Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obsessing about Plastic Surgery!!

Since I have nothing better to do during COVID19, I scheduled a virtual consult with my favorite surgeon (he's one of 4 that I really like). I told the office that I still have 35lbs to lose, and won't be looking to schedule until 2021, and they said that this is a good time to do the consult as the surgeon is booked through November anyway.

So I sent naked pics of myself, and will have a video chat on Friday! Ahhh!!!

On 5/24/2020 at 8:43 PM, Darktowerdream said:

im hoping my numerous previous surgeries will have me prepared for how to manage the post op incision care. I’ve never traveled so far and will likely go home with drains in place.

you might not have to. I know some surgeons leave the drains in for a couple of weeks (although it may depend on the situation, too), but I went to Chicago for my surgery (I live in southern Wisconsin - about two hours from Chicago), and he took mine out at my first post-op, about four days later, before I headed back home. It was great because I didn't have to deal with them after I got home. Although it could be that they were just ready to come out, too - it depends on how much "output" you're having, I believe...

also - belly buttons - they try to position them in a natural spot, in proportion to the "new" you, and they arrange the skin over them so that (supposedly) you can't tell you've had surgery (although as I said above - sometimes you can tell - so check for someone skilled in this as it's supposedly a challenge to create natural-looking ones) - so i'm not sure how this will turn out if you tell them not to re-position it. Just ask when you're there - obviously they're going to be WAY better at predicting the results than I am!!

5 hours ago, summerset said:

Some also say that results are better when patients have been at a stable weight for a while. Ok, I guess being at a relatively stable weight for the required amount of time shouldn't be a hindrance any more. "Stable weight" for a surgeon means tolerating some fluctuations after all.

Maybe I'm too indifferent when it comes to the aesthetic outcome. I want the flab gone, no complications and painless scars. Don't care if they're visible or whatever. My skin looks horrible anyway and my abdominal wall is a visceral surgeon's battlefield after five laparoscopies.

well, yea - at age 60, my bikini-wearing days are L-O-N-G gone, so I don't care too much about scars, either, as long as they're not in the middle of my face or something. I do love my results, though. I could have lived with something not quite as aesthetic as long as that saggy skin was gone, but I must admit he did a great job while he was at it. I don't think my body looks like a typical 60-year-old's at all....let alone the body of someone who's lost a truckload of weight. Not a sag to be found, and everything is in proportion. This is how I should have looked at age 30 or 40 (but unfortunately, did not...)

and yes - there's no such thing as a completely stable weight. Normal, never-been-overweight people have weight that fluctuates - like a five-pound range or something. The surgeons just don't want people to have surgery and then put on 20 lbs, because it can affect the results (they say gaining or losing 10 lbs or so is fine, but much beyond that can screw up their work). That's one of the many reasons I had it - figured it might force me to stay at a decent weight since I went through so much hell and forked over so much money to look this way!!

6 hours ago, summerset said:

Some also say that results are better when patients have been at a stable weight for a while. Ok, I guess being at a relatively stable weight for the required amount of time shouldn't be a hindrance any more. "Stable weight" for a surgeon means tolerating some fluctuations after all.

Maybe I'm too indifferent when it comes to the aesthetic outcome. I want the flab gone, no complications and painless scars. Don't care if they're visible or whatever. My skin looks horrible anyway and my abdominal wall is a visceral surgeon's battlefield after five laparoscopies.

It’s been almost 13 months I guess since my surgery do I have patience for waiting for skin surgery not really. I think my weight is stable enough now. I think having the sagging wrinkled skin is uglier than any scar could be. And I too have had quite a few abdominal surgeries. Hysterectomy in 2010 and then Two pelvic laparoscopies that we’re sandwiched around my gastric bypass surgery. I’ve had other surgeries in the past. I lost count on the foot and tendon surgeries. I have a long incision at the back of each calf. And breast reduction which feels like a million years ago. It’s not the stretch marks as much the shar pei hanging wrinkled skin and the flab as you put it that doesn’t go away but hangs. I took the dreaded look in the mirror at my rear and I’m hoping that I can have a body I haven’t had as long as I can remember I’m fine with some scars ... I don’t need it for attention but for how I feel physically and mentally. But it’s hard to put to words.

my one concern is making sure the incision site doesn’t get Stretched. Has anyone found silicone tape helps with keeping tugging on incisions? Actually my biggest concern is my allergies to adhesive, iodine, and surgical glue.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

you might not have to. I know some surgeons leave the drains in for a couple of weeks (although it may depend on the situation, too), but I went to Chicago for my surgery (I live in southern Wisconsin - about two hours from Chicago), and he took mine out at my first post-op, about four days later, before I headed back home. It was great because I didn't have to deal with them after I got home. Although it could be that they were just ready to come out, too - it depends on how much "output" you're having, I believe...

also - belly buttons - they try to position them in a natural spot, in proportion to the "new" you, and they arrange the skin over them so that (supposedly) you can't tell you've had surgery (although as I said above - sometimes you can tell - so check for someone skilled in this as it's supposedly a challenge to create natural-looking ones) - so i'm not sure how this will turn out if you tell them not to re-position it. Just ask when you're there - obviously they're going to be WAY better at predicting the results than I am!!

I will be there seven days total arrive the 14th surgery the 15th depart the 21st it would be great if they thought I was ready to have the drains removed before I left. I will have to wait and see. I had some issue with the drain post gastric bypass but they did remove it before I left hospital.

weird I know but what I mean by not relocating my belly button is just not having one. Because honestly when they relocate it, it’s basically creating a faux belly button. At least that’s my understanding of it but it’s another wait until I see the surgeon and go from there sort of thing. But for me personally I couldn’t care less about belly buttons and one less thing to worry about keeping clean 🤣

I'm scheduled for plastic surgery in January!! Ahhhhh!!! Of course I still need to hit my goal weight, but I'm feeling very confident about that. I can always push back the PS if need be, but I'm using it as motivation to hit goal sooner rather than later!!

I'm having circumferential TT (aka LBL) and a BR/BL w/ implant. I'm so excited!!!

If all goes well with PS (and Covid19), I'm thinking a trip to the Bahamas in May 2021 would be a nice way to Celebrate my new body!

On 5/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, ChubRub said:

I'm scheduled for plastic surgery in January!! Ahhhhh!!! Of course I still need to hit my goal weight, but I'm feeling very confident about that. I can always push back the PS if need be, but I'm using it as motivation to hit goal sooner rather than later!!

I'm having circumferential TT (aka LBL) and a BR/BL w/ implant. I'm so excited!!!

If all goes well with PS (and Covid19), I'm thinking a trip to the Bahamas in May 2021 would be a nice way to Celebrate my new body!

That’s awesome! Mine is inching ever closer. It’s hard to think with all the doctor appointments I had to cram in beforehand that were delayed for so long due to Covid-19. I’m overthinking and under thinking at the same time. And likely not focusing on the right things either, I’m sure you are excited knowing that you will have this when you reach your goal. It doesn’t hurt to plan ahead :) me and planning don’t get along very well. I jumped in I kind of just exist in the moment I’m in ...

Edited by Darktowerdream

7 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

That’s awesome! Mine is inching ever closer. It’s hard to think with all the doctor appointments I had to cram in beforehand that were delayed for so long due to Covid-19. I’m overthinking and under thinking at the same time. And likely not focusing on the right things either, I’m sure you are excited knowing that you will have this when you reach your goal. It doesn’t hurt to plan ahead :) me and planning don’t get along very well. I jumped in I kind of just exist in the moment I’m in ...

I can only imagine how busy you are cramming in all of those last minute pre-op tests and clearances. You are only weeks away! I'm so excited for you! Do you have to get a COVID19 test as part of all the other stuff?

2 hours ago, ChubRub said:

can only imagine how busy you are cramming in all of those last minute pre-op tests and clearances. You are only weeks away! I'm so excited for you! Do you have to get a COVID19 test as part of all the other stuff?

To be honest most of it has nothing to do with the plastic surgery. It was put of for several months because of Covid-19 and I didn’t think it wise to wait until afterward. Some I wasn’t keen on putting it to words until I had it done.

I did see my primary care physician for some CBC for the surgery, the other tests they do at Hospital BC where I’m having surgery in Mexico. I had to see an ENT because of persistent nosebleeds. And will have to follow up Two days before I leave. I had to see my endocrinologist to get reauthorization for a test that was supposed to have been scheduled months ago and wasn’t. A Thyroid biopsy with an interventional radiologist at the hospital. I’m having that June 4th. Then June 10th a double balloon enteroscopy I’ve been waiting months for that, my bariatric surgeon wanted due to history of ulcers in the remnant portion of stomach and blind portion of small intestine as well as my persistent symptoms. I’m not worried about any of it should I be, it doesn’t matter whatever it is, it is. I’ll deal with it in that moment.

I’m not going to let it stop me from going ahead with my plans. And I should be good to go for surgery. I have gotten through enough other surgeries despite everything my body goes through every day with lifelong chronic illness. I will do my best to do this as exhausting as it is. It’s just hard to plan to pack and to think.

like what position is best to sleep in post surgery. I got a list of things to bring from the hospital but is there any special tips to keep the stitches from stretching. They recommended a boppy pillow. I got some cheap old navy jersey knit swing dresses, a robe ... a sling backpack. For all I know I’ll want to stay in a hospital gown the whole time 🤣 even in the hotel ... I’ve been there done that with surgeries. I had open hysterectomy so it will be similar except all the way around so that’s different. I’ve had long incisions in my calves but not thighs.

I watched a belt lipectomy on YouTube. It’s a crazy surgery. It doesn’t scare me. Now crazy ants set off ptsd but something like that doesn’t scare me go figure ... I will have to manage my chronic pain as best I can. The hardest part is It’s ultimate impact on my medical condition M.E. But it’s something I have to deal with every day of my life. So just finding the new normal.

to answer the last question. I have to get test for Covid-19 before I have the double balloon enteroscopy. But it wasn’t a requirement before the plastic surgery.

Edited by Darktowerdream

8 minutes ago, Darktowerdream said:

To be honest most of it has nothing to do with the plastic surgery. It was put of for several months because of Covid-19 and I didn’t think it wise to wait until afterward. Some I wasn’t keen on putting it to words until I had it done.

I did see my primary care physician for some CBC for the surgery, the other tests they do at Hospital BC where I’m having surgery in Mexico. I had to see an ENT because of persistent nosebleeds. And will have to follow up Two days before I leave. I had to see my endocrinologist to get reauthorization for a test that was supposed to have been scheduled months ago and wasn’t. A Thyroid biopsy with an interventional radiologist at the hospital. I’m having that June 4th. Then June 10th a double balloon enteroscopy I’ve been waiting months for that, my bariatric surgeon wanted due to history of ulcers in the remnant portion of stomach and blind portion of small intestine as well as my persistent symptoms. I’m not worried about any of it should I be, it doesn’t matter whatever it is, it is. I’ll deal with it in that moment.

I’m not going to let it stop me from going ahead with my plans. And I should be good to go for surgery. I have gotten through enough other surgeries despite everything my body goes through every day with lifelong chronic illness. I will do my best to do this as exhausting as it is. It’s just hard to plan to pack and to think.

like what position is best to sleep in post surgery. I got a list of things to bring from the hospital but is there any special tips to keep the stitches from stretching. They recommended a boppy pillow. I got some cheap old navy jersey knit swing dresses, a robe ... a sling backpack. For all I know I’ll want to stay in a hospital gown the whole time 🤣 even in the hotel ... I’ve been there done that with surgeries. I had open hysterectomy so it will be similar except all the way around so that’s different. I’ve had long incisions in my calves but not thighs.

I watched a belt lipectomy on YouTube. It’s a crazy surgery. It doesn’t scare me. Now crazy ants set off ptsd but something like that doesn’t scare me go figure ... I will have to manage my chronic pain as best I can. The hardest part is It’s ultimate impact on my medical condition M.E. But it’s something I have to deal with every day of my life. So just finding the new normal.

to answer the last question. I have to get test for Covid-19 before I have the double balloon enteroscopy. But it wasn’t a requirement before the plastic surgery.

the best way to keep stitches from stretching is to try to restrict stretching those parts of your body that are affected as much as you can. I found arms to be the hardest to do that with. I live with my husband so he did my reaching for me, but sometimes you just forget and don't think about it until after you've already reached for something. Plus after the first week or so, my husband went back to work, which made it harder. I had to get up on a step stool to get things out of the cupboards that before I would have just reached for.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

the best way to keep stitches from stretching is to try to restrict stretching those parts of your body that are affected as much as you can. I found arms to be the hardest to do that with. I live with my husband so he did my reaching for me, but sometimes you just forget and don't think about it until after you've already reached for something. Plus after the first week or so, my husband went back to work, which made it harder. I had to get up on a step stool to get things out of the cupboards that before I would have just reached for.

The only part I won’t be having is arms, since I need to focus on thighs and the lower body lift. Although there will be the augmentation.

I had quite a few surgeries restricting mobility. Certain tasks I just have to work around managing myself. Like laundry. I did read that putting surgical tape can help the healing incision from getting stretched but I’m allergic to adhesives. I put a waterproof bandage on my drain site after bypass surgery and it left a burn mark for months ... i seem to get a cumulative reaction. The more I’m exposed the worse it is.

I think sleeping will be the hardest. I toss and turn a lot. I try to sleep on my back but can’t for long. And laying on my side it’s flip flopping. I usually end up twisting like a pretzel. So I need to work on that ... I have high pain tolerance but hopefully can get the pain management in check post op. So I’m able to function. I am wondering how much I should be walking afterward. I am thinking it won’t be as bad as after the gastric bypass and gallbladder surgery. Which TBH I was bed bound and had a lot of difficulty just moving my body. I also don’t have 106lbs of body weight to lift ...

im trying to push myself to plan but my head doesn’t work that way. I am wondering anyone’s experience with silicone tape for scars and if that helps with the tugging. I read it also does. I was just going to get scar gel or cream whatever doesn’t contain glycols. I didn’t use anything on my hysterectomy scar though and that one healed great ... I’m not overly concerned about scars just that they don’t get stretched While healing and cause any infection.

@Darktowerdream It sounds like you've been through quite a few procedures as a result of your medical issues. I'm glad you can finally have this plastic surgery for YOU!!!

5 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

I think sleeping will be the hardest. I toss and turn a lot. I try to sleep on my back but can’t for long. And laying on my side it’s flip flopping. I usually end up twisting like a pretzel. So I need to work on that ... I have high pain tolerance but hopefully can get the pain management in check post op. So I’m able to function. I am wondering how much I should be walking afterward. I am thinking it won’t be as bad as after the gastric bypass and gallbladder surgery. Which TBH I was bed bound and had a lot of difficulty just moving my body. I also don’t have 106lbs of body weight to lift ...

i

I had my lower body lift in a separate surgery from everything else. I had to sleep on my back for AT LEAST a couple of weeks. And walking is harder after that than it was after gastric bypass (or at least it was for me). Getting in and out of bed the first few days was torture, and I had to use a walker once I was up. I had to walk all hunched over for a couple of weeks, as I recall.

overall, I found this a much tougher recovery than was gastric bypass, at least pain-wise, but YMMV.

I also have 20-30 pounds to lose. And I’m also checking up a lot about plastics. I’m wondering if anyone was covered by insurance due to skin irritations and fungus from the loose skin? My dermatologist told me to do research to see if I would get insurance coverage

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

had my lower body lift in a separate surgery from everything else. I had to sleep on my back for AT LEAST a couple of weeks. And walking is harder after that than it was after gastric bypass (or at least it was for me). Getting in and out of bed the first few days was torture, and I had to use a walker once I was up. I had to walk all hunched over for a couple of weeks, as I recall.

overall, I found this a much tougher recovery than was gastric bypass, at least pain-wise, but YMMV.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
It sounds similar to what I’ve been through with other surgeries. I’ve a step stool to get up in bed. I guess I’m pretty good at making adaptations along the way. I do remember the hunched walk after my hysterectomy. Probably one tough thing I forgot was getting in and out of the car ... rolling over or sitting up in bed takes practice to not tug stitching. Makes me wish I had one of those pulleys hanging from the ceiling. I guess I’ll keep in mind past experiences as best I can and tough it out. as usual.

3 hours ago, ChubRub said:

It sounds like you've been through quite a few procedures as a result of your medical issues. I'm glad you can finally have this plastic surgery for YOU!!!

@ChubRub thank you I haven’t thought of it that way. In ways it’s not purely cosmetic it’s also medical. But I haven’t let myself think of it as something for me. I’ve never just done something for me, I’ve never been on vacation either. I guess this will the first thing I’ve done that was actually for me which feels weird to say. I just hope it all works out. I don’t necessarily feel deserving of it. My mom is coming as my companion I want her to feel like it’s a vacation for her though she’s never been to Mexico. Of course neither have I. We are passing through California we have never been there either ...

we are having problems with the flight arrangements already so now I’m getting nervous.