Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I eat whole wheat bread

Good morning everyone I had surgery on 1/6/20 tomorrow is going to be a 1 month since my surgery, I am in my 5 week diet phase my question is can I eat whole wheat bread with turkey but what kind of cheese any suggestions. Please advise and thank you, also can I eat whole wheat with avocado.

I have a different viewpoint than most. This first 12-18months are the biggest chance you have to lose all your weight. You are only 4 weeks out from surgery. Your real estate in that new tool is TINY. Why WOULD you eat bread right now? I'd fill first with Protein, then if you have any room left, have a bite or two of veg. I would maximize the heck out this time frame.

But others have a different view on this. :)

I was told at 4 weeks, that combining protein with bread could be very binding and hard on my new tummy. Also I was told to limit cheese cuz of having poopin regularity issues...

1 hour ago, Raquel M. said:

Good morning everyone I had surgery on 1/6/20 tomorrow is going to be a 1 month since my surgery, I am in my 5 week diet phase my question is can I eat whole wheat bread with turkey but what kind of cheese any suggestions. Please advise and thank you, also can I eat whole wheat with avocado.

What does your dietitians plan say?

My nutritionist recommends toasting a slice and making open face sandwiches. as long as you are good to go on more solid foods avocado toast should be fine. She recommends toasting as it decreases the glycemic index.👍

1 hour ago, Raquel M. said:

If your plan includes it... Go for it (carefully) however

there are soooooo many alternatives that surely you can find something else if that doesn't work.

I saw these on Pinterest/Instagram and thought they were simply ingenious

Good Luck 💚

Lettuce-Wraps-Low-Carb-Keto1.jpg

Low-Carb-Keto-Wraps-Lettuce-Sandwich-Wraps-Recipe-Picture-Photo-1-of-1-3-466x700.jpg

keto-turkey-veg-roll-ups-4.jpg

turkeyrollups-683x1024.jpg

Just because you CAN doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD. I'm 14 months out and still can't eat bread. I tried eating fajitas today with the tortilla and my stomach doesn't tolerate soft doughy bread since surgery.

bread should be the last thing on your mind. I haven't even bought bread in nearly 6 months at most I'll have a low carb wrap with tuna :)

2 hours ago, GradyCat said:

Just because you CAN doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD. I'm 14 months out and still can't eat bread. I tried eating fajitas today with the tortilla and my stomach doesn't tolerate soft doughy bread since surgery.

Exactly. I didn't eat bread at all until maintenance, and then only because I was actually losing too much and wanted to gain back some weight. (I never dreamed a year ago that I would be writing those words!)

I agree with @FluffyChix. Remember your tiny tummy can only fit in a small amount of food. At this stage I could barely eat a quarter cup of food. The bread alone would fill you up & then you wouldn’t be able to eat your Protein which is essential. I would go easy on your tummy - you’re still only 5 weeks post surgery. Treat your new tool with care.

I was told not to even consider carbs like bread (or rice or pasta) until maintenance & then only multi grain crackers as a snack with hummus or avocado. Like @Superman84 I haven’t bought bread since I began my pre surgery diet last April & I threw out the loaves I had in my freezer months ago. I don’t even even eat wraps though I might try a lettuce wrap soon.

I am almost 3 years post-op and bread is still a very occasional treat. I know different doctors have different diet plans, but bread is mostly just carb calories so I don't waste my stomach space with it. I think Protein is usually the main focus 5 weeks out. I would try a lettuce wrap with the turkey.

Dissenting voice on this. I had a very varied diet during my weight loss stage. A turkey or ham sandwich was something I had from time to time.

Not like this is the worst option ever, or even qualifies as a poor choice IMO

image0.0.jpg

If and when anyone is ready for bread, I like Nature's Harvest Light. 80 calories for a 2 slices. I do open face and only use 1 slice. Here is the Nutrition info on 1 slice. It tastes good and gets the job done. Don't make it part of every meal. Personally a loaf lasts me quite some time as I have 2 maybe 3 slices throughout the week.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size slice 2 slices = 43g
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
0%
Total Fat 0.3g
0%
Cholesterol 0mg
4%
Sodium 85mg
11%
Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugars 0.5g
Protein 3g
2%Calcium 30mg
2%Iron 0.4mg
0%Vitamin A 0mcg
0%Vitamin C 0mg
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
5.5 Net Carbs Per Serving