Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea vomiting one year out

So I had the sleeve in Mexico 15 months ago. Needless to say no follow up and no maintenance. Kinda rogue in a way. Lost about 40 pounds. Not much admittedly. No one to guide me when I returned to rural Tennesee. Then About 4 months ago I moved to Tampa. Then strangely enough it started. Waking up in the wee hours of the morning with bile in my mouth. No matter how hard I tried it always ended up in agonizing retching for a period of time. Stomach being empty only bile comes up. And obviously severe gerd for the rest of the day. Walking around with a bile taste in my mouth. No abdominal pain to support a gallbladder problem. Never been to an American surgeon knowing they would roll their eyes at my surgery in Mexico. I. Priced it happens more if somehow I am too cold in my sleep. Never had this in Tennessee however. Wondered if it was the high ammonia levels in Tampa Water. Any thoughts?

Edited by roselover50

This is gerd and is quite common with the sleeve. I too would wake up with acid flowing from my nose and mouth. It was horrible. Best option is to revise to a bypass.
you need to see a surgeon. They may put you on a ppi but those are not safe long term. Gerd can lead to much worse things like cancer. Please see a Dr ASAP.

I had the same issue with GERD. I think a trip to your regular DR for some kind of medication! Good Luck!

I agree that you need to see a doctor. In the meantime, you might try sleeping on a wedge to elevate your head. That can ease the symptoms. Also, don't drink within an hour or two of bedtime.

5 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I agree that you need to see a doctor. In the meantime, you might try sleeping on a wedge to elevate your head. That can ease the symptoms. Also, don't drink within an hour or two of bedtime.

Thank you all. I slept in a recliner for the first time. I am thinking about how for the whole year I had no problem and it all started after the move. What’s been different is with my new job came a lot of coffee and altered eating habits. Lots of orientation and lots of meetings and food ordered. I will start there. I will start with a cleanse. Reset like some of your other posts suggest. And I will keep you posted.

6 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

18 minutes ago, Lynda486 said:

I had the same issue with GERD. I think a trip to your regular DR for some kind of medication! Good Luck!

Thank you losingit2018. I am already on a PPI and it is not really helping. I use it a few times a week to be conservative. I am terrified of an open surgery. Opted for the sleeve because it was laparoscopic with minimal scarring. Thank you for your input.

If you’re not taking your PPI every day, it cannot be effective. If you’re only taking it a few times per week, that’s not necessarily being conservative - you’re not giving it a chance to work properly.

1 hour ago, roselover50 said:

with my new job came a lot of coffee and altered eating habits. Lots of orientation and lots of meetings and food ordered. I will start there.

coffee can definitely set off reflux. They do have low acid coffees, though... Also, spicy food and acidic foods (like citrus fruits and tomatoes...) - those can set it off as well.

You might have developed a hiatal hernia which causes GERD. I had one repaired when I had my sleeve and no more GERD. Did they do an endoscopy before your surgery? It could've been there all along and now is just worse.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, Zoomzoom said:

You might have developed a hiatal hernia which causes GERD. I had one repaired when I had my sleeve and no more GERD. Did they do an endoscopy before your surgery? It could've been there all along and now is just worse.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes they did. I had none. The surgery was very successful. I recovered fast without any issues. I will start with dietary modifications. And see a physician. You are right.

I was not aware that a revision from sleeve to bypass was open and not laproscopic.

7 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

I was not aware that a revision from sleeve to bypass was open and not laproscopic.

Mine was laparoscopic

Put bricks under the base at the top of your bed (1 layer). I did this for years & it was very helpful. My doctor also told me no high pillows as your neck bends allowing the acid to pool in your upper chest & throat & you get burning & ulcerations.

@catwoman7 is right. Avoid coffee, spicy foods, rich creamy & cheesy foods & gassy drinks.

But definitely go see your doctor about the reflux. Also ask for a recommendation for a dietician & get a blood test to check your Vitamin levels, cholesterol, sugar, liver function, etc. Regular blood tests are essential post weight loss surgery.

Good luck.

On 01/25/2020 at 10:23, RSMKEM said:

If you’re not taking your PPI every day, it cannot be effective. If you’re only taking it a few times per week, that’s not necessarily being conservative - you’re not giving it a chance to work properly.

Rny isn’t open surgery... mine was done with two very small incisions about an inch long— that’s it!!