Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heartburn 2 months post op?

I am only a couple months out, but my first 8 weeks I was on pantoprazole to help with staple line healing. After 8 weeks they stop but I immediately started to get heartburn that kept me up all night and I couldn't eat anything because it hurt.

I had never had heartburn before surgery. I am back on the pantoprazole for a few months, and I am hoping I can try to ween myself off slowly and get to a place where I don't need to depend on it.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? Did your reflux get better?

This was one of my biggest concerns with getting wls was reflux. I am scared I am going to need a revision

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I am only a couple months out, but my first 8 weeks I was on pantoprazole to help with staple line healing. After 8 weeks they stop but I immediately started to get heartburn that kept me up all night and I couldn't eat anything because it hurt.
I had never had heartburn before surgery. I am back on the pantoprazole for a few months, and I am hoping I can try to ween myself off slowly and get to a place where I don't need to depend on it.
Has anyone else had a similar situation? Did your reflux get better?
This was one of my biggest concerns with getting wls was reflux. I am scared I am going to need a revision [emoji20]

I am currently going thru the same thing and I am 7 weeks post op...i have to take protonix twice a day... It has gotten way better the past week. My doctor said it will get better I hope so for both ouf our sake ..... I definitely feel ur pain

miss.carter

I am currently going thru the same thing and I am 7 weeks post op...i have to take protonix twice a day... It has gotten way better the past week. My doctor said it will get better I hope so for both ouf our sake ..... I definitely feel ur pain

miss.carter

Oh my gosh I felt so alone. Not that I am happy your dealing with it too haha, But yes not fun at all!
I was so scared of this issue. But my doctor also said it should get better but I am a nervous wreck!
That was awful and I never want to deal with it again!
All the positive thoughts our way!
I had a couple people tell me that stopped cold turkey can be alot worse and that they started weening off it by going to one every other day for 2 weeks and then one every 3rd day until they are gone to kind of ease your body back into it.

What mg are you taking? Just out of curiosity I was on one 40mg a day and while I was taking it I was fine. But the second day without it all hell broke loose literally.

Oh my gosh I felt so alone. Not that I am happy your dealing with it too haha, But yes not fun at all!

I was so scared of this issue. But my doctor also said it should get better but I am a nervous wreck!

That was awful and I never want to deal with it again!

All the positive thoughts our way!

I had a couple people tell me that stopped cold turkey can be alot worse and that they started weening off it by going to one every other day for 2 weeks and then one every 3rd day until they are gone to kind of ease your body back into it.

What mg are you taking? Just out of curiosity I was on one 40mg a day and while I was taking it I was fine. But the second day without it all hell broke loose literally.

Yea I take 40 mg one in the morning and one at night. The pain was so bad I woke up with a sore throat last week. I am going to take them til this bottle runs out I do not want to feel that pain anymore.

miss.carter

Yea I take 40 mg one in the morning and one at night. The pain was so bad I woke up with a sore throat last week. I am going to take them til this bottle runs out I do not want to feel that pain anymore.miss.carter
Girl me either my pain was so bad I couldn't even sleep. It kept waking me up. It was so awful. I never knew what heartburn felt like but I sure do now.
Well fingers crossed for us both! I would definitely try to cut your dose slowly if you can I think it will help a lot!

Girl me either my pain was so bad I couldn't even sleep. It kept waking me up. It was so awful. I never knew what heartburn felt like but I sure do now.
Well fingers crossed for us both! I would definitely try to cut your dose slowly if you can I think it will help a lot!

I think I will cut my dose eventually but this is the only way I can even eat without it coming back up. But we gonna get thru this. Fingers crossed ASAP

miss.carter

I am 6 months post op and I was on pantoprazole until roughly 15 weeks out taking it twice a day from about week 10-15. Once I was completely off it the reflux was triggered with just about everything. I think its most due in part to the sleeve kind of being in shock of solid foods and is adjusting to in-taking it. I has gotten significantly better since that initial shock phase but it is still there at a more calm state depending on many factors. Such as what I have eaten, the position my upper body is in, and whether I chewed well. I find that moving after eating or simply taking a halftime during my meal helps a lot. Just sitting there after meal doesn't do my digestive process any good because lets face it, not many of use have perfect posture to promote the easiest path of travel for our food down the digestive track. Some remedies I use to reduce the reflux/hearburn are to eat my meal with a side of pickled ginger or ginger root tea 30/45 minutes after my meal. Laying down after a meal is a no go for me because I find to use gravity to my advantage for digestion. No medications and barely any antiacids required, I focus on vegetables and Proteins cooked without oils that make it harder to digest. It's all a give and take to figure out what you can tolerate and make those good decisions because your sleeve will let you know if it is not comfortable with your food choice.

I think I will cut my dose eventually but this is the only way I can even eat without it coming back up. But we gonna get thru this. Fingers crossed ASAP

miss.carter

Oh yeah I don't mean right now haha I mean in a few months like when you decide to stop taking it [emoji4]
I feel you girl I couldn't eat anything and it was awwwffuuuulllll.

I am 6 months post op and I was on pantoprazole until roughly 15 weeks out taking it twice a day from about week 10-15. Once I was completely off it the reflux was triggered with just about everything. I think its most due in part to the sleeve kind of being in shock of solid foods and is adjusting to in-taking it. I has gotten significantly better since that initial shock phase but it is still there at a more calm state depending on many factors. Such as what I have eaten, the position my upper body is in, and whether I chewed well. I find that moving after eating or simply taking a halftime during my meal helps a lot. Just sitting there after meal doesn't do my digestive process any good because lets face it, not many of use have perfect posture to promote the easiest path of travel for our food down the digestive track. Some remedies I use to reduce the reflux/hearburn are to eat my meal with a side of pickled ginger or ginger root tea 30/45 minutes after my meal. Laying down after a meal is a no go for me because I find to use gravity to my advantage for digestion. No medications and barely any antiacids required, I focus on vegetables and Proteins cooked without oils that make it harder to digest. It's all a give and take to figure out what you can tolerate and make those good decisions because your sleeve will let you know if it is not comfortable with your food choice.
I am glad to hear you found some things that help that are not medication!
I definitely don't want to take this forever. I am going to make an effort to not eat or drink anything 2 hours before bedtime and going to watch my fat intake.
Interesting pickled ginger huh?
When I decide to go back off it I am going to lower my dosage slowly and definitely get in the habit of eating and drinking earlier.
I always find myself trying to get my Water and last Vitamins in right before bed and that probably isn't helping!

I am almost three months out and just now ran out of pepcid AC. my doctor told me to stop taking it by end of 3rd month which will be feb 8th. I was taking them twice a day and then stopped after a month and i felt the heartburn, i was told i was to take it for 3 months. Last month i dropped it to once a day and have been fine. I am going to go the weekend without it and see if heartburn comes back and if so will go get some more- heres to hoping that now there is no more swelling, i dont need it anymore.

I used to take Omeprazole for GERD but when I had to stop taking it for two weeks for the H Pylori test, I wasn't having any, so I quit taking it. So I quit taking it for two months before surgery and thought I was "cured." Then after the sleeve I started getting heartburn and acid reflux, especially when I lay down. But I don't want to start the medicine again so I'm just putting up with it hoping it's temporary and will go away on its own soon.

I used to take Omeprazole for GERD but when I had to stop taking it for two weeks for the H Pylori test, I wasn't having any, so I quit taking it. So I quit taking it for two months before surgery and thought I was "cured." Then after the sleeve I started getting heartburn and acid reflux, especially when I lay down. But I don't want to start the medicine again so I'm just putting up with it hoping it's temporary and will go away on its own soon.
How have you been doing?
Has your hearburn or reflux gotten any better?
I am still struggling trying to ween off my pantoprozole now. Been off for 2 weeks and have been taking pepcid. Basically get heartburn everyday. I know rebound acid can be a thing. I am hoping it's going to get better [emoji25]

I take Omeprazole once a day and it takes care of everything. In March I went on a 20 day overseas vacation and ran out of it. I was in pain for a week because the heart burn returned with a vengeance. As soon as i got my Omerprazole prescription filled it took about a day and a half and everything was gone and i was pain free. It was a nightmare without it. I won't be getting off it anytime soon. For me it's a life savor.

9 hours ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

How have you been doing?
Has your hearburn or reflux gotten any better?
I am still struggling trying to ween off my pantoprozole now. Been off for 2 weeks and have been taking pepcid. Basically get heartburn everyday. I know rebound acid can be a thing. I am hoping it's going to get better

Yes, I am completely cured now of GERD and Acid Reflux. I had it for a few weeks post-op, then it went away completely.

I still have heartburn I unfortunately which I heard is a sign you should go through with the rny which I am not ready for. I am 6 months out. So I still just take my omeprozol everyday.