Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rate of loss 0-6 months, and maximizing the honeymoon period

I know comparison is the thief of joy, but lately I've been feeling like I failed to maximize my "honeymoon period" by not loosing enough weight in the first 6 months post-op.

I started my journey at 236lbs, and was 217 on surgery day. I'll be 6 months post-op on 5/6 and I currently weigh 172lbs. Mostly I'm thrilled with the progress as like most others I've been unable to get the scale to budge in many years. But recently in a Facebook group, several members shared jaw-dropping losses at their 6 month mark, and no, they weren't a lot heavier than me at their starting weight (I understand that the more you have to lose, the bigger those initial losses are, but I'm talking about people roughly my size).

I have my 6 month appointment coming up and I definitely plan to troubleshoot. There's always room to improve, but I'm worried that I missed the boat on the honeymoon phase. I routinely use my kitchen scale, and I track everything using the baritastic app, which is connected to my doctor's office so the nutritionists can see what I'm eating. I really like that accountability. I will admit that I do at times fall short of my Protein goal (60g per day), I sometimes exceed my carb goal (60g total or less each day) and I do frequently fall short on hydration. I average 600-800 calories per day, and have only exceeded 1000 on 5 days (all of those were still under 1100 calories). I will also admit that my exercise program falls far short of what it could be, so there are definitely things I can do to tighten up. I have been in a stall for at least 2 weeks now, and I felt like I was mostly on track, but after seeing what my peers have accomplished, I'm starting to panic. Am I way behind? What did your first 6 months look like as far as weight loss?

Did you continue to lose weight after 6 months? I've seen a lot of threads where people report that their weight loss hit the brakes at 6 months post-op. I really want to do everything I can to maximize my weight loss and succeed on my journey.

1 hour ago, BypassBessie said:

I know comparison is the thief of joy, but lately I've been feeling like I failed to maximize my "honeymoon period" by not loosing enough weight in the first 6 months post-op.

I started my journey at 236lbs, and was 217 on surgery day. I'll be 6 months post-op on 5/6 and I currently weigh 172lbs. Mostly I'm thrilled with the progress as like most others I've been unable to get the scale to budge in many years. But recently in a Facebook group, several members shared jaw-dropping losses at their 6 month mark, and no, they weren't a lot heavier than me at their starting weight (I understand that the more you have to lose, the bigger those initial losses are, but I'm talking about people roughly my size).

I have my 6 month appointment coming up and I definitely plan to troubleshoot. There's always room to improve, but I'm worried that I missed the boat on the honeymoon phase. I routinely use my kitchen scale, and I track everything using the baritastic app, which is connected to my doctor's office so the nutritionists can see what I'm eating. I really like that accountability. I will admit that I do at times fall short of my Protein goal (60g per day), I sometimes exceed my carb goal (60g total or less each day) and I do frequently fall short on hydration. I average 600-800 calories per day, and have only exceeded 1000 on 5 days (all of those were still under 1100 calories). I will also admit that my exercise program falls far short of what it could be, so there are definitely things I can do to tighten up. I have been in a stall for at least 2 weeks now, and I felt like I was mostly on track, but after seeing what my peers have accomplished, I'm starting to panic. Am I way behind? What did your first 6 months look like as far as weight loss?

Did you continue to lose weight after 6 months? I've seen a lot of threads where people report that their weight loss hit the brakes at 6 months post-op. I really want to do everything I can to maximize my weight loss and succeed on my journey.

You’re not alone in how you feel right now. Many of us have compared weight loss, experience stalls and felt we were not where we should be. Time to stop doing this and focus on working on yourself.

Are you way behind?

No, we all lose weight at different rates. If you are following your plan and your loss is slow its fine. If there is room for improvement, then make changes.

What did my first six months look like?

It does not matter. What does matter is following your plan and getting the most out of your first year. You have six more months to go. You have evaluated what your first six months and decided to tighten things up. That all any of us can do is strive to improve.

Did you continue to lose weight after six months?

Yes, for most of us weight loss slows down as you progress. You are trouble shooting this new phase. I also want you to know, I can still lose weight five years out from surgery. When I have a ten-pound gain, I go back to bariatric basics and bring my weight back down.

Keep us updated,

If you have not read embrace the stall yet – Here it is.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/351046-embrace-the-stall/

I've had to stop the comparison thing because I can't compete and it just makes me feel bad. I can only keep doing my best and keep doing what I'm doing and eventually that stupid scale is going to move downward some more.

Yep Im a slow loser too. I quit my Facebook groups because I was tired of seeing people lose WAY more than me. But screw it...I am in way better shape than I was and if it takes me longer I'll have to live with it as long as I reach goal eventually. I can confidently say that working out at the gym is helping a lot in terms of my stall and getting the scale moving again. Also 600-800 seems very low!! Are you really sure about that? You should be on more calories by now. My nutritionist said because Im going to the gym 5 days a week i can have up to 1300 and still lose but we both know I'm not going to be able to do that so Im probably consuming around 800-1000. I dont really track it because Im trying to just eat super clean and very high Protein. No processed foods, nothing out of bags and boxes. Just veggies, fruits and limited amounts of meat and cheese. I'm happy that I'm finally losing again. I really think you are eating too little and your body is holding onto your calories for dear life. Also...gotta get moving. It helps so much!

On 5/3/2019 at 1:55 PM, BypassBessie said:

Ok, so let's get down to brass tacks. We all have to deal with our biggest ally and dementor during this process. Hello Self? I'd like to introduce you to Self. We are our own biggest help and hindrance in this process. But, the morale never improves with more severe beatings. Right? So acknowledge your feelings then set them on the curb for the recycling truck. OK?

Now, let's look at your 1st 6 months and evaluate. Right?

You are 5'4" and on surgery day weighed in at 236lbs.

Your ideal weight is 120lbs (as defined by your surgeon, RD, and the ASMBS).

On morning of surgery your Excess Body Weight was 116lbs. That means you have "theoretically" 116 extra pounds packed on your body.

Today you weigh 172 lbs.

EBW Lost in 1st 6 months: 236-172 lbs = 64lbs

(64lbs/116lbs)-100 = 45% of Weight Lost of Total EBW

You can see that puts you in about the 35-40% Percentile

nihms394622f2.jpg.1b74ae59c5a9335a4b5faa09146b01f0.jpg.5c41207e9b509cbc2d417712550ec200.jpg

You can choose how to reframe this situation. You could say you are in the lower 1/2 of the population per the NIH chart. But why? Cuz that's just stinking thinking. Instead. Reframe. You are VERY close to having lost 50% of your EBW!

Look at this chart from a source I can't remember:

expectedwtloss-IMG_1419.thumb.JPG.da0d0c680f610beb22292e5b14738d5a.JPG.7478961cabe363a4fd3764e53da9fac5.JPG

According to this chart, you're above average! :) Cheers! Congrats!!! Mazels!!!! You're doing great! Celebrate yourself positively! :)

But even more importantly, you had a learning curve that caught you unawares in the first 6 months and I bet you know how you are gonna make changes. Make changes. I encourage you. You still have 1 year left on your "technical honeymoon" period. Go grab the bull by the horns and make it your little bi*ch! And beyond that honeymoon, just look at Jenn and all the other long term success vets here and abroad!!! You can maintain!!! You CAN lose weight after the honeymoon.

Maximize every day that you can from here on out! Excellent plan! Congrats on losing 64lbs!!!

Edited by FluffyChix

On 5/3/2019 at 11:55 AM, BypassBessie said:

walk and exercise is you friend at this point and get all the Protein you an get in stay away from the bad carbs is my suggestion and then hydrate then walk more