Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sickness and dehydration after surgery

I had my surgery..gastric sleeve on 3/18/19. I have barely been able to stomach applesauce. I've tried foods based on my bariatric timeline but nothing seems to work long term. Im basically living on ice Water. Everything causes discomfort, gas, pain, or diarrhea. Now im having some abdominal pain upper left side. I know im dehydrated due to my lack of water consumption but i get physically sick when i try to drink to much. I am beginning to regret that i did this. 😭 can anyone shed some light on these issues?

So see your surgeon asap. If you can't, go to the ER. Good luck and I hope you get help soon and feel better.

Edited by JessLess

I agree. Contact your surgeon ASAP . They may or may not direct you to go to the ER but you need the opinion of a healthcare professional. Good luck and keep us posted.

Same, my surgeon said the second the pee is orange, call him asap, if it happens. I've been fortunate enough to stay hydrated using Water flavorings to keep me drinking. the best so far has been the powdered propel.

Good luck and call your Dr ASAP!!!

Well guys i was in so much pain i went to the ER friday night. They kept me until early Saturday morning of course I was dehydrated so they gave me two bags of Fluid they also did a cat-scan and there were no apparent issues that they could see. I also have a kidney infection. They sent me home with antibiotics and pain meds. Both are so big i can barely swallow. Then the antibiotic doesnt do well with the zofran (nausea med) so i cant take them together. Still not tolerating anything well. Just got a couple of spoons of cream of chicken Soup to stay down but even it tasted gross. Nothing tastes good anymore. 😭😭😢 i go to a follow up appt with my surgeon tomorrow. Hope i dont have to get a feeding tube or anything. And i guess trying to look on the bright side.. im down 60 pounds 🤷‍♀️. 25 during my 2 week liquid pre-op and the other 35 since surgery.

I doubt you will need a feeding tube, but maybe more IV fluids. I swallow big pills with Protein Shakes or Tomato juice, the thicker liquid makes it easier. Good luck!

I’m glad they got those fluids in you!! Sorry for the kidney infection but glad they’re treating that as well. Tell your surgeon ALL of your symptoms and concerns. I’m terrible about not sharing ALL the details and you never know when that one little thing you share is going to give them insight into what’s going on. Good luck , rest up and keep us posted 😎

1 hour ago, DanaC84 said:

I’m glad they got those fluids in you!! Sorry for the kidney infection but glad they’re treating that as well. Tell your surgeon ALL of your symptoms and concerns. I’m terrible about not sharing ALL the details and you never know when that one little thing you share is going to give them insight into what’s going on. Good luck , rest up and keep us posted 😎

Good point. Writing them down before the appointment helps.

I had my surgery..gastric sleeve on 3/18/19. I have barely been able to stomach applesauce. I've tried foods based on my bariatric timeline but nothing seems to work long term. Im basically living on ice Water. Everything causes discomfort, gas, pain, or diarrhea. Now im having some abdominal pain upper left side. I know im dehydrated due to my lack of Water consumption but i get physically sick when i try to drink to much. I am beginning to regret that i did this. can anyone shed some light on these issues?
I encourage you to schedule a visit with your surgeon ASAP!

Update everyone...first of all thanks for all of the positive feedback. I actually went back into the hospital on Monday. All of my Vitamin levels were low and I will still extremely dehydrated. They ended up giving me more fluids with all of the Vitamins added. They could not find any usable veins since i was so dehydrated so after what felt like a thousand attempts... they were able to get my IV started with the use of an ultrasound machine. I feel a thousand times better today. I hope to never be in that situation again. Im taking alllll of my vitamins as scheduled and ive actually been able to keep down some things like small pieces of fruit, baby food, approx. 2 to 3 teaspoons of oatmel and about 40 ounces of Water throughout the day 😊😁😎😍 i hope my good days are here to stay