Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you doing before your surgery?

Hi guys

I'm curious what-if any- extra foods are you eating or drinking before your surgery knowing you won't get to eat them afterwards? Any weird cravings or food rituals? I only have 11 days and three of them is a clear liquid diet so I KNOW there's gonna be a chocolate shake and a piece of cheesecake somewhere in there....

I went ape **** crazy I ate huge subs, pizza and went to all kinds of resteraunts - Drank like a fish - I made myself sick one day, Hit Mc Donalds, all the fast food - Just went nutz

Was fun for a few weeks - But I will say i miss some things but this was the best decision i made in my life

Unfortunately I have a screwed up lap band that needs to be removed and converted to a RNY so I can't eat almost anything right now unless it is smooshy so no major binges like pizza, but I WILL get a piece of cheesecake down!

Edited by JRT Mom

Sorry to be Debbe-Downer here, but I used my preop time to get RID of the addictive foods - alcohol, caffeine, sugar, processed foods, refined carbs. I cleaned up my eating a lot. I did not want to struggle with any of that afterwards when recovery itself would be hard enough. I figured I did not have to wait until surgery day to decide to make the changes for life. Just saying.

Ahh, the voice of reason here. There's one in every crowd...😉

I gave up almost all sugar back in May when they decided I had a touch of the diabetes so I've been mostly good. But there WILL be a piece of cheesecake in there...

most of us reach a point post-surgery where we can eat anything again (that's not saying we necessarily DO, but we CAN), so I personally wouldn't worry about that. You will most likely be able to eat all those things again in moderation once you're a few months out, so I would spend this time practicing the way you're going to eat the first few months post-surgery. Then the change in diet isn't going to seem quite so radical - you'll be used to it by the time you have surgery.

I have my surgery scheduled for 12/16 and I’m trying to cut out foods. This past week I did horrible and I had family that flew in from Mexico and all they do is feed you! And since I haven’t seen them in years I said yes to everything. Now I have regrets because I’m up a few lbs. I still need to go to see the dietician and surgeon for final visit before surgery. I’ll be on a 2 week liquid diet with Protein Shakes. I don’t want to go back to my appts and they see I’ve gained weight. I want to at least maintain.

I've enjoyed my "last hurrah" lately; my pre-op diet starts tomorrow. In the past week I've had "smaller than usual" portions of steak, bacon, sushi, might have spaghetti tonight. Starting tomorrow: shakes, broth, and Water for 7 days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

4 minutes ago, ColoradoCanuck said:

I've enjoyed my "last hurrah" lately; my pre-op diet starts tomorrow. In the past week I've had "smaller than usual" portions of steak, bacon, sushi, might have spaghetti tonight. Starting tomorrow: shakes, broth, and Water for 7 days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

And you will have all those foods again - just not for a while!

During the time between my final weigh in and my actual surgery I went crazy. I actually had a gluttony day with my friends where we had donuts, cinnamon rolls, pizza, soda, cheesecake, chips, etc. It was great and honestly I'm glad I did it. I got in everything I wanted and I've been fine with cravings since surgery.

I've also been modifying my food intake since I started this journey. Each month I'm eliminating something from thje diet that I shouldn't have - like candy, Cookies, chips, and fast foods. Next month I will not only add another food item in there (limiting soda), but I'll also start portion controlling. All of this so that when I do finally get to the point of surgery, I can focus on the recovery and not on insane cravings. Plus, I know that they don't have to be forever deletions, just a majority of the time deletion. As long as I can tell my brain "not now, maybe later" that seems to satisfy the craving most of the time.

I ate every damn thing I possibly could that I knew I’d be missing. Which wasn’t much I was sleeved in 2012 and getting ready for bypass next week. But I put a dent in my list prior to my previous op phase starting lol. Enjoy

I'm having surgery on the 26th so I have been eating everything in sight. I only have a 3 day pre-op diet to follow which is liquid with Protein. I can't wait for surgery, but I feel content having been able to pig out the last few days.

Hello,

I start my pre op the day before Thanksgiving. My surgeon said I can have turkey. I will probably have Thanksgiving early. My Mom makes the absolute best home made sweet potato pies, and that is my one last thing and other Thanksgiving treats and I am am good.

Some days I look forward to the fast. Others I dread it. Yet I am ready for my life to continue to change for the better.

On 11/11/2019 at 9:19 AM, Machalo said:

I've also been modifying my food intake since I started this journey. Each month I'm eliminating something from thje diet that I shouldn't have - like candy, Cookies, chips, and fast foods. Next month I will not only add another food item in there (limiting soda), but I'll also start portion controlling. All of this so that when I do finally get to the point of surgery, I can focus on the recovery and not on insane cravings. Plus, I know that they don't have to be forever deletions, just a majority of the time deletion. As long as I can tell my brain "not now, maybe later" that seems to satisfy the craving most of the time.

You are going to be highly successful in this journey. You are already making lifestyle modifications, eliminating addictive trigger foods, and working on the "mind games", reframing your food decisions into healthy choices and delay of gratification. Surgery is a tool - not a magic bullet. YOU are working the magic NOW! Great job! I really look forward to watching your progress and success!