Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone here NOT obsess of carbs?

Truly curious. My dietician and program is very moderate. It seems like a lot of people end up following something close to Keto after surgery though. Wondering if anyone else here isn’t focused on carbs?

My program is moderate about it. However, my Protein goal is 80g/day. Even at 6+ months out it’s nearly all I can do to get that in, so not a whole lot of room left for carbs.

I try not to. I definitely avoid them a lost of the time, but I give in periodically. I still eat pizza. But 1 piece instead of many. A "wrap" instead of a sandwich with yeasty bread.< br>
Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

my program was pretty balanced. They didn't really restrict carbs. I was mostly under 80 a day, though, when I was in weight loss mode (and never over 100). But that was more because I was so focused on taking in enough Protein - I didn't have a lot of room for carbs. Anyway, a lot of programs are ultra-low carb, but not all. Mine wasn't.

I never did - I put too much effort into developing decent dietary habits centered around a balance of high nutrition foods to toss that away in favor of the "flavor of the day" diet. People used to obsess over fat counts, and that did just as good as obsessing over carb counts. At the end of the day, you have to figure out what works best for you and go with it; otherwise, you just wind up chasing the diet of the day, What's next after Keto? Does anybody still do Zone, or South Beach?

I don't obsess about it, but I do try to keep to healthier foods just so I don't go down the "bad food" road again. My dietitian wanted me as close to ketosis as possible, but with my gallbladder out, it's *really* hard for me to do a true Keto style diet. I eat a lot of lean meats, cheese, and veggies, but I also eat healthy carbs (mostly because I need Fiber and fiber has carbs, boo).

It's just low carb tends to be an easy way to lose weight and not do the random sugar spikes that make you hungry again quickly. :)

My program said that once in maintenance mode complex carbs are ok. At 14 months out I still avoid bread, rice, and Pasta but I don’t count carbs. At first I avoided it because they told me it would be difficult to digest because it makes a Gummy ball in your stomach that could get stuck. That sounded unappetizing and painful so I didn’t touch it. Now I avoid it out of preference but I don’t think that will be forever.

I try to limit my carb intake but thats my weakness so if I'm super tired, like today, I eat too many carbs. I feel a lot better when I eat high Protein and low carb but I refuse to "diet". I am doing this for life so I just try to make good choices. I dont stress about having toast in the morning, but days like today I mindlessly snacked on cheese Its and I feel like crap for it. I feel better after going to the gym but I need to make different choices when my body is craving an energy burst. My nutritionist told me that eating things like rice if it's a small portion is absolutely fine and doesnt want her patients to have an unhealthy relationship to carbs.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:52 AM, AnnieD78 said:

Wondering if anyone else here isn’t focused on carbs?

I'm not and never was.

Potato Soup and mashed potatoes are staple foods during the liquid phase. Everything else can be eaten after 4 weeks. bread, pasta...

The program emphasizes getting the amount of Protein necessary depending on height of the patient, but they also warn about not eating enough eating vegetables and fruits because of e. g. Constipation.

Edited by summerset

I watch carbs but am not strict Keto and don't obsess over them. My program allows up to 70 g per day. However a lot of high carb foods cause pain and discomfort for me. I can't eat rice or Pasta or chips. My stomach will hurt from those and it's not worth it. I also limit bread because it feels uncomfortable in my stomach.

I can occasionally eat a slice of pizza and it's fine but a slice of bread is not.

Edited by starladustangel