Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: NHS or Private

Did you have your band on the NHS or Privately?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have your band on the NHS or Privately?

• NHS
    • Private

Hi,

By reading some of the threads on this forum, I guess that the majority of posters had their bands by going private and paying themselves, instead of using the NHS. Is that really the case?

Please vote and let's get an idea of the mix.

Kind regards,

Steve

So it seems only 20% get their band via the NHS. Why is that - too long a waiting time, unsympathetic GPs, too many hurdles to jump? After all, going private isn't cheap.

Steve

Hi I payed for my band but Ithink if i had'nt i would be better off now. I got mrsa. And my nhs hospitol has an amazing high standard re mrsa.

I ended up there. But the nhs would not give me the time of day at time so hence self funding. But they have seen the light.

Mrs D

Hi,

I had my band done on the NHS and could not find any fault what soever, everything they said would happen, happened, great after care service, back at work 1 week later that was 2 yrs ago and I am 5 stone lighter. NHS or Private act now. Good luck.

The Consultant I saw about having my gall bladder removed sent me to a BUPA hospital to have a band fitted when I had my gb removed. All done on the NHS.

Hi

I was told i had to wait about 3 years and then it would be only a maybe the NHS would do so i paid 6k and had it done only for my doc to leave the uk and now the NSH look after my band for me :)!!! i have to drive to london from harlow which is not to bad, better then the £320 for a fill i was paying!!

I have been told that essex (well Harlow) DO NOT do them on the NSH,

thanks

Cherie x

Hi

I have been told that essex (well Harlow) DO NOT do them on the NSH,

thanks

Cherie x

Have you asked the PCT? If you have, then complain to your MP, write to the PCT, your GP, the Department of Health, the Press and anyone else you can think of. I'm very lucky in that my GP and local PCT backed me all the way. I'm really sick to death of this postcode lottery business, even though I've benefited from it. It's not fair at all.

Hi steve, it was the n.i.c.e that told me my gp did try for me, this postcode lottery makes me sick we need IVF but can't get it here but if we move 3 miles we will!!

Thanks

Cherie

Hi Jennie,

I went with ELYZEA clinic, had consultation in Manchester, surgeons name is Dr. Mignon. Losing weight slowly but surely, Im now 10st 10lb !

The clinic has a website too, have a look.

Happy new year,

Donna x.

hi, i had my band done on nhs but i chose a private hospital to go and have it done at, and i must say what a wonderful place it has been, i also get a years after care there as well. i went for my 1st consultation 5th november and got a yes from the pct 18th january and the surgeon [yes surgeon] phoned and asked when i wanted it done and i chose 18th feb 08 as i was off from work then, and i must say its the best thing i have ever done, since pre op ive lost 2 stone 2lb so far:thumbup:

My GP helped as much as she could with my weight problem,I had been on all the usual diet pills etc,she tried to refer me for NHS banding,with no luck.I didnt have enough weight related problems to be considered even though my BMI was 46. She said she would keep refering me to different health authorities,but I told her I would rather just go ahead and self pay...at least I would get the help I needed faster! And,money talks doesnt it.. 2 weeks later I had my band fitted!! My GP has been wonderful,she supported me 110% and if it had been down to her I would have got helped by the NHS.I was lucky,I had sold my house and moved in with parents,so I had enough money put by to afford banding.

I had mine done privately because I am old and I did not want to wait forever for the NHS to decide whether they would or they would not. I only had about a fortnight between first contact and the op.