Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Maintenance Thread

31 minutes ago, AZhiker said:

Yup. Can't cut calories and train. So I'll keep on eating and maybe add some Protein Bars if needed. I worry about rebound gain once the honeymoon stage is over, but will cross that bridge when the time comes. There is always the IF tool to pull out. Such an interesting, unique journey for each of us.

Very true! it may just be very temporary, not many of us are even at the 3-5 year mark yet (true maintenance yrs?)

Edited by GreenTealael

4 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Very true! it may just be very temporary, not many of us are even at the 3-5 year mark yet (true maintenance yrs?)

it's temporary for sure. Lots of us at 3+ years out really struggle not to regain. If I don't constantly watch what I eat, my weight starts to head north...

37 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

it's temporary for sure. Lots of us at 3+ years out really struggle not to regain. If I don't constantly watch what I eat, my weight starts to head north...

Thank you for the reminder and adding a balanced view. This thread is kind of misleading to read sometimes because almost everyone on it is probably still a honeymooner

@AZhiker This is probably going to come out sounding a whole lot harsher than I intend it to. My apologies up front. I'm going to blame on it being Monday morning

I keep losing weight, even with a much higher carb intake

II am eating lots of carbs, getting plenty of fat,

I don't even count anymore

I cannot tell you how many calories I am eating now - .... It seems pointless to count

I think in order to figure this out, you really, really need to log and track calories and macros. Terms like "a lot" and "plenty" are meaningless. For some people that might mean 40 g, for others it might mean 400 g.

I cannot eat any more calories.

just eat as much food as I can, making sure it is all healthy and nutritionally dense. Each day I eat at least 2 pounds of veggies/fruit (mostly veggies),

I'm just not sure about what to do at this point to keep from losing.

Can't think of more calorie dense foods, except for adding sugar

I can't really change it to make it more at this point.

I have read your Plant Based Diet Thread, and your example menus. It doesn't look to me like you are maximizing our calories. By eating as many veggies as you do, you are not leaving room for more calorie dense food. For example you listed a stew eaten over zoodles. Why not brown rice? There are lots of calorie dense food that aren't sugar. A cup of almonds eaten throughout the day would be easy to fit in, and that is over 800 calories. Honestly, when you're eating Budda Bowls, and then eating squash and broccoli if you have room after, you know that is not how you stop weight loss.

Maybe I need to do the opposite, since increasing calories seems to help a lot of people get past stalls, maybe I need to drastically cut calories and let my metabolism think it is going into starvation mode.

Very small sample size here, but @ms.sss and I both see the scale drop when we eat below our BMR for more than a couple of days. IME, eating less calories would be the opposite of what you need to do. Also, even if this were possible, would you want to purposefully set your BMR low? That seems like a poor strategy long term.

You need to figure out what your approximate BMR is. That is your starting point. You are flying blind until you do so.

2 hours ago, sillykitty said:

You need to figure out what your approximate BMR is. That is your starting point. You are flying blind until you do so.

Agreed.

Edited by ms.sss

I am never going to be able to maintain my weight with the little I eat argghhh
Today I've only had one yogurt, 3 wings, a packet of Protein chips, and a packet of dried seaweed. My plastic surgeon saw me today and said I looked awesome and not *gaunt* like some bypass patients end up.... but I'm on that path. Making turkey brats w/ coleslaw for dinner.< br />
Yesterday I ate straight JUNK knowing I would get sick but it was a lot of calories and I felt desperate in the moment to "stop losing". I did get sick, not shockingly. I'm about to have my plastics so I have GOT to get the cals and protein up for recovery. Big unf. I tried eating some beef veggie Soup my stepdad made that *gasp* had TINY cubes of potato in it and it made me sweaty and nauseous.

Edit: Just reading the few above comments. I DO know my BMR and it's 1350 (give or take). Which is comical since I eat about 600-700 cals tops (and obviously a lot less today).

Edited by mousecat88

Also cleared to go back to the gym in January post-plastics so that'll add to the massive calorie deficit. Buhhhh.

59 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Also cleared to go back to the gym in January post-plastics so that'll add to the massive calorie deficit. Buhhhh.

Well, on the bright side, at least you know why you continue to lose weight (which already puts you ahead of most).

Its up to you if you want to put in a concentrated effort to stop it or not ❤️.

Good Luck!

P.S. And I'm excited for you for your upcoming plastics!

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

Edit: Just reading the few above comments. I DO know my BMR and it's 1350 (give or take). Which is comical since I eat about 600-700 cals tops (and obviously a lot less today).

How did you figure out your BMR?

2 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

I am never going to be able to maintain my weight with the little I eat argghhh
Today I've only had one yogurt, 3 wings, a packet of Protein chips, and a packet of dried seaweed. My plastic surgeon saw me today and said I looked awesome and not *gaunt* like some bypass patients end up.... but I'm on that path. Making turkey brats w/ coleslaw for dinner.< br />
Yesterday I ate straight JUNK knowing I would get sick but it was a lot of calories and I felt desperate in the moment to "stop losing". I did get sick, not shockingly. I'm about to have my plastics so I have GOT to get the cals and Protein up for recovery. Big unf. I tried eating some beef veggie Soup my stepdad made that *gasp* had TINY cubes of potato in it and it made me sweaty and nauseous.

Are you taking those fancy carb blockers you (or someone) posted about awhile ago?

I think I remember reading it helps with the effects of how carbs react in your system.

Edited by GreenTealael

Okay so serious question her guys:
I’m now 152.4 (GW was 155) and I’m toying around with the idea of losing another 5-7 pounds before calling it quits.

I’ve had this idea for a couple of weeks, but didn’t know if it was something I should proceed with
It feels so wonderful to be in maintenance, and part of me doesn’t want to go back to “almost there”

So here is a pic I took today.
I’m wearing the same dress as I was less than 2 months ago when I weighed 11 pounds more.
I know for sure those numbers bc I checked my weight log against the pics.

Seeing this difference in me makes my inner narcissist think about losing more.
Do you guys think I will look “too skinny” if I lose another 10?
Is it even feasible to lose >100% excess fat?

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

12 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

I think you look great. You looked great 11lbs ago too. :), you will likely still look great 5-7 lbs from now.

The real question is do YOU think you will look too skinny.

And yeah, its totally feasible to lose 100% of excess fat. Remember excess fat is based on an arbitrary goal weight set prior to weight loss. Some make that goal weight relatively high, others make it relatively low.

Whatever the case, congrats on your all your success! You look fab :)

@Sheribear68

First off, you look fab!

Yes! Myself and @FluffyChix & @ms.sss & @Healthy_life2 & many other in this thread are proof.

I’m now 152.4 (GW was 155) and I’m toying around with the idea of losing another 5-7 pounds before calling it quits.

I'm not sure if we are 100% in control of where we finally end up. I know that I dropped 15 lbs below my goal weight without trying, due to my restriction. I now fluctuate 10-13 lbs blow that initial goal, and have maintained here, without really trying, for 9 months.

Nope, but you didn't look too heavy 11 lbs ago either! This is such a personal decision, everyone feels comfortable in their own skin at a different weight/BMI/body fat. What feels right for YOU? Also, you can't know how you will look -5 lbs unless you lose those 5 lbs. And on top of that, once you settle at a weight, your body will continue to settle and readjust. So, who knows, and since so much is out of our control, does it even kinda matter?

21 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Okay so serious question her guys:

I’ve had this idea for a couple of weeks, but didn’t know if it was something I should proceed with
It feels so wonderful to be in maintenance, and part of me doesn’t want to go back to “almost there”

So here is a pic I took today.
I’m wearing the same dress as I was less than 2 months ago when I weighed 11 pounds more.
I know for sure those numbers bc I checked my weight log against the pics.

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

300px-Narcissus-Caravaggio_(1594-96)_edited.jpg.59a8da3bd680d104388e269d6592cdfc.jpg

Narcissus painted by one of my favourite old masters Caravaggio

The choice is absolutely yours 💙

But another question most people only consider later is do you have great skin elasticity or a budget for/desire to have plastics

5 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Agreed.

Ok, my calculated BMR is 1534. I will be expending about 1000 calories on my bike tomorrow so that means I need to eat 2500 cal. Sheesh, that's a lot.