Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble Sleeping

I'm 4wks out of a mini bypass.

I've noticed I'm having trouble sleeping or staying asleep. I wake up about every 2-3hrs :(

it's not pain related, as I'm pretty much healed now. I'm just very restless.

anyone else had the same thing?

still to this day i have it - I believe its the major changes we are gong thru mentally and physically! One thing that did help me was a sleep sound machine off Amazon. I sleep in the jungle now or by the ocean

6 minutes ago, WInston223322 said:

still to this day i have it - I believe its the major changes we are gong thru mentally and physically! One thing that did help me was a sleep sound machine off Amazon. I sleep in the jungle now or by the ocean

Oh i have a Google home mini with sleep routines on it, might try it 😊

If you have Alexia... you can tell her to play sounds.... i tell her to turn off in 30 min. I started not sleeping when i started menopause last year. My GYN gave me Ambien.... it works great, but it has side effects for some people.

I for one ate in my sleep ..... and i like to put on fashion shows for my husband in lingerie.... hehe He Ambien shops on Amazon. Most of the time its for my benefit... as i have been bought lots of great stuff... hehe The trick is to put things in the cart... and bam .... hehe don't tell him.

i was having trouble falling asleep and now when i don't take it.... i have night mares.....very vivid and i can remember every detail..... one night i dreamed about a nuclear attack and dreamed i was telling my husband about my dream while i was still dreaming....

I really like the app "daily calm" there is a free version also. There are things to listen to to help you sleep, like a sound machine, they also have stories to put you to sleep. I haven't had to use it since surgery though. I have managed to keep a very strict sleep schedule. I go to bed at the same time and get up without an alarm at the same time each morning.

There are so many hormonal and chemical changes that happen with rapid weight loss. This can result in excessive energy and less sleep. I remember feeling like the energizer bunny on steroids, Normally I sleep 7 hours a night, but for several months, I only slept 3-4 hours and woke up feeling great. My thyroid was normal. There are a sort of euphoria, as well. Now that I am stabilized at goal, I have normal energy and sleep 7 hours a night again.

If you are also experiencing a lot of energy, take full advantage of it. Put it into exercise and your weight loss will progress even better.

11 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

There are so many hormonal and chemical changes that happen with rapid weight loss. This can result in excessive energy and less sleep. I remember feeling like the energizer bunny on steroids, Normally I sleep 7 hours a night, but for several months, I only slept 3-4 hours and woke up feeling great. My thyroid was normal. There are a sort of euphoria, as well. Now that I am stabilized at goal, I have normal energy and sleep 7 hours a night again.

If you are also experiencing a lot of energy, take full advantage of it. Put it into exercise and your weight loss will progress even better.

Sadly I'm the complete opposite, no energy and sleepy most afternoons 😪 but i can't seem to stay asleep

4 hours ago, Sabs211 said:

Sadly I'm the complete opposite, no energy and sleepy most afternoons 😪 but i can't seem to stay asleep

Do you have sleep apnea?

5 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

Do you have sleep apnea?

No. I used to before i lost 100+ lbs prior to surgery.

4 hours ago, Sabs211 said:

No. I used to before i lost 100+ lbs prior to surgery.

Were you checked again before surgery or was it assumed because you lost the weight that you wouldn't have apnea still?

I have insomnia at least two nights a week where I don't sleep at all. But that's been going on since before my surgery. I just have trouble turning my brain off. I've tried putting on classical music, sounds, etc. Even taken valium before I was supposed to go to sleep and that only works half the time. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that for years I didn't have a normal sleep schedule due to my TN which always acted up the worst at night. Before I had my brain surgery two years ago (to take care of the TN), I simply didn't sleep at night. I'd sleep a half hour here or there in between the pain and there was no set time for it. The majority of the sleep I got was during the day. Maybe ten or twenty minutes of that would be at night. I've been trying to get back into the routine of sleeping at night, but my brain is overactive at night lol. And I refuse to take sleeping pills because I've tried them before and it didn't go so well...

7 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Were you checked again before surgery or was it assumed because you lost the weight that you wouldn't have apnea still?

After i lost the weight i never woke up gasping for air like i did when i was heavier so i assumed i didn't have it anymore

While obesity is a big risk for sleep apnea there are other risk factors too

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sleep-apnea/symptoms-causes/syc-20377631

Some of the afternoon fatigue and sleepiness may not be due to low calorie intake,

I'm 4wks out of a mini bypass.
I've noticed I'm having trouble sleeping or staying asleep. I wake up about every 2-3hrs [emoji20]
it's not pain related, as I'm pretty much healed now. I'm just very restless.
anyone else had the same thing?

My physician has put me on trazadone at night.

Sent from my LGL722DL using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, suzyq7519 said:

My physician has put me on trazadone at night.

Sent from my LGL722DL using BariatricPal mobile app

When I was in the active weight loss stage, I had so much energy I couldn't sleep. I got about 4 hours each night, and still felt like an energizer bunny all day. My thyroid tests were all normal, I attribute it to being in mild ketosis during such rapid weight loss. It was a very euphoric feeling. I was exercising like crazy and still had so much energy. That is all settled down, now that my weight is stabilized.