Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you feel about non surgical weightloss success stories?

I was watching Oprah this afternoon and I could not believe all the wonderful non surgeical success stories. What caught my eye were two people (a woman who lost over 500lbs-she started out at 720lbs and a man who was well over 400lbs and is now normal size) who were able to deal with their "food" demons and overcame them enough to start eating right and moving enough to lose the weight.

As inspiring as the stories were, I was a bit sad because I wondered what was wrong with me and why I opted to have surgery when there are people out there who are able to do this the "normal" and hardest and disciplined way.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I think the problem is that, it's a scary number statistic of people that lose weight, will gain it back. Something in the 90%.

I personally have lost a good amount of weight (still not a normal size though), and I gained it all back + more.

I think we all do that.

It's not just losing weight, we can all do a diet fad for just long enough.. it's maintaining. We have food issues..

I usually feel envious (if I am being honest.) I have now come to realize that the band is not a miracle cure either and takes hard work, exercise and determination. I think all efforts to be healty should be applauded equally.

In fact, never understood why Oprah dosent get the band???

I feel cynical. I think yeah, lets see you in five years time.

I have no doubt I could have lost weight, not as much as I have lost, but I could have gotten back to a healthier weight, I wasnt too far from it. Statistically, losing 20kg is possible and that would have had me much healthier. But I really think I would have just ended up fat again over the long run.

I feel cynical. I think yeah, lets see you in five years time.

Ditto. Statistically, the vast majority of obese people who lose weight through diet and exercise alone will not maintain their weight-loss. I think it's somewhere around 96%, actually, that will regain. I look at stuff like that (Oprah's show) as being similar to the fad diet products that you see advertised on TV. Yeah, there's a few people out there that had amazing success, but they are in the very extreme minority. Most people don't have that sort of success.

I totally agree with the above posts. Yeah, I have lost a lot of weight several times over by doing Weight Watchers, LA Weight Loss, etc....but about a year later, the weight would be right back where it was.

Just my opinion but the ones that lose a lot of weight and keep it off...are not the norm. You shouldn't feel sad that you had to do it a different way. Be happy that it's going to stay off. :D

As inspiring as the stories were, I was a bit sad because I wondered what was wrong with me and why I opted to have surgery when there are people out there who are able to do this the "normal" and hardest and disciplined way.

I refuse to feel bad about having WLS.

WLS is just another way to lose weight. It is no better, or worse than any other weight loss method (except the long term stats are far better)

I have to agree with the others. I have twice lost large amounts of weight only to regain with interest. I think it is great and insiring, but like the others, I would like to see them 3 or 5 years down the road.

Well kudos and props are given to them it is exactly it - lets reinterview them in 3-5 years and see where they are at.

My boyfriend lost a LOT of weight on his own. probably 200'ish lbs by working out like crazy, and not consuming very many calories. This was before I met him. He doesn't work out anymore (medical condition currently trying to figure out what it is - really bad / sore joints = cant work out) and well we don't eat the greatest so he has gained some weight back. Maybe 50 lbs but he's gained it back. We are both looking forward to losing weight with my band.

I lost 30 lbs right before we got together on a "fad diet" then it came back and brought another 30 lbs worth of friends :D.

I also know a couple people who have had gastric bypass 4-5+ years ago, and they have also gained weight back. . .

And just how many times has Oprah herself lost a bunch of weight, and gained it back? Pus, I don't have her personal trainers and dieticians working for me!

I have lost close to 70 lb a couple of time, and kept it off for two or three years, and eventually gained it all back and more. I know I can't maintain the weight loss, and that's why I got the band. I just pray that with its help I can keep the weight off this time. My life depends on it.

I commend anybody who finds a way to lose weight and keep it off. Whatever works. I have lost and regained so many times that I was convinced I couldn't keep the weight off unless I did something different this time. I say that although losing weight is really hard, keeping it off is even harder. I'm very hopeful that my band will make things different this time. I do wonder why Oprah seems so against WLS. I saw the show yesterday too and noticed that she kept making a big point about how all of the people on the show had lost their weight without surgery. She must not understand that even with WLS it takes a huge commitment and a lot of hard work to lose 100+ pounds.

Personaly I feel ashamed that I couldnt do it. But then I think well If I had the help and coching they had for the TV show I probably could of done it too. What about all the other people they had doing the program and only tose few were shown. show us the others.

I have never lost more then 30 lbs on any diet. and that fustrates me to no end. I am a bit scared that this is going to be another failure in my diet life. I hate thinking it. but what if it is true and this dosent work.

Cerrin - I think you can absolutely do it with the band to help you!! I have never lost more than 20 pounds at any diet. I'd be rich if I had all the money I have spent on this gimic, that fad, this workout, etc.

Good luck to you!!

wombat