Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 3/15/2020 at 2:11 AM, Arabesque said:

I dropped from an Aust size 18 to size 6. The smallest size I’d ever been in the past was a size 10 so I’ve well passed the point I can wear the smaller clothes I’d kept from that time too. I have noticed my body shape is different from when I’d lost weight previously. Always was very hour glass shaped but am now more up & down now. Could be because of my age & the impact of menopause but also because the last kgs I’ve lost have totally come off my hips, butt & breasts.

I donated bags & bags of clothing to St Vincent de Paul (keep finding more pieces to donate as I work through closets & cupboards) but did keep my high end clothes. Sold a few high end pieces to off set the cost of my new wardrobe. Also donated some of the high end to a fundraiser for fire relief here in Aust.

Fortunately I only went down a half size in shoes. I offered the few that are too big for me to some girl friends but they wear larger sizes so they’ll be going to some cousins.

I love giving to St. Vincent's..... I NEVER give to Goodwill anymore... I stopped buying there also. I prefer paying a little more at a consignments shop.
Last time i cleaned out my clothes.... i gave them to a fellow WLS patient..... Posted on the site that i had stuff to give away.... bam... gone

Loving this thread! I also have 6 different sizes of clothes - 11 years ago I weighed what I want to weigh long term, although it proved impossible to maintain. So I have been dragging out clothing in smaller sizes as I lose weight. I haven't given any away as yet but I really do need to now (closet space!) I will probably keep my biggest jeans for sentimental reasons but everything else will go to a charity shop. I've had to buy a couple of things there too and it just makes so much sense.

I have been donating/giving them away. Some of my stuff has gotten “repurposed” (cami that used to be tight and is now super loose? Throw a sports bra under that thing and it’s a workout tank now!)

I try to never throw the old clothes away. It is better to give them to someone you know or donate to organizations that need clothes for poor people. Also, you can cut them and make some new clothes or things from them. Or at least you can cut them into pieces and use them around the house as rugs. I did so with some of my old suits from https://www.gentlemansguru.com/. They were too loose for me after I lost weight. I just donated it to a local charity collecting clothes for different needs. For example, suppose nobody of their beneficiaries would take the clothes to wear themselves. In that case, the volunteer will cut them and make dolls or something else from them. I think it is a more proper use for an old piece of clothing rather than just being thrown away.

Edited by rrevenger

On 03/16/2020 at 13:42, BayougirlMrsS said:

I love giving to St. Vincent's..... I NEVER give to Goodwill anymore... I stopped buying there also. I prefer paying a little more at a consignments shop.

Last time i cleaned out my clothes.... i gave them to a fellow WLS patient..... Posted on the site that i had stuff to give away.... bam... gone

There’s a place to give stuff away to other WLS patients? I’d love this. As I go down in sizes, I don’t want to have to buy several new wardrobes or clothes I’ll only wear once so finding a place to “trade” clothing would be great. What is that place?

I kept all of my size 18-22 clothes (size 14 since December). Hasn’t been that long, but I don’t yet have confidence that I can maintain the weight loss. I feel I can continue the healthy habits I’ve adopted, but my body has seemed out of control for so many years that I don’t know that it will continue to “make nice” with my new habits. That I can control what I eat, my sleep, activity, etc., but not how my body will respond as far as weight.

I guess time will tell. But I did keep all my smaller clothes from around 2004 and was glad to wear the classic ones again!!

On 3/30/2022 at 8:03 AM, Cutenchubby said:

There’s a place to give stuff away to other WLS patients? I’d love this. As I go down in sizes, I don’t want to have to buy several new wardrobes or clothes I’ll only wear once so finding a place to “trade” clothing would be great. What is that place?

My SX office has a support group and fb page. I normally post there and someone always takes them

helpful tip: keep a box in your closet, and when something is too big.... throw in the box

Did you throw out your big clothes as motivation to never return to your pre-weight, or did you keep your old clothes 'in case' you regained your weight?
I am tempted to throw away my clothes as I (hopefully) lose weight post-procedure but I am worried I'll need them again in the future.
What are your thoughts?!

Donating it all. Seem of the new stuff I sell on Poshmark. I'll never ever need those clothes again

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

I will likely give away or sell them. DXL clothes is not cheap. I will keep a few as that motivates me. Whenever I place a before and after set of clothes side by side it drives me to keep going and keep the weight off. That’s just how I’m wired though. Good luck to all. Keep moving forward.

As it gets warmer, I’ve been dropping my winter clothes and coats into a bag and putting them into a donation bin. I’ve bought a few new items from target. Target is pretty affordable for casual clothes. My t shirts from last summer are loose, but I can still wear them.