Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on picking goal weight

Update on my goal weight and current weight. Saw my bariatric team this week and I am not underweight! They told me to tell psychiatrist not to worry. 8 pounds from their goal for me, and more like 15 pounds from my goal. Which they did not disagree with. I was 148 on doctor's scale, fully clothed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Getting close.

Yeah my for my dietitian I'm about 8lbs away too.

I'm more like 20lbs away for me to personally be happy 😀

9 minutes ago, Briswife15 said:

Update on my goal weight and current weight. Saw my bariatric team this week and I am not underweight!

I doubt your psychiatrist really thinks you're underweight. Maybe she's looking at the whole story from a different kind of view.

There is more to "picking a goal weight" than contemplating how you'll look and/or feel physically at this weight. It's also a question of what it takes to get there and stay there.

Fix "goal weights" and sometimes also "weight loss rates" become fixed ideas all too often, putting unnecessary pressure on patients. Ranges from/to put much less pressure on people. There are too many patients who're unhappy and think they're "failures" because they didn't make it to some arbitrarily picked goal weight. (Like patients who made it from e. g. BMI 50 to BMI 27 would be considered "a failure" by anybody but themselves...)

In the end "picking a goal weight" is different from picking the best looking apple out of a pile at the grocery store. Of course people have to decide for themselves what they're willing to sacrifice for an additional few lbs of weight loss and of course there will always be patients who don't have to sacrifice as much as others.

The principle of "best weight" by Yoni Freedhoff is an interesting one. However, I can understand why it might not be a very popular one, especially not in the WLS community.

Take care.

Jeez didn't need a novel^^^

A goal weight simply gives you something to work towards ; a "goal" nothing more nothing less.

1 hour ago, Superman84 said:

Jeez didn't need a novel^^^

A goal weight simply gives you something to work towards ; a "goal" nothing more nothing less.

Kinda the point of a forum, everyone offering their opinions. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean it's not valid.

4 hours ago, Briswife15 said:

Update on my goal weight and current weight. Saw my bariatric team this week and I am not underweight! They told me to tell psychiatrist not to worry. 8 pounds from their goal for me, and more like 15 pounds from my goal. Which they did not disagree with. I was 148 on doctor's scale, fully clothed.

Congratulations on positive validation 💚

Stay safe and healthy on your Journey ❤

@Briswife15 I'm so happy for you! I think part of this journey is learning about building skills and new relationships, not only with the outside world, but with ourselves! And part of that is building trust. So I do think it's helpful to get affirmation from professionals as part of building your inner compass. And I don't think it's helpful when your team tries to dissuade you and give an excuse for stopping before you are in a healthy weight range. But that's just my opinion. That happened to me and it was a total mind-f**k.

And now they both (doc and RD) admit they were wrong and that I look really good at this weight. I think that will end up happening with your psych, too. But the true thing is to be true to yourself and with yourself and don't rationalize or push beyond with magical thinking/BD thinking. And if you do, you have to be ready to take help without being defensive.

Easy to say, hard to do. ((hugs)) So happy for you and proud of all your hard work! (not that my pride matters LOL! #snort)

Thanks, all! I'm pleased that I can tell psych I'm not underweight, yes, she really thinks so! And pleased that 130 isn't outrageous to the bariatric team. Just taking it slow and steady now, and following the plan. Appreciate all the feedback!