Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling alone.

I read up a lot on post op depression, I’m only four days preop but I feel like I’m in the muck of it. My significant other is seeming to have a lot of challenges with my new focus. Everything has been very difficult with numerous nods on how selfish I’m being. I feel like an impending doom is after me no matter how positive I’m really trying to be. On the topic of being selfish I’ve had to be home obviously recovering and haven’t been able to help out to much at home. I have been super exhausted these last couple days I’m not sure if that’s atypical ethier. For most I’ve made some boundaries at home with good, such as keeping it in the kitchen and being vocal on when seeing someone else eat junk (McDonald’s,sonic,anything ubereats) upsetting me and removing myself. I try not to be so black and white but all this turmoil is just making me feel more lost than ever.

Trust me the weight will start coming off and the energy level will increase. ONCE YOU recognize the true benefits of having the surgery for yourself and how it's going to improve your mental and physical being. All the side chatter won't mean a thing. Stay focus and strong...remember you got this.

1 hour ago, pudge.vsg said:

I read up a lot on post op depression, I’m only four days preop but I feel like I’m in the muck of it. My significant other is seeming to have a lot of challenges with my new focus. Everything has been very difficult with numerous nods on how selfish I’m being. I feel like an impending doom is after me no matter how positive I’m really trying to be. On the topic of being selfish I’ve had to be home obviously recovering and haven’t been able to help out to much at home. I have been super exhausted these last couple days I’m not sure if that’s atypical ethier. For most I’ve made some boundaries at home with good, such as keeping it in the kitchen and being vocal on when seeing someone else eat junk (McDonald’s,sonic,anything ubereats) upsetting me and removing myself. I try not to be so black and white but all this turmoil is just making me feel more lost than ever.

Sorry you are having such a hard time right now. It takes awhile to get your energy back and recover from this surgery. (it took me about a month) I insisted no junk food in the house and if they wanted to eat that stuff do it at work ect, at least in the beginning. I didn't want to see it and I don't see how that is selfish, its not like they cant eat it, just somewhere else until you get on a good track and know what your doing. Try to focus on how much better you are going to feel when the weight starts coming off. The depression will subside . Good luck

I know the feeling. The first 2 months were the worst and i regretted my surgery every second of everyday and everytime id go to someone to complain about my decision like my husband would say" this is what you wanted you did this to your self." It made me soo mad. My hubby the first 2months got in the habit of eatting tv dinners or going to get food for him and the kids. I was ok with sitting at the table while they ate there hapoy meals and i ate some grilled fish it sucked but at the same time smells change after surgery i wasnt tempted by alot of food till the second month. Anyways its hard what were going through and you gotta stay strong and focus on ur weight loss. It was amazing the energy i got back and everything is getting better with no more regret.

I hope ur husband learns that the first 2months u need his love and support and him saying ur being selfish he can go kiss it! This surgery was not the easy way out it take alot of patients and the will to keep goingneeds to be strong. U deserve to focus on u right now .. best of luck!

Sad to hear that you are having a rough time. Definitely consider two things (if you can): get a personal counselor (I had one a little before my surgery) and find a support group (ask NUT team or surgeon's office--people go before and after the surgery). I went through a mild downer about the 3rd week. I think it was withdrawal from alcohol, caffeine, food, everything!). I also work from home, so I am sitting looking at walls ALL day or food commercials! I am 6 weeks post-op and can go to fit classes and it is helping me to be around people. Keep your head up! I love also watching Dr. Voung's videos on YouTube and he keeps me going.

I've had the lap band and not gastric sleeve so I thought that I wouldn't experience a lot of this, but I did. I was full of doubt the first several weeks and wondered if I was crazy. My husband had to "adjust" and I told him I would not sit at the table and watch him eat, nor would I fix his dinner. After 47 years of marriage, it was about time he figured it out. I'm now about 6 weeks out and I'm excited about the future weight loss and he is excited because he can feed himself. I never liked the food he liked and only ate it because that was what was fixed. We have a truce. Every once in a while he asks if I'm doing ok and I tell him I'm fine although I have to say when I've had really serious surgery he has been there for me. Hang in there it will get better. Men just don't like being inconvenienced. By the way, this time should be all about you. Don't feel guilty.