the reason behind your longer recovery. I often see many athletes in my gym who face same problem of late recovery after injuring their muscles. I'm confused about the role of diet in healing the injury.