Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did any of you keep your surgery a secret? I have! Please give input!

30 minutes ago, Freedom&Bliss said:

Haha I get that for sure - the one friend I told, I told her because she also had the sleeve a year ago and I completely trust her, so I am not afraid of that, but it's so true! She's been a great source of support and me asking questions and whatnot - she made her surgery public to everyone, but I agree it's definitely a personal choice! 🙂

I did the same thing when i had the band sx in 2009. I my wonderful friend Paula had had Band sx and she was a great confidant and support system. At first the only people that knew were my now x husband, kids, a few close friends and one or two co workers..... Well that didn't last long.... It, of course, got out about the Band... so then i just told everyone that asked. I hated getting the looks and the OHHHHH.

This time.... it has been wonderful not getting the "looks or the OHHH".

I only told my husband. It's nobody else's business.

I'm waiting on my prior authorization, but I have chosen to keep it to my wife only (so far). on the other side a have two co-workers that I'd swear get $$ for referring people to the surgeon since they talk about it so much/openly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I've chosen to keep it only between my husband, my surgical team, God, and myself. That being said, who has the biggest mouth and told someone else? My husband! He swears that said other person will never tell, but really?! I asked him to keep it just between us and sx hasn't even happened yet. The running joke of the family is telephone, telegraph, and tell a member of my husband's family. Didn't realize it included him too! Silly me!!

I still choose to keep it to myself. As others have said, it is my health, and no one else's business.

Of course, telling everyone everything gives my husband a lot more friends than me. I don't tell, and people think I'm standoffish or snobby or something. I have many acquaintances but very very few friends. I tell you, sometimes you just can't win. LOL!

My plan is to tell people I'm having a medical procedure done when I go out, and when I come back in 8 weeks I'll tell them I've been recovering and am now following a medically prescribed diet with exercise and that I've never felt better!

Not so sure what I'm going to do about going home after surgery. I live like an hour away from my hospital, so an Uber or Lyft is pretty much out of my price range and my husband can't drive. So, we'll see. I may have to scrimp together some pennies for the next month or two for that Uber ride.

So this has been my long-winded way of saying do what you feel is natural for yourself and your health.

1 hour ago, Machalo said:

I've chosen to keep it only between my husband, my surgical team, God, and myself. That being said, who has the biggest mouth and told someone else? My husband! He swears that said other person will never tell, but really?! I asked him to keep it just between us and sx hasn't even happened yet. The running joke of the family is telephone, telegraph, and tell a member of my husband's family. Didn't realize it included him too! Silly me!!

I still choose to keep it to myself. As others have said, it is my health, and no one else's business.

Of course, telling everyone everything gives my husband a lot more friends than me. I don't tell, and people think I'm standoffish or snobby or something. I have many acquaintances but very very few friends. I tell you, sometimes you just can't win. LOL!

My plan is to tell people I'm having a medical procedure done when I go out, and when I come back in 8 weeks I'll tell them I've been recovering and am now following a medically prescribed diet with exercise and that I've never felt better!

Not so sure what I'm going to do about going home after surgery. I live like an hour away from my hospital, so an Uber or Lyft is pretty much out of my price range and my husband can't drive. So, we'll see. I may have to scrimp together some pennies for the next month or two for that Uber ride.

So this has been my long-winded way of saying do what you feel is natural for yourself and your health.

well if i lived closer.... i'd be your uber....

it would be free too

I tried to keep it a secret, but when filling out paperwork for FMLA I had to get my boss to sign. She saw what type of surgery I was having and told her admin team. I’m not so sure they haven’t told others. I also told my work BFFs... but I trust them and know they haven’t told.

IDK- when I get back from FMLA on 2/10, I will prob start to blab. I just know I can’t NOT talk about it. It’s such a huge part of me right now that I don’t really care what people think.

1# she the Boss violated HIPAA rules and regulations. You can actually sue your company you work for for this.

1 hour ago, ninalopez1015@yahoo.com said:

1# she the Boss violated HIPAA rules and regulations. You can actually sue your company you work for for this.

While that is certainly true, I am a teacher and education runs on politics. If I were to sue my principal for telling my AP, I would never get another job.

Im in it for the long game. Don’t worry, this will come up- I just have to play my cards right. Politics, it sucks.

technically, HIPAA doesn't apply to employers. but it would certainly be violating several employee privacy acts and company policies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I guess I can understand why some would not want to broadcast the fact that they've undergone a bariatric procedure, but I haven't kept mine a secret. Anyone who knows me knows that I've struggled with weight. For me, I don't see the harm in folks knowing that I'm working to get it under control. I haven't encountered any negativity - Mostly just friends and coworkers offering words of encouragement!

So I checked and your part of VA is not so close to DC. I viewed my WLS as not a secret which is fundamentally entwined with shame but private. Simply put not everything is public knowledge it’s OK for some things to be private. When we say secret we often are mixing an emotional sense of shame with what ever we do not want as public. Best to you.