Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: NHS or Private

Did you have your band on the NHS or Privately?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have your band on the NHS or Privately?

• NHS
    • Private

I think it is a shame that more patients do not go down the route of NHS care. The NHS criteria broadly follow NICE criteria and GPs are in a position to refer to their agreed unit. It will then include all follow up and care required from the multidisciplinary team which is really important. I think lots of people think the NHS service is not available or will take too long.

Hi, I went to Belgium for mine, Half the price, clean hospital, the best 4 grand I have ever spent !

Donna x.

Im having mine done in belguim on the 7th May, I was apprehensive about all the lurgies in the UK hospitals - Did you have your done by Dr Foquet? Holding thumbs that mine goes well!!

Im having mine done in belguim on the 7th May, I was apprehensive about all the lurgies in the UK hospitals - Did you have your done by Dr Foquet? Holding thumbs that mine goes well!!

God, posts like this make me angry!

Yep, our news and comic newspapers are just full of dirty filthy hospitals aren't they? God knows how anyone gets better in them. I've been told that the NHS saves lives, but hey, why believe that? You don't think that Belgian hospitals have their lurgies too? Let's hope you can spell the place before you travel. Don't forget to believe everything you're told.

Good luck.

Edited by Maincat

I had the best possible treatment on the NHS in a very clean hospital at the Abbey Sefton in Liverpool. My moan is the lack of follow up treatment.

Maincat, never realised this thread was a personal attack on ones spelling - everybody has the right to have a choice and an opinion!!! Thought discussions were there for encouragement. I think personal experiences may play a factor in the choice of UK hospitals but then you judged before you took the time to find out!!!

Maincat, never realised this thread was a personal attack on ones spelling - everybody has the right to have a choice and an opinion!!! Thought discussions were there for encouragement. I think personal experiences may play a factor in the choice of UK hospitals but then you judged before you took the time to find out!!!

Time to find out what exactly? Why didn't you give a fuller explanation in your post? You painted a picture that UK hospitals are to be avoided. You didn't give an explanation, just a banal statement about 'lurgies'. Yes this is a forum that aims to support, but don't expect crass statements to be unchallenged.

I don't wish to get involved in a conversation with someone who has such anal views and I don't wish to discuss my private life with you either, Maincat - I do not wish to be part of this thread anymore.

I think the original post was to determine how many people self-paid for banding vs NHS funding. Im sure majority of people would be happy with having band done in an NHS hospital in the UK,if the NHS funded it. If you have to pay for op yourself,(which I did) I definately would want to have a say in the hospital I was paying for.

Im sure Sanks51 did not have the NHS funding(I may be wrong?) and therefore made an individual choice to pay to have band fitted in which hospital they were happy with,in the UK or not.

We have all heard reports of 'lurgies' and 'superbugs', MRSA etc and it is worrying. click link-NHS hospitals likely to miss hospital deep clean deadline

I personally was happy in my BUPA uk hospital, (£8,000 self paid) to have my op. If I had chosen to go out of the UK,it would have been my choice.

Even I found the way maincat chose to reply quite offensive, turning it into a personal attack,trying to make someone feel inferior because they made a simple spelling mistake! Crass-or class? There are ways of putting your point across without being offensive.We are all on this forum to learn from others experiences and choices.

Edited by xxlaneyxx

I don't wish to get involved in a conversation with someone who has such anal views and I don't wish to discuss my private life with you either, Maincat - I do not wish to be part of this thread anymore.

Believe me, I'm really not interested in your private life - did I say I was?

As for anal views (which were they BTW?), your 'lurgies' statement is offensive to all those people in the NHS who are working like crazy to ensure that people have a comfortable, safe and good experience.

I happen to agree with Sanks - I know of so many people who have contracted MRSA in UK hospitals. I have no choice other than to go down the NHS route as there is no way I can afford to pay for private surgery. The NHS hospital I am under is filthy. Its incredible to think that so many hospitals are in this disgusting condition. I believe its because there are no matrons any more to keep control of what goes on in their wards. Too many chiefs and not enough indians in my opinion! When I go in for my surgery I have been advised by former patients to disinfect everything with special anti-bac wipes. I know that not all of our NHS hospitals are in this awful state, but there are plenty which are.

I know that not all of our NHS hospitals are in this awful state, but there are plenty which are.

Them name them. Which hospitals? Go on, name just one. You won't though. How do you know? Hearsay, rumour or recorded fact?

quote maincat ''How do you know? Hearsay, rumour or recorded fact?''

The NHS hospital I am under is filthy.

If you took time to read post correctly, Rubinesque is stating from personal experience ! :)

Them name them. Which hospitals? Go on, name just one. You won't though. How do you know? Hearsay, rumour or recorded fact?

I must say Maincat that the tone of your reply is somewhat aggressive.

I am speaking from personal experience - my mother went in to hospital last year for a cancer op and contracted MRSA. My uncle has caught it twice from having surgery and that was at a different hosptial to my mother. I know of 2 very close friends who have caught it and another 2 at my obestiy support group who have caught MRSA whilst undergoing RNY ops.

Maybe now you can see why I am afraid of catching something similar from my local hospital which from my own personal experience is utterly filthy. I am in the process of writing to my local MP about this and think others should follow.

I think it is very narrow minded of you to think that all of our NHS hospitals are sparkling clean!! In my opinion they should be the cleanest and most pristine places but unfortunately this is not the case.

I must say Maincat that the tone of your reply is somewhat aggressive.

You think that's aggressive - just asking you do name a hospital after your broad sweeping statement?

I think it is very narrow minded of you to think that all of our NHS hospitals are sparkling clean!!

Where did I say that? Are you a mindreader now? (I said that with a smile on my face in a non-aggressive posture).

I have no patience with people who slam the NHS without recognising the efforts being made, and then thinking anywhere else is any better.

quote maincat ''How do you know? Hearsay, rumour or recorded fact?''

If you took time to read post correctly, Rubinesque is stating from personal experience ! :tt2:

I think you ought to read the posts properly. I asked R. to name a hospital on the back of another statement.:thumbup: