Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you guys feel normal? Long Term Sleevers

Im 5 years in Oct and when i had the endoscopy before surgery i had a slight hiatal hernia.ive always suffered from heartburn on and off but everything was ok.until 3 months ago when i had my 3rd endoscopy and was told i had an ulcer(my biggest fear with this surgery) and my hernia is alot worse.so i was put on carafate for 3 months and had my hiatal hernia repaired 5 days.another endoscopy was done right before surgery and showed ulcer healed but i had a massive amount of scar tissue from acids in my stomach.also my stomach is still very irritated and i just got back from check up today and i have to be on pureed foods for 4 more weeks and still on protonix for 2 months more(ive been on protonix since my sleeve,5yrs!)also have to get another endoscopy in 6 weeks!omgg,this acid needs to stop already!anyone else been down this road???
10/6/2014-214lbs
7/15/2019-149lbs

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Also i am very happy with my sleeve!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm 5 and a half years out also. I take pamiprexole for the GERD which is terrible otherwise. I also can't lie down within a couple hours of consuming anything except Water or I wake up choking on stomach acid. My doctor said this is not normal and offered to sever some nerve but that freaked me out so I just deal with it. I also hate the stomach talking ALL THE TIME. People at work think I'm always hungry and it's beyond embarrassing. Even when it's not growling, it's just gurgling or sounds gross and I am sure people don't know what's happening in there but are too polite to ask. I also have very bad insulin resistance so I regained some weight but intermittent fasting is helping with that. Other than those things, I feel like I did pre-surgery, lol. Sometimes I regret the surgery but most of the time I'm glad I did it. It's definitely a lifestyle change that most people do not understand. Eating healthy and watching myself is fine and easy to do but some of the other little things I mentioned make it frustrating at times. They're not a huge deal though.

I'm 3 years out next month. I feel so much better than normal. I pretty much eat what I want (within limits) and give myself the option of the occasional slice of pizza or small plate of Pasta. I still take a PPI for reflux and my Vitamins. But what I can do now that I couldn't do before when I was 300 pounds:

I'm ranked 22 among women in my age group in foil fencing (as in en garde) NATIONALLY

I'm ranked 37 among women in my age group in saber fencing NATIONALLY

I can deadlift and back squat 240 pounds. I can clean and jerk 75 pounds.

If I had the plastics done, you'd see the six pack.

I'm in the best shape I've ever been in during my adult life.

Do I have a cocktail once or twice a week? Sure

Do I eat popcorn occasionally? Sure

But my weight is stable around 152 with about 25% body fat which is pretty darn good for a post menopausal woman who has lost 150 pounds.

Do I know I have a sleeve - sure - if I try to eat too much or eat too fast I'm reminded. But that doesn't happen very often.

22 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

I'm 3 years out next month. I feel so much better than normal. I pretty much eat what I want (within limits) and give myself the option of the occasional slice of pizza or small plate of Pasta. I still take a PPI for reflux and my Vitamins. But what I can do now that I couldn't do before when I was 300 pounds:

I'm ranked 22 among women in my age group in foil fencing (as in en garde) NATIONALLY

But my weight is stable around 152 with about 25% body fat which is pretty darn good for a post menopausal woman who has lost 150 pounds.

Do I know I have a sleeve - sure - if I try to eat too much or eat too fast I'm reminded. But that doesn't happen very often.

That is amazing!! Good for you, I am sure you are proud of urself....Since you take a PPI now, did you suffer from GERD before sleeve or is this a new onset that you've acquired after the sleeve? Thanks

I probably had GERD before my sleeve, but didn't take anything for it. To be honest, I can live with taking Protonix and Vitamins for the benefits I've gotten.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:07 AM, Defying Gravity said:

I'm 5 and a half years out also. I take pamiprexole for the GERD which is terrible otherwise. I also can't lie down within a couple hours of consuming anything except Water or I wake up choking on stomach acid. My doctor said this is not normal and offered to sever some nerve but that freaked me out so I just deal with it. I also hate the stomach talking ALL THE TIME. People at work think I'm always hungry and it's beyond embarrassing. Even when it's not growling, it's just gurgling or sounds gross and I am sure people don't know what's happening in there but are too polite to ask. I also have very bad insulin resistance so I regained some weight but intermittent fasting is helping with that. Other than those things, I feel like I did pre-surgery, lol. Sometimes I regret the surgery but most of the time I'm glad I did it. It's definitely a lifestyle change that most people do not understand. Eating healthy and watching myself is fine and easy to do but some of the other little things I mentioned make it frustrating at times. They're not a huge deal though.

I am only 6 months out but I relate to all you said - I take Pantoprazole for GERD (however don't really ever feel like I get heartburn except I will say I have also woken up choking on stomach acid at least 5 times now. And yes the stomach noises (gurgles, and weird sounds) can be obnoxious! All in all I am still losing weight and very happy I made this decision.

SW 298

CW 207

GW 190

I spent a lifetime watching my weight I don’t think that will change I will always be aware. Sleeve 2015. Days go by and I don’t actually consider the surgery - my focus is on health. I can do so much more .... let me include I work in an environment where pretty much everyone is health focused 60% to 80% of the time. Yeah normal.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:31 PM, Diana_in_Philly said:

I am so happy for you. Keep up the great work.