Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obsessing about Plastic Surgery!!



Recommended Posts

I'm still 36lbs away from my goal weight of 130, and once I get there, I might want to drop the goal to 120. I've just started researching plastic surgeons, joined some FB groups, and it's easy to become obsessed!! I'm obviously going to weight until I hit goal to start setting up any consults, but man I can't wait!!

I have 4 Miami surgeons that I'm interested in so far, but then I'll see someone else's photos and want to add their surgeon to my list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO EXCITED FOR YOU! Your extensive research will pay off😅, and hope you take us along on the journey!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, summerset said:

I started to obsess and then COVID-19 came along the way, lol.

Are you thinking about staying local or traveling for PS? I always just assumed I would stay local, but none of the docs here seem to specialize in tummy tucks or MMO. I want an artist!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local. There is a clinic just some 100 m away that has good reputation and the surgeon does combo surgeries.

I only had video chat so far because they're still not open for regular appointments. I'm going to try again in a few days.

Anyway, one criteria for me is combo surgery. I don't want to have more hospital stays and absences than absolutely necessary. If I have to travel, I will. However, I prefer staying local.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ChubRub I am totally with you on this obsession but I have a longer ways to go to get to goal than you do. I have several clinics that are about an hour away and they all recommend coming in and having consultations even before you reach goal. I haven’t gone in though because as @summerset mentioned, they will only do 1 surgery at a time. I’m needing a panniculectomy/tummy tuck(I will have to pay the difference), a breast lift, thigh lift and arm lift. There’s no way I’m doing 4 different surgeries and recoveries! I’m in the Midwest but am thinking of traveling somewhere else for these procedures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Puffy-no-more said:

There’s no way I’m doing 4 different surgeries and recoveries!

Totally this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a lot of plastic surgeons want you to be at a stable weight for 6-12 months before getting plastic surgery. Reason being is a lot of us experience a 10-20 lb bounce back after hitting our lowest weight. Gaining or losing more than 10 or 12 lbs after plastic surgery can affect your results. I actually waited two years until I was absolutely sure I was at a stable weight.

also, it's good to get someone who specializes in people who've had massive weight loss, or at minimum, someone who has done a truckload of these surgeries. It's supposed a pretty complicated subspecialty, so you want to make sure you have someone who's had a lot of experience with it. Keep in mind that the pictures they post on their Web site are probably going to reflect their best work, so look at sites like realself.com, too. Check belly buttons - those are supposedly hard to do. I've seen some crappy-looking post-surgical belly buttons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@catwoman7 - Funny you mention belly buttons! That is the first thing I look at, b/c there are some funky ones out there!! I'm 47, so I don't want to wait too long for a MMO, b/c I really want to rock a bikini and not look like an old lady! ha ha ha!!

Agreed with you ladies on not having to go back for additional surgeries! I want it all done at once!! I kind of even want a chin implant (I hate my small chin), if the surgeon would be willing to do it while I get the MMO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit this subject has been a big deal for me. Despite the financial challenges of it.

I had my gastric bypass surgery April 29th 2019 and I reached goal earlier than I thought I would. To be honest I reached a goal I never thought I could.

My excess skin is more problematic and unsightly probably due to my inability to exercise. Especially my thighs and butt. My core can use the strengthening it would help with along with the skin removal. Some areas I feel like a Shar Pei ... I get bloody rashes on my thighs especially trying to shave but it’s catch 22 I have to shave otherwise I get rashes from irritating hair ... due to pcos. Anyway. I’d hoped that insurance might offer some help. I asked my surgeon they were like yes Florida does pay for certain reasons. They said make an appointment with the plastic surgeon. But when we called they said they didn’t accept insurance. I figured if Cleveland Clinic didn’t no one else would. Honestly I watch that show my 600lb life and how people get free skin removal ... it’s not fair.

sorry I rambled. Just when I didn’t know what to do, I found that BariatricPal actually has their own Hospital and researched them and they are awesome. It’s located in Mexico and is a short ride from San Diego airport. It’s called Hospital BC.

I’ve been emailing them for some time now and they have been patiently helping me with deciding on choosing their Hospital and then planning this. I am scheduled for surgery June 15th. I’m trying to prepare myself for it! I leave June 14th from Palm beach airport. I return on June 21st and technically get home June 22nd.

I will be having belt lipectomy with butterfly lift, tightening of the stomach muscles. And to be honest I will be asking them to not relocate my bellybutton. I will also be having thigh lift. And breast augmentation.

I had to have CBC bloodwork at my doctors appointment prior. But otherwise they do everything there. It’s all inclusive. They provide transportation to and from the airport. I stay in hospital one night and in their special hotel the rest but with 24 hour nurse/doctor and concierge. Meals and other things are included that I can’t think of at the moment. They give Faja and even lymphatic massage if it’s needed.

im hoping my numerous previous surgeries will have me prepared for how to manage the post op incision care. I’ve never traveled so far and will likely go home with drains in place. My primary care physician wasn’t too pleased with the idea ... but at this point she was smart and didn’t try and argue with me 🤣 Honestly you can be in the states and get really terrible surgeons ... and I found this place looks excellent.

this is the website:

https://hospitalbc.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Darktowerdream Wow!!! June 15th will be here before you know it! I'm so excited for you!! Please keep us posted on your progress!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ChubRub I will try. I think I had a post I made. Not sure I’ll update or post new. I’ve never done anything like this before. I’m doing my usual not thinking when maybe I should be. I have a last minute double balloon enteroscopy scheduled June 10th. But didn’t think it wise to wait any longer on it. That was postponed months. I’m waiting to hear on scheduling another medical test before as well and that’s more nerve wracking to me than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2020 at 10:39 PM, catwoman7 said:

A lot of plastic surgeons want you to be at a stable weight for 6-12 months before getting plastic surgery. Reason being is a lot of us experience a 10-20 lb bounce back after hitting our lowest weight. Gaining or losing more than 10 or 12 lbs after plastic surgery can affect your results. I actually waited two years until I was absolutely sure I was at a stable weight.

Some also say that results are better when patients have been at a stable weight for a while. Ok, I guess being at a relatively stable weight for the required amount of time shouldn't be a hindrance any more. "Stable weight" for a surgeon means tolerating some fluctuations after all.

Maybe I'm too indifferent when it comes to the aesthetic outcome. I want the flab gone, no complications and painless scars. Don't care if they're visible or whatever. My skin looks horrible anyway and my abdominal wall is a visceral surgeon's battlefield after five laparoscopies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/24/2020 at 15:39, catwoman7 said:



a lot of plastic surgeons want you to be at a stable weight for 6-12 months before getting plastic surgery. Reason being is a lot of us experience a 10-20 lb bounce back after hitting our lowest weight. Gaining or losing more than 10 or 12 lbs after plastic surgery can affect your results. I actually waited two years until I was absolutely sure I was at a stable weight.




also, it's good to get someone who specializes in people who've had massive weight loss, or at minimum, someone who has done a truckload of these surgeries. It's supposed a pretty complicated subspecialty, so you want to make sure you have someone who's had a lot of experience with it. Keep in mind that the pictures they post on their Web site are probably going to reflect their best work, so look at sites like realself.com, too. Check belly buttons - those are supposedly hard to do. I've seen some crappy-looking post-surgical belly buttons.


I waited 2 years as well! ALSO, to the original poster, I highly recommend that you look for a surgeon that specializes in major weight loss surgery. It’s a different type of artistry than your typical mommy makeovers. Way more skin & sculpting involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, summerset said:

Some also say that results are better when patients have been at a stable weight for a while. Ok, I guess being at a relatively stable weight for the required amount of time shouldn't be a hindrance any more. "Stable weight" for a surgeon means tolerating some fluctuations after all.

Maybe I'm too indifferent when it comes to the aesthetic outcome. I want the flab gone, no complications and painless scars. Don't care if they're visible or whatever. My skin looks horrible anyway and my abdominal wall is a visceral surgeon's battlefield after five laparoscopies.

I also have a bunch of lap scars. Fun thing will be that when the skin is pulled down and cut off, a lot of those scars will end up in the surgeon's trash can! LOL!! I just want the flab gone too!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×