Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deliberately eating to much

Need some support/advice please. Had VSG on January 7, 2019. I’m 63 years and I’ve lost 33 pounds. I know it isn’t going to come off as quickly as those that are younger but it’s a struggle every day, as I’m sure many of you feel. Feels like I plateau for 2-3 weeks and then have a week where I lose 2 - 3 pounds. My question, concern is that I’m finding I don’t take little bites anymore, I’m devouring food and then I DELIBERATELY make myself throw up! This only happens at dinner time but I’m finding I’m doing it every day. Any support you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hmmm. Is there a therapist you can talk to about this food-disordered behavior? It is a slippery slope, and I'd like to see you get it under control before it extends to other meals as well. As a former anorexic/purger, I know what it's like to eat and then make yourself throw up. Please get help! Best wishes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh man, definitely get a therapist. In fact, talk to your surgeon to find one who specializes in bariatric patients. This is something you want to nip in the bud ASAP.

While you're finding a therapist, try to do some work to figure out WHY you're doing this. "Mindful eating" could be a good way to slow yourself down and analyze what your motivations are here. Are you trying to "keep up" with other people at the table? Are you misjudging how much of each course you can eat and then stubbornly continuing to eat because you've only had a partial meal? Are you chasing the high you used to get from overeating?

It could be any of those, all of those, none of those - but clearly you know this isn't a good pattern, so therapy + self-reflection is something you can start doing right now. Our teeth already have a rough enough time of it post-surgery without attacking them with stomach acid.

I am 61 and almost a year out. I too have struggled with slow losses but in my case it is more a result of eating and drinking too many calories. I still do feel a lot of restriction and tend to eat too fast but I have only thrown up once since surgery. I think you are just getting too full too fast and that is the problem. However, what is going on with you can damage your esophagus and teeth so please get it sorted out. I also tend eat most of my calories in the evening.

When I eat dinner I use a salad plate and put all the food I intend to eat on it at one time. Protein and vegetables. I do not do well with lettuce but spinach in a salad is okay. I eat the protein first and then the vegetables just until I feel the first pressure of being full. Then I stop and wait at least 30 minutes before drinking anything. I find low carb recipes that we like and eat the same things a lot.

I agree that you should discuss your issues with a therapist but you can break this pattern and it is very important that you do so. Good luck!!

Yikes! So it's good you recognize this is a problem. :( That's the first step. Now what to do?

As everyone's said, you MUST talk to your surgeon. You just do.

Second, weigh, measure and log every morsel that goes in your mouth. If you need 70g of Protein for the day divide that between 3 meals + 1-2 small protein or veggie snack. ONLY measure/weigh out the amount of food needed for that meal. And as @MIZ60 said, only put the portion you can eat on the plate. When it's done, you're done until the next meal. I know, easier said than done but you can do it.

Choose low cook, low reward foods for meals for the next couple of weeks. The idea is to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible, and think about food as little as possible. If it were me, here would be my plan--I would buy a rotisserie chicken and eat on it all week and use the bones for Bone Broth. That way you don't need to worry about cooking at night except to microwave some veg. Are you eating 1/2c food or 3/4c food by volume?

B-2 eggs + 1tsp olive oil (cooked any way you want)

1 turkey sausage

1oz baby spinach wilted in pan where you cooked your egg

L-2oz tuna Pouch

1oz cottage cheese

1 tsp Dijon mustard

1tsp dill relish

spices

1 lettuce leaf (to wrap it in)

AS-1/2c Greek Yogurt (plain

1/4c frozen blueberries

7 drops liquid stevia

D-2oz rotisserie chicken

1oz broccoli (microwaved)

1oz avocado

1/2oz grape tomatoes

BS-1tbsp almond butter (or 14g almonds)

Try to use tiny saucers, tiny forks and spoons, and eat as dense a protein and al dente veg that you tolerate. Stay very well hydrated during the day, but 15minutes before you meal, drink an entire 8-12oz glass of Water. Drink 3/4 of it as quickly as possible, then sip the remaining until full. Stop at 15 minutes. Then do not drink anything for 2 hours after your meal. This is called water loading. It helps with satiety tremendously.

See if this helps.

You need to talk to the behavioral therapist at your surgeon's office because it sounds like you have an eating disorder. You went through all of this surgery to have a happier healthier lifestyle, so you need to follow the program. Please take care.

I agree re. the therapist part but I would recommend getting smaller utensils. You can go to a dollar store and buy tiny disposable spoons and forks meant for appetizers. Then portion out your food- measure everything!! Early on I even took a bite, played a game on my phone or watched 3 min of TV then took another bite. That made it take 45 min. to eat just 1 egg. That built the habit of eating slowly. Maybe try that.

14 hours ago, caryla said:

Need some support/advice please. Had VSG on January 7, 2019. I’m 63 years and I’ve lost 33 pounds. I know it isn’t going to come off as quickly as those that are younger but it’s a struggle every day, as I’m sure many of you feel. Feels like I plateau for 2-3 weeks and then have a week where I lose 2 - 3 pounds. My question, concern is that I’m finding I don’t take little bites anymore, I’m devouring food and then I DELIBERATELY make myself throw up! This only happens at dinner time but I’m finding I’m doing it every day. Any support you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi!

Are you doing this to speed up weightloss?

I agree with everyone above about working with your Team & a Therapist to get this solved soon before it goes too far.

Good luck 💜

Edited by GreenTealael

Thank you all for your suggestions. I agree most with Mz60. I do eat small meals, use a salad plate and eat with a baby fork and spoon. I just eat way to fast! I will give my surgeon a call and what advice he can offer.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, caryla said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I agree most with Mz60. I do eat small meals, use a salad plate and eat with a baby fork and spoon. I just eat way to fast! I will give my surgeon a call and what advice he can offer.

Also look into overeaters anonymous meetings. They have them in person and online. It will help I’m tremendously in conjunction with a therapist and talking to your surgeon. Best of luck!