Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deathly afraid of death!

Hey Eclipse--you know what, tomorrow will come and the time will just FLY BY!

Before you know it you'll be home and recuperating,--then suddenly it'll be time for your first fill, especially since the hectic holiday season is upon us.

Faith will bring you through--and you'll be back on this board telling us ALL about your adventures in Lap Band Land, just like the rest of us!!! :)

Thanks Make. These past few weeks since I got my date have flown by, and I am sure tomorrow will be no different! Only 12 hours left now!! LOL

Good luck with your surgery Eclipse, keep in touch! I'm sure we all get a little anxious as it gets closer to the time, but I'm sure you'll do just fine. Take good care.

I was deathly afraid of death and that's why I had the surgery!

Chances of dying from increased weight resulting in heart disease, diabetes, cancer . . . too darn high.

Chances of dying from the surgery . . . pretty darn slim.

I know that may not help your immediate fear of surgery, but it sure made it an easy decision for me.

I think my husband was more worried about this than I was, especially since he called it an "elective surgery". I told him if I didn't get control of my weight, my elective was to die. Once he met my surgeon and talked with him and found out how experienced he was and had never lost a patient he was fine. So fine, in fact, he spent my entire time in the hospital by my side...playing Call of Duty 4 on MY laptop!!!

I woke up knowing I was QUITE alive...with a screaming kid in post-op a few feet away...I think the first thing I said was "too loud" to the nurse, and he laughed and gave me a pain killer. It's all good!

I was banded last Friday, and have lost 10 lbs as of yesterday at noon, just 96 hours after the surgery. Hang in there. You're worth it!

Had my surgery on Monday (19th) and I'm still alive!!! Lot of pain in port site, shortness of breath and also had an infiltration of my IV so they had to move it. The arm is grossly swollen and just as sore as my port site. I was not happy

Yay!! I am alive also!!! I am feeling ok, alittle nausea last night, but mostly caused by the amount of pills they have me on, and all the Water it takes to get them down. I am also sore at my port site, which I am assuming is the largest of the 5 incisions. They other ones I hardly feel at all. I do have a huge bruise on my upper arm from all the shots they where giving my post-op. That swelling has already gone down, along with some of the pain. All the gas has passed as far as I can tell.

We are on our way there!! Good luck to everyone!!

when i expressed my fears of death to the doc, he said that the death doesn't happen on the table, it would happen from complications afterwards... i think we were talking about bypass then, but i think the same probably goes for lap, but at a lesser risk... and he then reassured me he's never had a death. make sure you've got a great doc, and that they'll be there for your aftercare.

I thought of those things too. But I told God in the waiting room, if you want me, I'm ready...I accepted Jesus as Savior when I was 9...I don't want to die mind you, but I made peace whith God a long time ago. I am sure for heaven, not because of who I am, but because of whose I am. Grace was extended to me when I cried out to God and accepted His free gift of salvation. I am not my own, I have been bought with a price! The price of God's own Son dying for me on Calvary. So even though there was a fear, I was at peace because I had made my peace. I wouldn't want to undergo anestesia without know what would happen if I didn't wake up.

Dying on the table is my #1 fear. But, this is how I look at it. I'm getting banded on January 21. With the weight I'm at now, chances are I'm going to end up in the hospital on the OR table in a emergency-type situation due to a heart attack or stroke or, a controlled situation like having the band placed. I'm definately picking the controlled situation with the surgeon that knows me well and a team of people ready to take care of a bariatric patient.

Hope this helps.

I fully believe that when your time comes, you will die regardless of your circumstances. I had a friend who was very negative and told me of someone she knew who knew someone who had died of complications. I assured her that if I died, she could stand up at my funeral and say, "well, it was her time to go". And, over three weeks later, I'm still ALIVE!!!

Wayne, I have no say in what you believe - but when you write on this board and say that you know you're going to heaven because you are Jesus' person, that's really insulting to anyone of any different faith, and quite preposterous. Believe what you want to believe and have whatever faith you'd like, that is fine and wonderful especially if it gives you comfort but do NOT push it on other people or say that others that haven't "accepted Jesus" will go to hell, which is what is inferred by saying because you have, you'll go to heaven.

candy, I disagree with you. There are many circumstances where people go when they didn't have to. I don't like the term 'before their time' because it's insanely sad when someone dies at 90 or 100... but there are many factors when someone lives or dies. One of these is who is your doctor... two people could be exactly the same and go on the table at exactly the same time, and one has a bad doctor and one has a good... so it is the one's time to go that has a bad doctor? No, it's the doctor's fault. Or like, people who died in the holocaust, it was their time to go?

Maybe I'm getting too much involved for a board that is supposed to just be helpful, but Candy's & Wayne's comments really upset me. I am glad both Candy and Wayne are healthy and doing well.

CRACKED PEPPER:

Sorry, but I have to respond.

The thread poster expressed her fears of dying in surgery. Wayne ( and many others) responded on how HE got through it. Wayne did not say everyone else should believe as he believes and he definitely did NOT say everyone else was going to Hell.

The forum is here for support and for people to get lots of responses because sometimes ONE person's answers is not good enough to connect with the person posting the thread. With many responses, there are bound to be one or two that really connect to the OP.

You have the right to believe in any faith you want and to talk about it and so does Wayne!

Shortgal - I have no problem with Wayne talking about his faith, that's fine... I have a problem with him saying that he is going to heaven because of whose he is... which DOES infer, as I explained, that others would not be going to heaven...