Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

💩Poop (or lack there of)

I am 6 days out from sleeve to rny revision & still have not pooped. I am finally passing gas, but I do not feel any urge to have a bowel movement. I have been taking Dulcolax stool softener a couple times a day, but still nothing. Was wondering if MOM or Mirilax is the way to go? I am also having a sharp pain under by left breast/rib cage. Hurts to take a deep breath. Anyone else experience this?

6 days is a long time to go without moving your bowels even when you're not taking in a lot. You may want to contact your surgeon to let him know and ask what his preferences are in this situation.

Me, at about day 3 or 4, I took MOM. I kept it on hand for the first 6 mos or so and would take that or bisacodyl if I thought I needed help in that department. These days, I'm pretty regular.

It kind of comes down to preference. Dulcolax stool softener is Colace in disguise and will really only help keep your BMs soft. You probably need a true laxative to stimulate the BM. Both MOM and Miralax are osmotic, meaning they will pull liquid from your body to sort of "flush" the waste from your body. Bisacodyl (Dulcolax, the laxative) is a stimulant, meaning it will stimulate the muscles of the bowels into moving the waste from your body. All can be taken orally. Osmotics can also be taken as an enema. Stimulants, as a suppository.

Whatever you choose to take, make sure you're getting your liquids in. As you'll see most of these leach Water from your system in an effort to keep you regular. Besides, you need that water to help remove the waste from your body. So sip, sip, sip, drink, drink, drink.

Good luck!

I would take Milk of Magnesia or Dulolax and get things moving.

poop.PNG

Thanks everyone. I've just been taking Dulcolax/Colace and nothing has happened. I'm on day 3 post-op but I had not have a BM 2 days prior to surgery. We just found some MOM that is still sealed (never been opened) but it expired in 2016...sigh..

Recent revision here 😍

I was told that colace and miralax will help for daily relief but to contact the Team if its been longer than 3 days with no bowel movement.

Contact yours to find out what you can have for this acute situation since its been so long.

Good Luck 💜

I am 5 day post Gastric Sleeve I had no BM about 3 days prior to surgery. So for a total of 8 days I did not go. Today I finally went out and purchased an enema and some MOM. Of coarse once I came home and rested for 10 mins I went on my own. You really have to keep up on your Water intake and get some walking in. I think it helped me tremendously. Good Luck

I have sent a message to my Dr's office asking what they want me to take/do.

My abdominal cramps are worse today - maybe it is from the 'need to go'?

Going to keep drinking Water and staying hydrated.

I took some MOM hours ago & still nothing. I don’t even feel like anything is in there.

I’m about 5 months out.

So I used to used smooth love tea which worked! But it comes with cramps and discomfort in my lower abdomen. The last two weeks. I’ve been drinking straight up celery juice in the morning and it’s worked wonders for me. I have regular BMs and I don’t have abdominal discomfort. 💩

Where can I find Celery juice or do you make your own?

I juice it with my juicer, but if you can google a juice bar or Whole Foods

I juice it myself. You can also blend it and strain it if you don’t have a juicer. I have it in the morning on an empty stomach. Warning first time may be a little gross, but not so bad afterward. Hope it helps you as much as it has helped me!!

I do have a juicer! How much celery do you need per glass? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Lynda486 said:

I do have a juicer! How much celery do you need per glass? Thanks!

With the slow masticating one, it takes me about a whole stalk of celery for about 16 ozs

Depending on how big of a bunch you have, I usually will do about 12 individual stalks. Roughly 16 oz. I don’t include the the middle small ones and I take out the yellow leaves bc it makes it bitter if I leave it. Hope it works for you!