Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I got that magic phone call today, I'm approved for surgery and will meet the surgeon this Friday. I just finished the options classes 2 weeks ago and my last requirement on Monday. I'm very proud of myself for this progress, but there's more to do and as those of you who are on this journey know, we all need somebody. You are the star of your "life", but who is your supporting cast for this part of the journey and is it who you thought it would be?

My support group is strong at times and other days I realize just how much of this is all me. I'm used to it being only me, but this journey requires vulnerability and transparency (at least for me), I need my supporting cast more than I thought...

Who are your supporters???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My life is surrounded by supporters from my family to my work family. I've had nothing but positive encouragement :D

Congrats on your approval!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ARMoma45 said:

My life is surrounded by supporters from my family to my work family. I've had nothing but positive encouragement :D

Congrats on your approval!!!

Thank you...

I'm very private so my supporters are very limited and were hand picked. I did meet some amazing people in the Options classes and have maintained contact, which is a source of support.

I love your post and comments by the way, always encouraging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. This is a frustrating and exciting journey for all of us and we need support...even if it's only from us here on the site :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did both lol. Now that i've had my surgery, I can't see how those folks on that show actually gained weight shortly after surgery...it blows my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

I got that magic phone call today, I'm approved for surgery and will meet the surgeon this Friday. I just finished the options classes 2 weeks ago and my last requirement on Monday. I'm very proud of myself for this progress, but there's more to do and as those of you who are on this journey know, we all need somebody. You are the star of your "life", but who is your supporting cast for this part of the journey and is it who you thought it would be?

My support group is strong at times and other days I realize just how much of this is all me. I'm used to it being only me, but this journey requires vulnerability and transparency (at least for me), I need my supporting cast more than I thought...

Who are your supporters???

I was the talent, agent, director, stage manager, costume designer, producer, promoter, sales rep and audience 😂

(other people may prove unreliable at times but I NEVER failed myself)

CONGRATS and Good Luck 💜

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not have any real support. My mother, who is my only real family, was 20000% against it and my coworkers were like "oh, okay" when I told them. lol. I've found that I don't actually need anyone else because I am accountable only to myself. It's nice talking online to people that have had it, too. But in "real life"... I'm my own cast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my family, I have only told my husband and my daughter who still lives at home. They are somewhat supportive, though both don't understand WHY I am doing this, and do give me occasional flack. For my husband it is more about the need for what he calls "unnecessary surgery" and his fear of complications (all his surgeries are complicated, but mine historically have been just fine). For my daughter, I am sure she is more "embarrassed" by the though of it than anything else. Hubby and I are both nurses, so we have the post op care covered. He has 2 days off work plus his weekend, so I will have care for 4 days (sort of... he will probably sleep more than anything lol). My daughter will begrudgingly help too lol. I say that because she is a teenager still and in a very "moody" phase lol.

I haven't told my oldest because he lives far away and he will worry and probably tell the family members that I don't want to know ANYTHING about what I am doing. I haven't told my middle son because school just started (away at college) plus I don't want him worrying. Both boys would probably feel obligated to come home, which would be silly since I will only be in the hospital one night. I will tell them eventually, just not until after the surgery.

I don't want anyone else in my family to know. Unless my daughter (or later sons) blab. I live 13 hours or more from everyone else in my family, so this would be easy for me to keep a secret.

As for other support? I have a co-worker who did this a couple years ago. She has been an amazing help. She is even stepping up and helping cover my absence. I also have let in a handful of other co-workers in on what I am doing. They have been great. My bosses don't know exactly what I am having surgery for (unless someone blabbed to them), but they are totally supportive of me doing anything I need to get healthier. I am sure the rumor mill is going to start up if it hasn't already. I am mentally preparing for that. I think my biggest challenge will be potlucks, which happen at least once a month. And when others just decide to bring in food on their own. Thankfully my cubicle has been moved. Last year I could smell the delicious food all day long from my desk. this year I will be further away. I have also asked that I be left off of the potluck groups list. I told the person who schedules it that I am happy to donate money so that I am participating, but I can't bring in food or hardly any of it. She was fine with that. I doubt others will notice I am not on the list, but if they do... oh well! Putting my health first above co-worker relations lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People can be supportive without knowing the whole truth. My friends, coworkers, work out buddies,etc have all been so supportive with my diet and exercise, they don’t need to know about my surgery 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ARMoma45 said:

I did both lol. Now that i've had my surgery, I can't see how those folks on that show actually gained weight shortly after surgery...it blows my mind.

The mind has to be in sync with the body. This is a serious commitment and I for one just don't want to see all of this work go to waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I was the talent, agent, director, stage manager, costume designer, producer, promoter, sales rep and audience 😂

(other people may prove unreliable at times but I NEVER failed myself)

CONGRATS and Good Luck 💜

This is my absolute favorite response and it's not short of the truth. Other ppl. are very unreliable and not invested in your success.

Give yourself a standing ovation for a performance out of this world. Thank you for the congratulations and well wishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, momof3_angels said:

In my family, I have only told my husband and my daughter who still lives at home. They are somewhat supportive, though both don't understand WHY I am doing this, and do give me occasional flack. For my husband it is more about the need for what he calls "unnecessary surgery" and his fear of complications (all his surgeries are complicated, but mine historically have been just fine). For my daughter, I am sure she is more "embarrassed" by the though of it than anything else. Hubby and I are both nurses, so we have the post op care covered. He has 2 days off work plus his weekend, so I will have care for 4 days (sort of... he will probably sleep more than anything lol). My daughter will begrudgingly help too lol. I say that because she is a teenager still and in a very "moody" phase lol.

I haven't told my oldest because he lives far away and he will worry and probably tell the family members that I don't want to know ANYTHING about what I am doing. I haven't told my middle son because school just started (away at college) plus I don't want him worrying. Both boys would probably feel obligated to come home, which would be silly since I will only be in the hospital one night. I will tell them eventually, just not until after the surgery.

I don't want anyone else in my family to know. Unless my daughter (or later sons) blab. I live 13 hours or more from everyone else in my family, so this would be easy for me to keep a secret.

As for other support? I have a co-worker who did this a couple years ago. She has been an amazing help. She is even stepping up and helping cover my absence. I also have let in a handful of other co-workers in on what I am doing. They have been great. My bosses don't know exactly what I am having surgery for (unless someone blabbed to them), but they are totally supportive of me doing anything I need to get healthier. I am sure the rumor mill is going to start up if it hasn't already. I am mentally preparing for that. I think my biggest challenge will be potlucks, which happen at least once a month. And when others just decide to bring in food on their own. Thankfully my cubicle has been moved. Last year I could smell the delicious food all day long from my desk. this year I will be further away. I have also asked that I be left off of the potluck groups list. I told the person who schedules it that I am happy to donate money so that I am participating, but I can't bring in food or hardly any of it. She was fine with that. I doubt others will notice I am not on the list, but if they do... oh well! Putting my health first above co-worker relations lol

Best of luck...and you are making wise choices for your success. That pesky rumor mill, let them talk while they eat cake. Well bask in the success of our new bodies and enjoy tiny pieces of cake occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

I did not have any real support. My mother, who is my only real family, was 20000% against it and my coworkers were like "oh, okay" when I told them. lol. I've found that I don't actually need anyone else because I am accountable only to myself. It's nice talking online to people that have had it, too. But in "real life"... I'm my own cast.

I'm dealing with a friend or 3 or 8 who I'm not going to tell, just because I refuse to deal with negative energy and ppl. who refuse to be or get educated on the benefits of this life changing and enhancing opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • veisor  »  Panda333

      Hi!
      Thank you for replying.   It means the world to me.  It also confirmed what I been feeling about which procedure to choose.   I fall into the category as you do and elected the sleeve as it seemed to be less invasive and recovery would be better and faster,  however I am so afraid to regain the weight back since I rarely eat and obesity runs in my family.   I have two siblings that had the bypass and they have been successful.  My sister was in the high 400's and is about 140 now and has been for several years since her procedure.  I guess I felt that the sleeve would allow me to have more control, however I realized that I can't control my genetics and that is one of the biggest reasons that I am here.  Yes, I have not always made the best choices but trust me when I say that I have been on the loss and regain + more rollercoaster weight ride for yrs! I have spent so much money as I am sure you have as well as many others who are going through this.  It is not easy and anyone who thinks this is a copout is crazy!!! This has been harder than anything I have done including hiring a personal trainer to kick my butt in the gym! And still with all the gym hours, clean eating "not to mention the clean eating cost" I knew it was time that I moved to the next step to finally be who I know in my head and heart cause when I see myself in the mirror,  well let's just say is not the girl I see in my mind. 
      So thanks again for your reply and I hope that we can keep in touch through our journey. 
      😊
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AggiG

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Pookeyism

      I'm going in for a sleeve revision October 4th. It worked well for me, and I am not back to my starting weight. However, a revision is strongly encouraged at this time (there are additional medical issues). I have decided to forgo the insurance process, even though I know I would eventually be approved. "Eventually" is the key issue here. I have a small window to create this to where it will not impact my work or home life as much, and waiting for the insurance approval would take over a year.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      I just read @BoredCW's status post and also want to lament the loss of my butt.  Looking at me the side, my back is basically flat from my neck to my knees.  My jeans have lovely fabric folds draping from my backside from lack of filling.
      Two days ago, I was sitting on a worn couch at the gym and I could feel the springs and count how many I was sitting on.  Told the Kid and she said she wants to find her childhood alphabet fridge magnets in the basement to spell out words and have me sit on them and do some "butt-braille-reading" 😂
      · 5 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        HI-LAR-ious! I love your kid!!!

        Yeah, we all suffer from noassatall syndrome. :(

      2. 2Bsmaller18

        Yes. I think the spandex in jeans is the only thing that helps keep the sag below the pockets form looking ridiculous. Even leggings wrinkle there.

      3. ms.sss

        Ah, our disappearing collective butts.

        I am seriously considering changing my plastics plan. I am booked for an arm lift in December, but my summer obsession with arm exercises has improved the look of them quite a bit to the point that I think I may hate my butt more than my arms. Should I do a butt lift instead?!?! In conjunction with?!?!?

        I am trying to cultivate an obsession with butt exercises but its not working so far...

      4. 2Bsmaller18

        I don't think you could do both at the same time. For me personally it's arms. I have granny wrinkles down to my elbows. I can always dover my body with tshirts, pants, etc but unless I wear long sleeves my arms are an issue. I also can't wear a small enough jacket since it fits everywhere but too tight in the arms. They measure around 13.5 inches. Can you compromise and get the smaller arm lift. I don't know if that saves much $ or recovery but if your arms improved that much maybe just a tweek will work?

      5. ms.sss

        The difference in price for a mini arm lift and the full arm lift at my surgeon is less thank 2K and probably not worth the savings. May as well pay the extra bit and get the full arm lift as my sag also reaches my elbows. You are right though, my arms see the light of day way more than my butt does...I'll have to see if the continued butt exercises will change my mind down the road (but it's looking more and more that a butt lift is in my future)

        P.S. At the beginning of my 2 week pre-op diet, my upper right arm measured 17.75 inches in circumference. Now its 10. And that is with the extra skin still.

    • BoredCW

      On the 3 week plateau from hell.. It seems like an endless desert with sand dunes that represent the 1-2 pounds gain then dropped from day to day. Met with my weight loss group tonight and was told its normal. That this is sometimes like a step, plateau then drop, plateau then drop. Only for the plateau's to go on longer the farther away from the surgery date I get. Much like EDM, I can't wait for the drop. 
      On top of it all, I lost my ass. Seriously.. its gone. All that cushion that I enjoyed lounging on eating what ever I ate, watching what ever was on the computer or tv... is gone. That glorious support system is vamoosed. I know this because my ass (tailbone) hurts all the time. I'm sitting on bone now and its sore. I am my own literal Pain in the Ass! (My family would say whats new, but who cares about them.. my butt hurts.) I have yet to bring a pillow with me everywhere I go to sit on, but I'm getting ready to as I sit for my job working on computers. So far losing the weight is a Pain. I hope it gets better. 
      · 2 replies
      1. ms.sss

        Hang in there, the plateau will end eventually. Also I feel you on the butt thing.

      2. FluffyChix

        I have a butt pillow. I'm not proud. :D

        The plateaus suck!!!! Keep the faith and motor on!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×