Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon post surgery did you have a BM?

I'm a week post surgery, and of course am only taking in fluids, so I'm not sure how soon I should expect to have a BM. I don't feel constipated, but wonder... also, if taking in only Protein Shakes, should I expect diarrhea? Thanks for your advice on this subject!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

So my first BM was 2 days after surgery and it was pasty, not diarrhea. During the liquid diet, all my BMs were pasty. Once I started step 2, they became normal again.

Just make sure to drink plenty of Water to stay regular.

took me 4 to 5 days afterwards, but I was prescribed Miralax starting as soon as I got home. Only drinking shakes won't cause diarrhea because your digestive tract secretes waste that makes it solid. No issues after my first one. Just the size and quantity is much less then pre-op.

I had regular, albeit very small, bowel movements starting the day I got home from the hospital, 2 days post-op.

7 hours ago, Briswife15 said:

I'm a week post surgery, and of course am only taking in fluids, so I'm not sure how soon I should expect to have a BM. I don't feel constipated, but wonder... also, if taking in only Protein Shakes, should I expect diarrhea? Thanks for your advice on this subject!!

My first was 8 days post surgery, 10 days since my last one. I was getting nervous!

I'm feeling more normal!! Thanks, folks! Hoping the Miralax works. I'm afraid to take a full dose because I'm only on day 7 post op, and don't know if my pouch can handle it.

I started to get constipated. Once I took a stool softener that made a world of difference. I'm eight weeks post-op and am doing really great! I'm eating solid foods and drinking two Protein Shakes per day. My dietician was right when she said in about three months you're going to be so glad you made this decision. I didn't have to wait that long. I'm 40 pounds down from my 311 starting point with a goal weight of 175-185lbs.

I’ve had 2 I’m about a week out from surgery.

I think it took about 3 or 4 days. What I'm using now that really works is a Fiber supplement. I buy it at Walmart (Psyllium) for about $4.00 or so. Works like a charm.

8 days for me