Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slimband - Class Action Lawsuit 2020

Good Day All,

Long story short, I'd like to know if anyone has heard of a class action lawsuit that has been started? If you haven't but would like to be, I would like to start a petition of sorts so I can get a ballpark of numbers to give the lawyer. There is a good lawyer in London Ontario that I have contacted previously, but unless there are numbers, there's no point.

In Oct 2013 I had the band placed in a rush of fury by their lies and pressure tactics. After 6 months of not being able to drink Water without it coming back up, they finally agreed to remove it. Shortly after the removal I found out I was pregnant (not expected I could even get pregnant because of the malnutrition), but because I couldn't keep any nutrients down before and after removal, the baby never stood a chance. I had to have a emergency dilation of my esophagus twice and still can't have thick liquids without it coming up. I also just applied to have correct weight loss surgery, and was denied because they won't touch patients that have previously had a band. Now I've reached my limit and reading all of these other horror stories, something needs to be done.

Signing on the dotted line in this case is bullshit. The clinic was shut down it was so bad, so clearly these signatures should be null and void too.

I am not asking for extensive information, but if you would like to see how far this could go, please just leave your name and year Slimband screwed you over./

Much thanks, and power to us people ;)

Holly M - Waterloo Ontario

Lots of topics already out there on Slimband. I think consensus is they went bankrupt and no one is going to get much.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/search/?q=Slimband

Edited by Uomograsso

3 hours ago, HMKW said:

I also just applied to have correct weight loss surgery, and was denied because they won't touch patients that have previously had a band.

This makes no sense. If the band was a failure and was causing you problems, why would they deny a revision? Is that a Canadian healthcare thing? I had a slipped lap band removed and a revision to a gastric bypass, and Medicare paid for it without batting an eye!

Good luck to you with your endeavors!

My daughter and I both have bands by Slimband and would like to join in your lawsuit. We both have issues eating regular foods. I can only tolerate soft foods. Because of the vomiting, I have now a hernia which makes it even more difficult to eat. I have gained more weight then when I started 2012/2014

I would love to hear back from you regarding this matter..... THANK YOU!!!!

Hi,

I travelled to Toronto for my surgeries.

Had my first surgery Aug 2016 at the age of 46 with Dr. C???? on staff at the Toronto Slimband clinic. Did not have much success during that first year and followed the plan to the letter. Had to return a year later to have the procedure corrected because the port had been installed directly over a rib. Every time I would lay down or bend over at a certain angle it would rub against the rib bone (very painful). Dr. Yul did the corrective surgery himself. Just being brought into the operating room, he spoke to me and said to me very condescendingly that my weight problem was a psychological problem and that was why I wasn't achieving the promised success with my band. I was so shocked and hurt. They took my money, put this thing in me then tell me it isn't even what I needed. He was really heartless.

I've since been diagnosed with a food addiction and I've been under the care of a wonderful and caring Dr. in the Ottawa area as well as a great therapist. I'm doing the hard work. I've since lost a fair amount of weight (part of my treatment is to no longer weigh myself so I don't use numbers just the fit of my clothes) and for the past three years I've had peace in my mind that I had not know since I was a young girl of 12 or 13.

I just wish the Slimband Clinic had been up front with me and told me that the band wasn't for me and saved me the cost and pain multiple surgeries instead of lining their pockets with no regards to my wellbeing.

The silver lining is that I found my wonderful Dr. in Ottawa when I was searching for a physician who would help me with my band. (fills, etc.)

On 2/21/2020 at 2:58 PM, HMKW said:

Good Day All,

Long story short, I'd like to know if anyone has heard of a class action lawsuit that has been started? If you haven't but would like to be, I would like to start a petition of sorts so I can get a ballpark of numbers to give the lawyer. There is a good lawyer in London Ontario that I have contacted previously, but unless there are numbers, there's no point.

In Oct 2013 I had the band placed in a rush of fury by their lies and pressure tactics. After 6 months of not being able to drink Water without it coming back up, they finally agreed to remove it. Shortly after the removal I found out I was pregnant (not expected I could even get pregnant because of the malnutrition), but because I couldn't keep any nutrients down before and after removal, the baby never stood a chance. I had to have a emergency dilation of my esophagus twice and still can't have thick liquids without it coming up. I also just applied to have correct weight loss surgery, and was denied because they won't touch patients that have previously had a band. Now I've reached my limit and reading all of these other horror stories, something needs to be done.

Signing on the dotted line in this case is bullshit. The clinic was shut down it was so bad, so clearly these signatures should be null and void too.

I am not asking for extensive information, but if you would like to see how far this could go, please just leave your name and year Slimband screwed you over./

Pam Buggs

Banded 2013

Removed 2019

Band eroded into stomach causing extensive tearing and port became an infected abcess☹

Mike Manning kitchener. Lied to completely scammed by Slim band 2016. When I came to after surgery the nurse was pulling my pants up. She sat me up helping me with my shirt she then led my wife my daughter and myself out the back to. We had to walk around the building to the car. I was still groggy. I ve had nothing but grief ever since. After more then a year I manged to get a appointment with the surgeon to have it loosened he made all my issues do to my incompetence. "My over eating ect. " we were scammed into it with lies by actress we were not given any support much less remotely close to what was promised. I commonly spend sometimes close to a hour in the bathroom in pain trying to vomit up stuck food that just doesn't want to budge. I weigh more now then before it got banded. I have a bad back with 2 bad knees . One is bone on bone (thats my good one) The other has 2 bone fractures and a torn meniscus. I feel my over rated, over promised slim band is a huge part of that. I NEED it gone. They can also take 100 + pounds for pain and suffering

I had the lapband procedure done in 11/16/08. Prior to having the surgery, I spent months reviewing every doctor. When I met with the doctor, he told me there were minimal risks and he himself had the band done over 10 years before with no problems. Almost immediately after the surgery, I started having problems. Within a few short months, I began passing out anytime I would stand up. My husband took me back to my doctor and he said there was no way it's the band and sent me home. A few months went by and I became sicker and sicker. I went months and couldn’t even keep down Water. During an office visit with the surgeon, I passed out in his office. He still insisted it wasn’t the band. I complained multiple times about having very bad pain on my right side over the last few months. I was constantly told I must have the flu. He still proclaimed it wasn't the lapbands fault.

After a few months of me not getting better and having to crawl even to the bathroom in order to avoid passing out, my husband forced me to go to the ER. They admitted me with a blood pressure of 80/60. The ER doctor told my husband if he hadn't brought me in when he did I would’ve died with another 18-24 hours.

The only er doctor did a scan on my right side and said I needed emergency gall bladder surgery. I was told this was very common in patients with lapbands. I repeatedly told the ER doc that the lap band doctor kept saying there wasn't anything wrong with the band. I spent 10 days in the hospital just to get well enough for them to even do the gallbladder surgery. After the surgery, I started to get a little better for about a week or so.

My husband convinced me to go see another lap band doctor since I was still having really bad stomach pains. The new doctor admitted me to his hospital to do an endoscopy. I was told the lapband has eroded so severely into my stomach that he was not comfortable removing the band himself. He gave me a picture of the band visible from the inside of my stomach. We were told this was extremely rare for someone who only had it less than two years for it to be this badly eroded.

I feel my original doctor consistently defended the lapband to the point that he almost killed me. I now have a hole in my stomach and a separate hernia that was caused by him not wanting to admit the band was causing me so many health problems. I suffered during those 20 months so severely that I missed almost a full year of work. I think people should know this thing is not the way to go for weight loss surgery. It can kill you. I want people to know how bad these things are.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:58 PM, HMKW said:

Good Day All,

Hey Holly I had SLIMBAND done in Toronto 6 years ago and I’m now having it removed urgently at the end of January, I will sign whatever girl! Anything you need, those docs ruined my life

I would be really interested in following up on a lawsuit. My daughter and myself both have the band. Both of us have had nothing but problems with the outcome. It is so difficult to swallow and I now have a hernia on my esophagus. I am not in the greatest of health now, so am reluctant to have it removed.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:58 PM, HMKW said:

Good Day All,

I would be interested in joining the suit. Had the lapband done in 2012 and complications since. How do I join

I had the band done in 2012 and many complications since. I travelled to Toronto to have this down but live in Ottawa. I would love to join the class action and would like more information on it