Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Doctor - Keto plan

Due to a weird set of circumstances I have moved back to my home city (Brisbane, Australia) and am about to start a new job on Monday. As a result my Sleeve surgery is currently on hold until such time as I build up some personal leave from this new company to be able to take 2 weeks off to recover from the surgery. I also have a big final professional exam coming up in the middle of the year so really need to focus on that as well... so no WLS for me until July earliest.

In the mean time I am going to go on the Diet Doctor program, I did the 2 week challenge a year or so ago and did lose about 5 kg in the 2 weeks.. that's about 11 pounds, Hubster also likes the food and lifestyle and it works for him as well (he also needs to lose about 30kg/66 pounds) For both of us the biggest issue we have is alcohol (Aussies drink like fish haha) so that needs to be curtailed and we both do really well on Keto or very low carb finding hunger is really not an issue after the first few days and keeping to it is pretty simple as you make 2 x every dinner the other half of which becomes lunch the next day, I also really like this kind of food myself.

The program is here if anyone is interested... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/get-started

As I am interstate on induction and training next week we are actually going to start it on the 12 (program starts on a Sunday).

Has anyone else been on this program and had success with it? Anyone want to join in starting 12th Jan?

The Keto diet is very high in fat, and that can be a problem for WLS patients. The poor old liver is already stressed from processing all the body fat breakdown, and adding even more fat can be rough. Fat malabsorption is also a very real issue for some people after surgery and having a lot of extra dietary fat running through the system can have it's own set of issues. I'm not trying to discourage you, but be prepared that your body is going to be in a completely different mode after surgery, and you may not tolerate a lot of fat. Because of the rapid weight loss and caloric restriction, you will automatically be producing lots of ketones. Some folks even end up needing their gall bladders removed after WLS, and I have to wonder if this is related to the poor liver simply not being able to handle the rapid fat breakdown.

4 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

The Keto diet is very high in fat, and that can be a problem for WLS patients. The poor old liver is already stressed from processing all the body fat breakdown, and adding even more fat can be rough. Fat malabsorption is also a very real issue for some people after surgery and having a lot of extra dietary fat running through the system can have it's own set of issues. I'm not trying to discourage you, but be prepared that your body is going to be in a completely different mode after surgery, and you may not tolerate a lot of fat. Because of the rapid weight loss and caloric restriction, you will automatically be producing lots of ketones. Some folks even end up needing their gall bladders removed after WLS, and I have to wonder if this is related to the poor liver simply not being able to handle the rapid fat breakdown.

Hmmm interesting, I think it's good information and I thank you for it, we are not super keen on the high fat aspect more the low carb (works very well for both of us) and when we have done low carb in the past we haven't been adding all the butters, oil and fat etc.

Will probably do a modified version anyway moderate fat, higher in green or low carb veg, moderate Protein.

I don't intent to do Diet doctor after surgery, will stick with my surgeon's plan.

Thanks for your feedback :)

25 minutes ago, DaisyChainOz said:

Hmmm interesting, I think it's good information and I thank you for it, we are not super keen on the high fat aspect more the low carb (works very well for both of us) and when we have done low carb in the past we haven't been adding all the butters, oil and fat etc.

Will probably do a modified version anyway moderate fat, higher in green or low carb veg, moderate Protein.

I don't intent to do Diet doctor after surgery, will stick with my surgeon's plan.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Your post op diet will focus on fluids and Protein. Then low carb veggies, then fruit and more starchy veggies. Finally some grain based carbs, which are best left until maintenance. I guess you could say it is a high protein, low carb paln, but not the enormously high fat of the strict Keto diet. You will definitely be burning fat, but it will be your own! :)

Lol re aussies drink a lot. Understatement there @DaisyChainOz. It can be odd to be still nursing my first G&T while my girlfriends are on their 3rd bottle of bubbles.

I was put on Keto by my dietician for three weeks pre my surgery & was successful too. (Yes, it’s easy to do & fits in well with family & lifestyle.) Now, I can tolerate very little fat in my diet. (Cheese is ok & marbled steak but had a thin sliver of lardo on king prawns the other night. Tried one piece & threw it up an hour later - all slimy yuckiness).

Strangely, my cholesterol levels immediately pre surgery were in the middle of healthy range as it always has been. But it has been going up over the last 4 months when I eat far, far less fat than I’ve ever done.

I believe there is talk around now that you should only follow a keto diet for short periods of time - a couple of months at a time only. A modified version may be different. Talk to your doctor about this.

I know you haven’t got a surgeon yet because of your move & the delay to when you can do the surgery but maybe you could start the process. The surgeon I went to refers patients to either a dietician or the Wesley weight loss clinic (all shakes). Ask for the dietician. I believe the Wesley program can get very expensive.

3 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Lol re aussies drink a lot. Understatement there @DaisyChainOz. It can be odd to be still nursing my first G&T while my girlfriends are on their 3rd bottle of bubbles.

I was put on Keto by my dietician for three weeks pre my surgery & was successful too. (Yes, it’s easy to do & fits in well with family & lifestyle.) Now, I can tolerate very little fat in my diet. (Cheese is ok & marbled steak but had a thin sliver of lardo on king prawns the other night. Tried one piece & threw it up an hour later - all slimy yuckiness).

Strangely, my cholesterol levels immediately pre surgery were in the middle of healthy range as it always has been. But it has been going up over the last 4 months when I eat far, far less fat than I’ve ever done.

I believe there is talk around now that you should only follow a Keto diet for short periods of time - a couple of months at a time only. A modified version may be different. Talk to your doctor about this.

I know you haven’t got a surgeon yet because of your move & the delay to when you can do the surgery but maybe you could start the process. The surgeon I went to refers patients to either a dietician or the Wesley weight loss clinic (all shakes). Ask for the dietician. I believe the Wesley program can get very expensive.

Hahaha... so true! I think I might be like your girlfriends :blush:

I have previously done Paleo, Keto, generic low carb, and basically I prefer a lower fat model myself, so it's interesting what you say about not being able to eat a lot of fat after WLS, I don't think that would be a huge issue for me, bring it on baby haha. tbh... not sure I would have been able to eat lardo even now... I like my pork belly lean and always cut around the fatty bits lol Hubster not so much he loves pork fat.

My bestie has suggested a surgeon who did her lap band about 8 years ago (since removed but was sucessful she lost 50+kg) who is at Greenslopes, I did contact the clinic of your surgeon, still waiting to hear back but they might be on hols... will find out info from both and go with whomever I feel most comfortable with if I do go with someone in Bris. Still debating if I should not just go with the Sydney guy who is very good/empathetic... just the Follow up situation.

Frustrating that I have to delay the surgery tbh... but I really can't hit new company with "oh btw..." at this stage and they have given me a lot of other things to come on board.

As stated already, Keto is very high in fat. The problem there is that fat has 9 calories per gram where carbs and Protein have 4 calories per gram. Eat 50 grams of something that's protein and it's only 200 calories - the same amount of mostly fat foods? 450 calories! HUGE difference!!

Good reason to keep going back to Sydney though. There’s also follow up with your dietician too.
So important to find a surgeon you click with so good idea to ‘try before you buy’. 😜
I have an appointment with my surgeon’s support team next Friday so the office must be opening again.

15 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Good reason to keep going back to Sydney though. There’s also follow up with your dietician too.
So important to find a surgeon you click with so good idea to ‘try before you buy’. 😜
I have an appointment with my surgeon’s support team next Friday so the office must be opening again.

Hahah... that's a good point! I have family there still and it might be a good excuse to pop down regularily. :D Not that I want some of them to know... too judgemental! :rolleyes:

Start my new job on Monday in Sydney, so going to not think about any of this for a bit. Feeling very fat atm after the holidays... can't wait to be able to do the WLS mid year, will see how things go and it might be possible to do it earlier (surgeon only needs a few weeks/month notice usually apparently after payment)

Meantime will try to knock the drinking on the head and get into some good routines that will set me up well, like not drinking for 30 mins before during or after eating... kill off my major coffee addiction etc, there is a lot of work to do, and someone here said (sorry can't remember who or where I read it on here) that you can't be recovering and detoxing at the same time, I have totally taken that on board and will try to reduce the addiction element of my drinking/coffee/eating as much as possible.

I hear you. I only told my mother & one brother & his wife. My other brother & his wife can be judgemental too. They’ve never had issues with weight so I knew they wouldn’t understand.

That sounds like good advice re the not recovering & detoxing at the same time. And you have the time now to work through this. Apparently it takes about 6 weeks on a new diet to break your old addictions - sugar, coffee, etc. - and to accept your new way of eating.

Good luck with the new job. 😁

21 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I hear you. I only told my mother & one brother & his wife. My other brother & his wife can be judgemental too. They’ve never had issues with weight so I knew they wouldn’t understand.

That sounds like good advice re the not recovering & detoxing at the same time. And you have the time now to work through this. Apparently it takes about 6 weeks on a new diet to break your old addictions - sugar, coffee, etc. - and to accept your new way of eating.

Good luck with the new job. 😁

Yeah I am not telling any of my siblings, did bring it up with my parents, Dad supportive Mum worried of course - thinks I can do it without... lol like that's worked so well to date!!! Brothers and wives all very judgemental and never had serious weight issues in their lives, one SIL weighs 45kg!!!!

Only my husband and bestie and parents will know, not telling anyone else.

Thanks re job! I am a bit nervous but looking forward to a new challenge :D

Just an update, been doing the diet doctor plan (more or less, somethings I don't like) combined with 16/8 Intermittent fasting (don't eat Breakfast and have lunch around 12.30 - 1 or later some days.

Still drinking a lot of wine (new job very stressful!!) which is something I am going to have to address, it's hard as both hubby and I love drinking and chatting after work.

Going quite well with it, I find low carb doesn't make me cravey or hungry so it usually works. Have lost 3.9kg which is approx 8.6lbs (probably mostly Water weight I know, but I'll take it!)

For lunch today (day off) I didn't follow the plan, just had a home made sushi bowl with hot smoked salmon and cauli rice... should have gotten an after photo as I didn't eat it all.

lowcarbsushibowl.thumb.jpg.3154f1cf2c2c338c8791a761bbb7d772.jpg

Tonight is meant to be pizza omlette, but we don't want that, so we are going to have chicken skillet with mushrooms... sounds really good, I might post a photo if I remember lol

Hey @DaisyChainOz I’ve been wondering how you’ve been going. Glad you’re having success on the diet doctor program. Your poke bowl looks yummy.

Sorry the new job’s been stressful. Hope it settles soon.

Have to admit I do miss that glass of wine in the evening. Sitting back, relaxing & letting the day disappear. Then sipping on a top up as I’m cooking dinner. Sigh.

Hey @Arabesque

Thanks for stopping by my thread!

Yeah it's going well so far, but this weekend is going to be pretty big with a few events to go to over the long weekend... will try to behave, but will probs put some of the weight back on.. >.<

I wish I would have one or two glasses of wine at night after work haha.. if so it wouldn't be a problem lol

That’s three stressful things you’re dealing with in your life: new job, new way of eating and giving up alcohol. Yikes.

Parties are hard with everyone eating & drinking around you ... esp here on Aust Day. 🤣

If you manage this, life post weight loss surgery will be a breeze.

Have fun!