Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass surgery and holidays

mamakoch

Oh no!! Did you see the cup I posted? I try to finish that in a day. It may help you!
I did yes... I drink three of these and coffee and Protein Shake.< a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/1576422800728.jpeg.1c341280bc501c5e79748f614365f864.jpeg" data-fileid="97474" rel="">1576422800728.jpeg

Sent from my 5032W using BariatricPal mobile app

3 minutes ago, mamakoch said:

I did yes... I drink three of these and coffee and Protein Shake.< a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/monthly_2019_12/1576422800728.jpeg.1c341280bc501c5e79748f614365f864.jpeg" data-fileid="97474" rel="">1576422800728.jpeg

The coffee works as a diuretic! Be careful! It makes you pee a lot more.

I used to love chocolate...now it tastes like chemicals. Try it, you may hate it

@mamakoch is this a recent problem or is it worse now than post op? I ask because they usually make sure you have good “output” before releasing you from hospital.

This seems like more to me than just not enough Fluid intake or that you are drinking coffee.

Forgot to add: coffee might be a diuretic but it’s a myth that it’s dehydrating since you are drinking Water at the same time as the caffeine.

are there any other factors like frequent diarrhea? That can cause dehydration and lead to low potassium. You could also have a UTI. It might be a good idea to bring this up with your surgeon or your primary care physician and run a few basic tests to make sure things are going along ok.

Also ... Try not to worry about when you need to step back or take things slow, better slow and know it’s going right.

Edited by Darktowerdream

[mention=363616]mamakoch[/mention] is this a recent problem or is it worse now than post op? I ask because they usually make sure you have good “output” before releasing you from hospital.
This seems like more to me than just not enough Fluid intake or that you are drinking coffee. are there any other factors like frequent diarrhea? That can cause dehydration and lead to low potassium. You could also have a UTI. It might be a good idea to bring this up with your surgeon or your primary care physician and run a few basic tests to make sure things are going along ok.
Also ... Try not to worry about when you need to step back or take things slow, better slow and know it’s going right.

I was in the hospital yesterday and I did the hydration thing. I had 400 mL of fluids pumped into my veins. I'm getting an ultrasound of my gallbladder next Friday because of facility issues. But before the surgery I had IBM and no I barely go and it's white...fun times

2 minutes ago, mamakoch said:

was in the hospital yesterday and I did the hydration thing. I had 400 mL of fluids pumped into my veins. I'm getting an ultrasound of my gallbladder next Friday because of facility issues. But before the surgery I had IBM and no I barely go and it's white...fun times

Ok I understand now. It’s extremely common for bariatric surgery patients to need cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) due to rapid weight loss. My gallbladder was problematic years prior so I ended up having it removed during my gastric bypass and it ended up being chronic inflammation. It sounds very possible they will suggest it’s your gallbladder. It definitely would cause the symptoms you describe.

I was in hospital shortly after my surgery not more than two days after. And got stuck there several days. Try not to worry and roll with the punches and you will come out ok.

If its anything like Turkey Day it sucked! I also do all the cooking and Dread this -

Here is a idea i had this year - Christmas eve is all finger foods, Shrimp, Oysters, Scallops all stuff i can eat, Now there will be Unhealthy food also but most will be clean and simple eat with your fingers and leave!

Christmas day I am going really simple - One large bone in Leg of Ham and due to the fact my family all loves ribs cut individually - I am not doing the sides this year except for a large Carbo Killer of lobster mac and cheese.

I explained to them all you want bull **** food bring it but I am not doing it -

As for sweets we decided to just get ice cream and call it a end to the day!

Good luck and use drugs to get thru it - I will for sure have my little hidden bag of vodka Jello shots somewhere around the kitchen.