Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band to Sleeve or Plication with low BMI?

Hi,

I would be very grateful for any advice. I was banned in 2006 at 18 stone (114kg) and have lost and maintained my current weight of between 11 - 12 stones (69.8kg) for over 10 years. I have had very little issues with my band, occasional stuck food, a little pain and a very unsightly port that sticks out.

I would really like to remove the band as I no longer like the idea of having it inside my body and am also worried about long term damage. I would really like to convert from a band to the Sleeve or Plication

However, my BMI is now approx. 23 and I have been told no one will operate as my BMI is too low. I am happy being restricted food-wise and don't want to lose this as I know I will re-gain weight. Is there any solution or any Dr that will do surgery for maintenance instead of weight loss?

Has anyone had this done?

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions

Hello, I have a normal BMI (23.4) and just had the band taken out and a sleeve done four days ago. I was at my target weight and maintained that for over 9 years but started having trouble with my band ( lots of vomiting) so then the Dr. took out all the Fluid in my band and I gained weight but stayed within a normal BMI. Since you haven't had any issues with the band, I am not sure if someone would do the surgery but I do think that you should have a consult with a bariatric surgeon and just explain everything. They can write it up in such a way that it would/could be approved by your health insurance. Hope you can get it all figured out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches