Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i'm having to make the same decision right now. Surgeon suggested bypass but I went to him for the sleeve. I've had friends who've had success with both. The most I can figure is below from my own anecdotal research

Sleeve

Good for the most obese patients because it's an easy surgery for them to get through - They do the sleeve on 600 lb life

Bad if you have GERD and you can get GERD after this due to the stricture

Bad if you are a chronic overeater

People that don't resolve their eating issues end up stretching the sleeve and getting bypass anyway

All Calories and Vitamins get absorbed

Bypass

Good if you have diabetes, cures it in one day

Complex - intestines are rerouted, more complex surgery

Good if you have other co-morbidities

Slightly better weight loss sustained over the long term (more stats though)

Gold Standard - Who knows what this means it's just been around longer

Malabsorption of calories and vitamins means you will have to take vitamins every day but good news ,many calories you eat are also not absorbed.

My pcp and my good friend say sleeve is for me and my surgeon and therapist are recommending the bypass. I think you have to be really honest of how you got overweight.

I am not a person that overeats. I'm obese and my body likes it there even when I eat 800 calories. That is why I'm leaning towards bypass although I'm dreading having to take a Vitamin every day. If I was a severe overeater I would do the sleeve. That's just what I'm thinking now.

i'm having to make the same decision right now. Surgeon suggested bypass but I went to him for the sleeve. I've had friends who've had success with both. The most I can figure is below from my own anecdotal research
Sleeve
Good for the most obese patients because it's an easy surgery for them to get through - They do the sleeve on 600 lb life
Bad if you have GERD and you can get GERD after this due to the stricture
Bad if you are a chronic overeater
People that don't resolve their eating issues end up stretching the sleeve and getting bypass anyway
All Calories and Vitamins get absorbed

Bypass
Good if you have diabetes, cures it in one day
Complex - intestines are rerouted, more complex surgery
Good if you have other co-morbidities
Slightly better weight loss sustained over the long term (more stats though)
Gold Standard - Who knows what this means it's just been around longer
Malabsorption of calories and vitamins means you will have to take vitamins every day but good news ,many calories you eat are also not absorbed.

My pcp and my good friend say sleeve is for me and my surgeon and therapist are recommending the bypass. I think you have to be really honest of how you got overweight.

I am not a person that overeats. I'm obese and my body likes it there even when I eat 800 calories. That is why I'm leaning towards bypass although I'm dreading having to take a Vitamin every day. If I was a severe overeater I would do the sleeve. That's just what I'm thinking now.
If you don't mind my asking...what's so awful about taking a vitamin every day? They make bariatric chewables that aren't bad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Happy with my sleeve, one year out. Glad not to have to worry about malabsorption, no GERD (VSG cured my heartburn), stable weight loss, feel great. Both surgeries can be excellent!

I chose bypass, and I'm very happy with that choice. Complications can happen with either surgery. I only wanted to do this once, and chose bypass because I thought it gave me, personally, the best shot at success. There are tons of very successful sleevers, though. Ultimately go with your gut! (Pun intended!)

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

And you don't have to go even the chewable route, I take prenatal Vitamins, yeah a lot of strange looks at W-M when you're over 70, some people think I buy them for a grand-daughter so I'll have healthy great- grandbabies, the ones I am honest with ( and already think I'm a tad flakey in the First Place) I joke with about it all but they have high rates of everything I Need including some Iron, well I still need extra because Precious Pouch does not like animal Proteins like meat, no problem , my Ferrocite is a teeny greenie once a day, take either citrus juice, diluted or a vi5am8n C with it. And my prenatals are a small caplet, not even as BIG as the ones I took when Verifiably preggo, and my dietician at OSU recommended them in the first place, Thank You Roy, couldn't hack chewables, couldn't chomp them with dentures, almost lost my love of applesauce when I put ground- up in it. My secret, small amount,of liquid, reopen gently mouth , toss things in and let them float down to Gut- Dom while I swallow. Ground up maybe a couple weeks , said "Flupp This" and taken whole pills since then except for Carafate which has to be dissolved into a slurry since my Cheapo Medicare Part D supplier SilverScripts(curse YOU!) won't pay a share of it for liquid, if I had to buy Carafate over the counter my ulcers would have perforated , BLED and I'd be Totally DeAD! And I have never in my 11.25 month bypass career ever dumped,truth is I vomit too quickly to ever be at Risk, Precious Pouch don't like,IT , it re- emerges QUICKLY, so fast it doesn't even smell at all, no real chance to digest.
But that's how the mop flops and I do love a BMI of 28, 188 pounds and securely in Junior and Misses clothes after a lifetime of " Where are your LARGER Clothes displayed?"- Almost always in the back near the Restrooms- Now I am in the front with pretty shades, large selections, and No Shame Any Longer- And Frustr8 is "rocking" until I topple over and get hauled off on a gurney!