Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here and Waiting on Surgery

Hello everyone! I am new here. I'm 40 years old, I've been married for almost 21 years, and I have three kids and one grandbaby. I also currently have custody of my niece. I've been on this journey towards surgery for quite some time. My insurance required six months worth of doctor's visits and then my surgeon required some tests before they would submit to my insurance. I got the call this week that my insurance has approved my surgery and it's officially scheduled for March 31st. I am a teacher so I wanted to get as close to our spring break as possible. That way I will be off the week of March 31st and then the entire next week as well. I've pretty much battled with my weight over my entire life. I've had periods where I've been thin, but I've always gained the weight back. I am at my highest weight right now, which is 323 pounds. I'm only 4'11". I'm very excited about the surgery, but also very anxious. I'm worried that I'm not fully prepared. I would love any tips you have to offer. Right now I have no pre-surgery instructions from my surgeon, but I go for a four hour appointment on March 19th so I'm sure I will get all of that then. In the meantime, I would love to hear some things from you guys, like what items did you buy before your surgery, what did you pack to take to the hospital with you, what seemed to help with managing the pain afterwards, etc. Anything you think I might need to know. How bad am I going to hate my life when I first get home???? LOL. My family is very supportive. My husband has just started a new job and doesn't have the days to take off with me, which stinks. My mother-in-law is taking off the entire week after I get home to help with my kiddos. The things I'm most scared about is over-drinking or over-eating and getting sick, knowing what to eat and drink, and just being prepared in general so I'm ready when I get home from the hospital. Anyway, that's my life story. LOL. Can't wait to hear what some of you have to say!

Best decision you will ever make = Start reading this site and just search by a topic. As for over eating the surgery is going to limit you - so as long as you head is in the game you will be fine - You will test the waters and get sick we all have tried to push it, but you quickly will learn what and how much you can handle.

Just remember this is a tool and you need to set the workshop up!

spend a lot of time on this and/or other bariatric sites to learn as much as you can. I hung out on these sites for a few months beforehand and felt really prepared when I finally went in for surgery.

as for what to take to the hospital, not much. You'll be in a hospital gown and those non-slip socks, and you'll be sleeping a lot of the time. Maybe just your phone and something to read. And wear baggy clothes - they'll be easier to get on and off and to go home in.

pain is all across the board. Some of us have none at all, some have a lot. But I've been hanging out on these boards for over five years, and I would say most of us have little to no pain with this surgery.

Ditto on above posters. My worst pain was right after surgery, but nurses did a great job getting it under control. I love dilaudid! I had IV pain meds first day, dilaudid again. After that some liquid hydrocodone and liquid tylenol. By day two I really didn't need any pain meds at all. Biggest thing for me was anti-nausea meds and levsin for stomach cramping. Those were my biggest problems. Be honest with all your doctors & nurses and they will work to keep you as comfortable as possible.

As far as over drinking, in the hospital the had me sipping Water out of one ounce cups. Four per hour. I kept up with that at home. After a while it becomes second nature. Star practicing now taking small sips and small bites. You might even pick up some baby spoons to use after surgery. That helps control bite size as well until you build up good habits. Good luck with your journey.

Am I reading this correctly— you’ve lost 123 lbs since your surgery on 1/16/20 and It’s only 2/23/20. I figure you meant you had the surgery in 2019. Anyway, a 123 pound loss is phenomenal. Congratulations!

Wow, we have a lot of similarities. My highest was 324 before I did phentermine 2 years ago, but I am quite a bit taller. I have my final pre-OP appt on March 19th too. Surgery the 26th because I'm a SPED Paraeducator. I wanted that specific day so I could take 2 days off before and after Spring Break too. So I get you on that. I have a 2 hour nutrition class on the 16th though, and an endoscopy tomorrow. Liquid (milk diet, yeuck) starts the 11th. After surgery is the 2-2-2 diet of full liquids, purees, soft foods for 2 weeks each.

I have a variety of Protein powders, flavored and unflavored, Protein Shakes, clear Premier Protein bottles, Bone Broth, drink powders, and small freezable/microwaveable cups/containers for purees to make for work after surgery. I use a food scale religiously and track food with myfitnesspal. I grabbed a few appetizer forks and spoons, and I already had saucers. I also had my nutribullet but got a few more shaker cups. Oh, the grocery store had some of the clear plastic 2 ounce containers with lids on clearance so I bought two 100 packs of those recently because I down 96 to 120 ounces of Water a day on top of my breakfast/lunch shakes and they're worried I will not be able to sip. So I was told to practice.

Food wise I always have eggs, chicken, bone broth, lentils, low sodium Beans, tofu noodles, frozen low carb veggies, cottage cheese, sugar free Jello and pudding, almond milk, etc... in the house but I also stocked 2 low sugar spaghetti sauces and cellulose free parmesan cheese and 2 of the low sodium cream Soups just in case I get desperate.

Honestly, I only buy food in small quantities so if my tastebuds change I won't be overstocked, and I know I won't need the super small freezables forever (dollar store was my friend). I've haunted the forums, watched before/after videos, watched/read Dr. V, got cookbooks, found website recipes, and had lots of time to slowly accumulate things and the right mindset. I am still nervous, so I think it's only natural for us. The unknown, right? But it will be great for your body in the long run, so just keep it positive!

Hello everyone! I am new here. I'm 40 years old, I've been married for almost 21 years, and I have three kids and one grandbaby. I also currently have custody of my niece. I've been on this journey towards surgery for quite some time. My insurance required six months worth of doctor's visits and then my surgeon required some tests before they would submit to my insurance. I got the call this week that my insurance has approved my surgery and it's officially scheduled for March 31st. I am a teacher so I wanted to get as close to our spring break as possible. That way I will be off the week of March 31st and then the entire next week as well. I've pretty much battled with my weight over my entire life. I've had periods where I've been thin, but I've always gained the weight back. I am at my highest weight right now, which is 323 pounds. I'm only 4'11". I'm very excited about the surgery, but also very anxious. I'm worried that I'm not fully prepared. I would love any tips you have to offer. Right now I have no pre-surgery instructions from my surgeon, but I go for a four hour appointment on March 19th so I'm sure I will get all of that then. In the meantime, I would love to hear some things from you guys, like what items did you buy before your surgery, what did you pack to take to the hospital with you, what seemed to help with managing the pain afterwards, etc. Anything you think I might need to know. How bad am I going to hate my life when I first get home???? LOL. My family is very supportive. My husband has just started a new job and doesn't have the days to take off with me, which stinks. My mother-in-law is taking off the entire week after I get home to help with my kiddos. The things I'm most scared about is over-drinking or over-eating and getting sick, knowing what to eat and drink, and just being prepared in general so I'm ready when I get home from the hospital. Anyway, that's my life story. LOL. Can't wait to hear what some of you have to say!

This is a life changing, I am also always think about gaining the weight back but hopefully I won't it all a mind thing , my husband is a big guy and he eats everything so I have to be mindful of myself and not follow him even tho it's hard, it will be 1yr this month and I lost 78lb
So yes the journey is all worthwhile
Good luck
I love this site lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app