Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nipping the slide in the bud

Before my VSG (April 2017) I read everything that there was to read about the process.

My surgery changed my life and my body! I lost more weight than I ever thought I would. I looked and felt beyond incredible!

I've been maintaining at a BMI of around 20 - 21 for about 1.5 years

But now, the slippage has started and I am NOT happy about it. People said it would and they were right.

When I was in maintenance mode and I slowly started reintroducing more foods back into my diet, I absolutely loved that I could consume small portions of pretty much anything without gaining. But now the restriction has massively lessened. I can see that my portion sizes are growing again. My hunger is back. I can't kick my nightly "sweet treat" that's slowly turning from a square of dark chocolate back to a bar.

I've gained 5lbs from my goal weight. I can feel my clothes getting tighter. I need to nip this in the bud right now!!! I don't want to ever ever ever go back to how things were before. And I don't want this whole process to be wasted. 5lb may not sound like a lot but I have a small frame so it shows. Plus, its a slippery, slippery slope.

So I'm posting here to get some support and to stay accountable.

I've got to lose this 5lbs.

I'm going back to tracking my calories and my macros every day. Portion Control through weighing. Low carb high Protein. Fibre. Water intake.

I can do this.

Edited by NightPilgrim

You've got this! If you need additional support there are monthly challenges for motivation/mindfulness with an exercise component as well (optional) Check us out :

Edited by GreenTealael

@NightPilgrim How are you doing with your 5lb Quest? Are you back on track??

Funny (notfunny) but at 18months, I too am struggling with the desire to eat at night--and eat not so great things!! Or eat too much of a good thing.

One thing that is oddly satisfying to me again and is such a small snack that it doesn't hurt too badly is -

Sugar free Jello Cups with a spoon of Greek Yogurt or an ounce of kefir poured over it. Use the unflavored and just let the sweetness of the jello flavor the yogurt or kefir. Here was my snack last night and it filled me up and let me quit obsessing about a square of chocolate. :D You could even have 6 Lily's Dark Chocolate chips and a fresh strawberry on top for not much more!

image.png.056e38409261e4f99a895294a79e4692.png

Thirty two cals is a bargain, right?!!

Here it is with about 6 chocolate chips and a medium strawberry. Still a massive snack bargain for the ROI. :D

image.png.4eba1dfe882e9b0175b0d0c5b8e36a86.png

Edited by FluffyChix

[mention=312903]NightPilgrim[/mention] How are you doing with your 5lb Quest? Are you back on track??
Funny (notfunny) but at 18months, I too am struggling with the desire to eat at night--and eat not so great things!! Or eat too much of a good thing.
One thing that is oddly satisfying to me again and is such a small snack that it doesn't hurt too badly is -
sugar free Jello Cups with a spoon of Greek Yogurt or an ounce of kefir poured over it. Use the unflavored and just let the sweetness of the Jello flavor the yogurt or kefir. Here was my snack last night and it filled me up and let me quit obsessing about a square of chocolate. [emoji3] You could even have 6 Lily's Dark chocolate chips and a fresh strawberry on top for not much more!
image.png.056e38409261e4f99a895294a79e4692.png
Thirty two cals is a bargain, right?!!
Here it is with about 6 chocolate chips and a medium strawberry. Still a massive snack bargain for the ROI. [emoji3]
image.png.4eba1dfe882e9b0175b0d0c5b8e36a86.png

Curious, how'd you come across Lily's dark chocolate chips? Is it considered one of the best with respect to macros?

8 hours ago, rs said:

Curious, how'd you come across Lily's dark chocolate chips? Is it considered one of the best with respect to macros?

I used to be a low carb Keto blogger (fluffychixcook.com) and so I was aware of all the new products on the market both for low carb keto and sugar free/grain free ingredients and food products. These came on the market a few years back and I liked that they used erythritol as a sweetener and were dark chocolate for extra polyphenol action and also had inulin in them as Fiber for more pre-biotic support of your gut. I liked their taste as well, and if you do "net carbs", then one serving is only 2g of net carbs because you can subtract fiber and erythritol (sugar alcohol) carbs.

Oh, and you can now buy them in many grocery stores with the other chocolate chips.

image.png.bf5e9fe4129691065f525075bc14624d.png

image.thumb.png.6036b1606b65661e10d2abb871b2af37.png

So crazy to look back on that message I wrote 6 months ago.. in that time I haven't yet managed to get the 5lb off and back to my lowest weight. I started thinking maybe this was the new normal point...but then I put on another 3 lbs and realised that NO it is my bad habits, not helped by my husband. So since Jan 1st I have taken more drastic measures and started Intermittent Fasting. First 16/8 and now 18/6. It has majorly helped with pouch resetting and I can even feel the restriction of my sleeve more strongly again since I have been been fasting 18 hours a day and only eating in the short window. Its actually been working and ive lost 3.5 out of the 8 lbs I want to lose to get back to my lowest weight. This restricted way of eating is also helping me deal with my night snacking because it's outside my eating window. I'm going to stick with it and just consider it a new sleeve lifestyle. 5 lbs to go but I'm feeling empowered and optimistic. Keep your fingers fingers crossed for me

Sent from my CLT-L29 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 minutes ago, NightPilgrim said:

I'm going to stick with it and just consider it a new sleeve lifestyle. 5 lbs to go but I'm feeling empowered and optimistic. Keep your fingers fingers crossed for me

Awesome! This is my life. I IF 5 days a week and ADF with caloric restriction 2-3 days a week in order to stay within my 5lb window! This morning was 132.6lbs so having a lighter day and want to head back toward 130 for the weekend! :D

Congrats on finding a solution and taking off 3.5lbs! Woot!

Come join us over on the IF thread!