Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deathly afraid of death!

Laying in the Operating Waiting Room with three other women, I was cracking jokes, but inside I was screaming "let's get this thing started!"

The anesthesiologist in the OR Waiting Room was an older man than the guy I had previously met with and this one was a real jokester--so when I saw the "real" anesthesiologist in the Operating Room before I went under, I said to him "I'm so-o-o glad it's you in here!" (I didn't want jokes any more...)

Everyone has to consider "what if I don't wake up on earth" when they go under--and we all came out okay... :P

I feel the same way... So strange, because I have had lots of surgery before. For some reason I guess I feel like this one is somewhat voluntary and think because of that something will go wrong??? It is really scray. I hate this feeling!

I've a several surgeries and this surgery by far was the easiest....the death issue never concerned me until you have to sign the papers before surgery !

BUT, just think of the long term and how much healthier you will be and live longer because of it ...that makes it all worth it.

Good luck !

I am so glad to read about how your anxiety caused you over eat for 6 - 8 wks prior to your surgery because I am going thru the same thing...I am nervous and eating a lot more than I normally would, and that's a lot more. It's a little frightening, I don't want to gain more weight! I know I'm doing the right thing, I just wish it was already over. I have another 6 weeks before the big date.

ladies, I want to thank all of you for being so honest, I dont even have a date yet, (sometime mid-Dec) and I had a panic attack on the way to my last requirement. thankfully this nervousness has not made me very hungry. can they cancel if they think you are to emotional. I even get teary eyed reading some of these forums:cry

SC

not yet banded

Emotions are most likely the cause that got us to this point in the first, so I'd be surprised if they didn't do your op because of your anxiety. Remember once they stick the need in, you're out like a light so you don't have enough time to get into a full blown panic attack. Why don't you call your dr's office and speak to them... at least they will tell you from experience what will happen.

You have a very valid fear. The odds are on your side, but there is alway the possibility of death. On the other hand, staying very heavily obese WILL result in a early death for you. Pick your poison, and best of luck.

Funny for me. I've had seven surgeries (3 c-sections, 1 hernia repair, 2 knee surgeries, and a gall bladder removal). Never, ever entered my mind that I could die. But for some reason, this one is really getting to me. Maybe because I think of it as elective surgery ? I don't know. If I dBut I'm worried about it, too. I wish it was over already. Trying to stay positive, but I think, "what would keep me from being that 1 in 1,000? Somebody has to be that 1, right?" Trying to stop those thoughts.

I am right there with you:help: i cant get rid of this HUGE fear.

Hey guys! I suffer from panic attacks and I was so nervous that you can't imagine. I had butterflies in my stomach for two weeks. It was terrible. Before surgery I was medicated,but still so tense.

But something weird has happened, I haven't felt panicky since surgery and I'm so calm, it's amazing. I'm taking everything so calmly. Maybe it's the lack of caffeine. LOL

It is scary, especially if you haven't had surgery before. I've had serious anxiety and this is hard for me. The images of the before and after pix everywhere helps a lot. I can see myself there.

You bet I am affraid of dying, yes there is the risk. But if I don't do this now, I will end up dead for sure sooner then later. At least I die trying then don't try at all. The way I see it, I have more chances of living if I have the lap band done then If I don't, and I will. January first half :)

yes me too. i get banded on November 24th and i have done my will and am constantly thinking about If I Should Die, but if i dont have this op i will die sooner than later and thats for sure. It's reasuring to know most people had the same thoughts at some stage

<p>And if that were to happen.......? Your point is?????? Do you get up every morning and fear you will be hit by a bus and killed in the way to work (or school)? Do you enter a swimming pool figuring you have a 50-50 chance of drowning before you get out? Do you aniticipate someone breaking into your house in the middle of the night and shooting you dead? Do you hide in a closet when it rains because you might get struck by lightening and killed? You could die on an operating table, on a street corner, at home in your bed in your 90's... However, that being said, you are in capable professional hands of people who study and work YEARS and YEARS to perfect the skills they have. These aren't just sckmucks off the street digging around in your gut. They do this day in and day out, like you or I might use a computer, or cook a meal, or Iron a shirt. It is a skill learned and practiced and honed to perfection. Contingencies are covered. Is this about fear of death or fear of losing control? They are silly fears...and we all have them from time to time, no matter how idiotic they feel. Let's just say that the odds are REALLY with you that things will come out FINE.!</p>

Well, 16 hours till my surgery, and I am a nervous wreck! Everyone has really valid points thou. I could get hit by a bus on my way there, who knows. I had to laugh at some of your stories too. The first time I had anesthesia for my endoscopy, I woke up totally loopy. I was giving everyone the thumps up while they wheeled me down the hall on the stretcher to recovery and just laughing about everything. I am still a mess thou from being nervous and so anxious. I paid all my bills for the next month so god-forbid anything happens, my fiancé wouldn't have to worry about it for a little while. Sick, I know. I wish they would have given me something to take the edge off this anxiety thou! Good luck to everyone!!