Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Frank Felts - anyone had him as surgeon

I am looking at using Dr. Frank Felts thru True Results/Lap Band Solutions. He works out of Dallas and Houston. Does anyone have any experience with him in either office?

If you have used him for the Houston office, how was your experience with the staff and aftercare? How did it seem to work with him having a practice in both cities?

If you used him in Dallas, how was your experience with dealing with him personally as a doctor?

I have been in for a seminar that he talked at, and I've had my medical evaluation, and am awaiting insurance approval. If everything goes as planned, I will be having surgery Dec 21st, so I can recuperate over my Christmas vacation before returning to work.

Thanks for your help.

I was banded last month by him in Dallas....Love him, best decision we (husband banded with me:)) ever made...He is FANTASTIC!!! Makes himself very available during your aftercare.

LuLu

Dr. Felts is my Dr. and I am located in Houston. I found him through Lap Band Solutions and was very very happy with him. Had surgery at the surgicare center in Houston and he flies down several times a month to do surgeries and see his Houston patients. The surgicare center was wonderful and I have nothing but good things to say about him as a Dr. and his staff. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Dr. Felts is my Dr. and I am located in Houston. I found him through Lap Band Solutions and was very very happy with him. Had surgery at the surgicare center in Houston and he flies down several times a month to do surgeries and see his Houston patients. The surgicare center was wonderful and I have nothing but good things to say about him as a Dr. and his staff. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thanks! :( You answered one of my concerns, which was how it would work, especially the aftercare, with him being based in Dallas and flying down here. I didn't realize that he also flies down during to see his patients during the month, and not only for surgeries. It's great to hear about his Houston staff being easy to work with. I assume you are happy with your results from the lap band and have no regrets? Do you remember the names of anyone you worked with on his staff?

I've been to the building on main street (AIGB) for my medical evaluation. Is there another part on that floor set up for surgeries? Does it look like an actual surgical place? Is there a good waiting room? Did you feel that if something would have gone wrong, they were equipped to handle it or could get you someplace quick?

From the outside, the building looks like a regular office building. I don't want my parents (who are taking me there on the day of surgery) to panic because it doesn't look like a hospital! It's taken years to get over my fear of dying on the operating table and leaving my son with no parent(that's one why I'm not doing bypass). But after attending Dr. Felts seminar and seeing the video of the actual lap band surgery, I felt much more at ease. Now my only concern is adjusting to eating so much less after the surgery!

Thanks again for your opinions!

The surgicare center in Houston is on the top floor. When you walk in it looks like a regular Dr. offce waiting room. Very comfortable with magazines, coffee, and a TV. When you go back to the operatory you immediately feel like you are in another building. Everything is hospital like and set up just like you would see in a hospital. The surgery staff is wonderful and I had a former patient come in and talk to me right before I went in for surgery. She was very reassuring and asked if I had any questions. She gave me her business card and told me to call her any time...day or night with any questions. My parents took me also...my husband is in Iraq and so they came to take care of me. The staff let them come back and talk to me right before I went in for surgery and immediately after I came out of it. At no time did I ever feel uncomfortable or have second thoughts. I was totally confident in the staff and Dr. Felts. This was my very first surgery, even though I have had 2 kids....they were both normal births with no complications and no c-sections. After surgery several people gave me business cards and told me to call with any questions. I think you will be very happy with your care. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I had a great experience and actually I will be going back for my 2nd fill next week.

Wow. I just looked at your results between surgery day, and current, and it's great!

Thank you for your great response. It is very reassuring!

I just received a call about my costs from Dr. Felts office, and I have a billing question for you. Did you use insurance?

If so, how did the facility charge work out? Dr. Felts office called and gave me the fee for the doctor, and the max that I would have to pay for the anestesiologist (sorry for the mispelling). All together, that was $360. I was amazed (expected it to be much more). She said the facility bills separately and that I would have to call them to get their cost. She gave me their number.

I called them, but since I'm not in their system yet, they haven't called my insurance and can't tell me how much I will have to pay. She just assured me it would not be more than my out of pocket maximum, which i know is $2400. Then she said I would receive a call 3 days before my scheduled surgery with the amount!

I told her I needed to know earlier than that, so I can make sure I have the money and plan for it. So I asked if they have a set charge for the facility, and then I could figure out the amount based on my 15% copay. She didn't seem to want to answer, but I told her there has to be a set facility fee-that can't vary depending on the patient-only the amount they have to pay depending on their insurance. So finally she told me it was $14,500. 15% of that is $2,175. I was shocked that the facility was that much - so much more than than the $360 that I would have to pay the doctor & Anest.

Does that sound right to you?

Also, I had based what I would have to pay on 15% of the $12,900 price they advertised which covers the total package including the doctor and facility. I asked her how the facility charge could be more than that, but she said that's only the price for cash customers because insurance pays differently. Which I understand-insurance normally discounts the amount billed before they pay out.

Anyway, just wanted to know how the financial part with the surgical facility worked for you (I don't have to have exact #'s). Did it run smoothly? The tone of the lady I was talking to was a bit rude (the doctors office was quite friendly and helpful).

Thanks again!

To tell you the truth Im not sure about the costs. I had insurance that covered all but 20% and my max out of pocket was $2500 for the year. The day of surgery, they asked me what I wanted to put down and I put down like $500 and then made payment arrangements. I just pay monthly until Im paid off. I do remember it wasnt much. They will go over everything the day of surgery too. I really didnt pay much attention cause I really wanted this surgery and didnt want anything to stand in the way. I know thats horrible of me not to pay more attention, but it was worth any price I could have paid. To me, money was never an issue....I wanted to get the surgery and figure out how to pay it back later. LOL. Wish I could be more help in this area, but all I know is I am making payments to the surgicare center.

No, you helped a lot. I didn't know that the surgical center would take payments - I've heard of people being told to show up with thousands of dollars right before surgery, so if they will work something out with me, that will work out perfectly.

I'm definitely not going to let the cost stand in my way. I'm set on having this surgery on December 21st, no matter what!

I spent over $4000 this year trying to lose weight with personal trainers and a weight loss center, so my possible $2300 out of pocket will be nothing compared to that, except that this weight loss try will be long term and I won't have to repeat the same cycle over and over.

You have been very helpful. I really appreciate all your answers, and letting me know how everything works with the center. It has helped put my mind at ease. The "unknown" causes a lot of anxiety for me, so it helps to have answers.

Officially 3 weeks to surgery day! I am so excited and ready to begin preparing. It's so hard not to tell everyone! But I'm only told my mom, dad, best friend, and I will tell my teenage son before surgery.

I am looking at using Dr. Frank Felts thru True Results/Lap Band Solutions. He works out of Dallas and Houston. Does anyone have any experience with him in either office?

If you have used him for the Houston office, how was your experience with the staff and aftercare? How did it seem to work with him having a practice in both cities?

If you used him in Dallas, how was your experience with dealing with him personally as a doctor?

I have been in for a seminar that he talked at, and I've had my medical evaluation, and am awaiting insurance approval. If everything goes as planned, I will be having surgery Dec 21st, so I can recuperate over my Christmas vacation before returning to work.

Thanks for your help.

Dr. Felts is my Dr. I had my band on Thursday (11-29) I actually never met him until my pre op visit which was last monday. He is awesome. Very personable. I know he likes someone that really researches the procedure and has lots of questions for him. So if you have question, I would suggest writing them down in a little notebook and just jot them down as you go. I did that, the closer to surgery the more questions I had. Got alot of good ones from this site too.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!

Thanks. It seems like he has a good reputation. I'm glad to know that he is very thorough and likes patients who have a lot of questions because I definitely have my list ready!

Congratulations on your surgery!

Yay! I am so glad to read so many good things about this doctor and Lap Band Solutions! I also found this website below when I googled him. I love this Lap Band Talk Forum so far. You all discuss EVERYTHING! Iti si so helpful and makes someone like me that is barely looking into this, feel so much better about this decision.

Bariatric Surgeon Profile - Frank Felts

Thanks for the website link. Makes me feel even better, as i have these "doubts" as the day approaches (alternating between being totally calm and confident to freaking out). I'm also in Houston. From what I understand, he does fly down for our post op appointments, and our fills will be done by a nurse.

I do intend to ask him at my pre-op what do we do if an emergency arises, since he will be in Richardson...