Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Understanding the stall

So, one thing I don't really understand much of is what's actually going on when we stall. Per calculations, at my weight, my resting BMR is something on the order of 2900 kcal per day. I'm eating about 6-900 kcal a day. Logically, I should be losing weight this whole time, but I stall or even fluctuate in an upward direction at times. I'm walking a bit, perhaps not as much as I should, and I'm swimming, again perhaps not as much as I should.

But if it's just calories in vs calories out... that's a deficit of close to 2000 calories. I should be losing about 4 lbs a week. I'm hitting my Protein goals, my Water goals, and I'm getting my Vitamins in.

What's happening here?

4 minutes ago, summerset said:

Water retention and the body not being a machine.

(and I always wonder how people manage to exercise while eating 600 kcal a day)

As for the exercise thing, I typically eat right before I'm about to go exercise/swim. It gives me the energy to do it.

I don't get it either. I'm eating the right number of calories, exercising, getting in Protein, drinking Water and nothing's happening.

It's really frustrating. Dangint, I just want to be below 300 already. I'm so close.

Some researchers believe it's not as simple as calories in vs calories out. There are other metabolic/hormonal elements that can affect weight. Type of food & hydration levels also affect weight on the scale. And weight fluctuations can come from a host of factors. But you don't want to lose just any weight... (water loss from dehydration is inferior to fat loss) you want to lose fat.

May people suggest getting a scale that measures body fat so you can track that instead of just numerical weight.

Good luck💙

Edited by GreenTealael

If you dont eat enough calories your body thinks it's starving and will hold on to fat for energy stores. I stalled for MONTHS and the only thing that got the scale moving was going to the gym and lifting weights. I also upped my calories because Im hungrier after a work out. My surgeon warned me ahead of time that I am one of those very hearty people with survival genes and my body is built to survive and wants to hang on to my fat. Somehow he knew I'd need to do weight lifting and voila! Like magic the scale is going down. I was walking an hour a day and still not moving but the act of building muscle has been a game changer. I go when I'm tired or hot and it paying off. If you can go work out I cant recommend it enough

Edited by jasmineinmymind

5 hours ago, Ellf said:

So, one thing I don't really understand much of is what's actually going on when we stall. Per calculations, at my weight, my resting BMR is something on the order of 2900 kcal per day. I'm eating about 6-900 kcal a day. Logically, I should be losing weight this whole time, but I stall or even fluctuate in an upward direction at times. I'm walking a bit, perhaps not as much as I should, and I'm swimming, again perhaps not as much as I should.

But if it's just calories in vs calories out... that's a deficit of close to 2000 calories. I should be losing about 4 lbs a week. I'm hitting my Protein goals, my Water goals, and I'm getting my Vitamins in.

What's happening here?

CICO is a myth. You DO need a caloric deficit but it's very complex. It's all based on hormonal (several) feedback loops.

Well, weight moved downward again this morning. one pound closer to below 300.